Recent content by tedmingo

1. tedmingo

Quebec audiophile shows off his new Hi-Fi system, very expensive set up

Those 2 power amps can double as heaters as it gets pretty cold in Quebec.
  2. tedmingo

TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro Portable DAC & Amp Review

Ahh! MQA, why ? That ship sailed years ago. Help keep our signal paths clean, say no to MQA.
  3. tedmingo

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

Why is there a volume control? Ya, I know you can bypass it, but has me shaking my head. The crosstalk and the external power supply has me concerned One would not drive my speakers adequately. You are much better off with a made in the good old USA Benchmark AHB2.
  4. tedmingo

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I nearly choked when I saw the $14K price. I'll put my RME up against Dave all day long. I paid $700 for it.
  5. tedmingo

GR Research LGK 2.0 Kit Speaker Review (video)

And while you're at it, don't forget to pick up the $500 speaker cable that will magically transform your music listening experience. o_O
  6. tedmingo

Benchmark AHB2 / Class D Purifi Eigentakt / Mark Levinson 333 - Listening impression & Conclusion

I am a Benchmark fan. I use it to drive a pair of Revel F208's. When I describe the sound of the AHB2 I usually start with how it does not sound. It's the quietest amp I have ever heard. For me an amp should be virtually distortion free, ruler flat and get out of the way.
  7. tedmingo

Amplifier Bakeoff: Purifi Eval1, McIntosh MA252 & Benchmark AHB2

Oh ... I don't know. I use an AHB2 and I play a stringed instrument. I have heard only one other Amp that had better clarity and detail than my Benchmark on stringed instruments, and it was a Single-Ended Class A from Pass Labs. But, hey ! this is all subjective.
  8. tedmingo

Do you need linear power supply for DACs?

I used a HDPLEX 300W power linear DC power supply. This is a high end supply designed for audio.
  9. tedmingo

The main 600w power supply. Although I did not hear any perceptible audio quality, I did benefit from a much more stable music source.
  10. tedmingo

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC, and switched to a linear power supply. For me there is no difference in the sound from the wall wart that comes with the DAC, I also switched to a LPS on my PC music source running Win10/JRiver. I did not get better sound, what I did get was a PC that has become...
  11. tedmingo

Paradigm Founder 100F Measurements (via Soundstage Network)

I'm all for high end, what I disagree with is going over the deep end. If you look at what type of speakers professional recoding engineers/ studios use, you will see speakers that rarely cost more than 2 or 3 K. What they all have in common is that they are the most linear speakers you can get...
  12. tedmingo

Paradigm needs to get away from using marketing gimmicks like Beryllium tweeters. the Persona line is priced for another world. Here in the real world, we need to support the manufactures that build quality and value. What inevitably happens is small innovative speaker manufactures get bought...
  13. tedmingo

I'm glad to see Paradigm coming back to their roots, great sounding speakers for the masses. Anyone can make a great sounding speaker for 20K, the real goal is to make it affordable and not made in China.
  14. tedmingo

speaker cables

SpeakOn connectors are like 5 bucks and they will pass more current than a lot of gold plated expensive banana and spade crap.
  15. tedmingo

speaker cables

I use Benchmark 11 AWG speaker cable with speakOn to locking banana on the speaker side. I payed around 200 bucks for them. In my opinion, spending more than this would be a total waste of money.
Top Bottom