Recent content by Ste_S

1. S

Sennheiser Momentum 4 - wired connections?

Thanks for doing all that testing. If I’m being honest, I can’t really tell the difference between 320kb/s lossy and hi(gher) res lossless. However, I might as well use the wired USB-C when listening on my laptop or desktop, rather than via Bluetooth, if it’s giving 44/48khz lossless.
  2. S

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Absolutely yes. Low - HEY WHAT is one of my favourite albums of recent times, and sounds fantastic. It scores '2' on the Loudness Wars website, with some tracks scoring the bottom score of '1'. Which made me realise DR isn't actually that important.
  3. S

Sennheiser Momentum 4 - wired connections?

Does anyone know how the wired connections on the Sennheiser Momentum 4 work? You can connect digitally via USB-C, or via an analogue headphone cable. I wondered if the USB-C connection allows for higher bit rates than via bluetooth, and if the analogue connection bypasses any ADC/DAC process?
  4. S

True Wireless IEMs with EQ in App? (iOS)

With it being difficult to get system-wide EQ, or even manually adjustable EQ, on iOS, having an app for wireless IEMs that includes EQ is very helpful. I've tried Sennheiser, and their three-band EQ is a bit anaemic. Better is Sony with a five band EQ+Clear Bass, and their WF-C500 are pretty...
  5. S

Moondrop teases Hi-Fi smartphone

It would be so on brand for Sony if they purposely hobbled the headphone amp on Xperia phones so they didn’t take market share from their Walkman DAPs.
  6. S

No system wide PEQ on iOS either.
  7. S

Yeah. Compared to the Sony DAPs in the same price range, this is a bargain. But then Sony's actual Xperia phones are a bargain in comparison to their DAPs.
  8. S

That's why I buy audio equipment through places that offer UK (in my case) returns. Amazon for brands like Moondrop.
  9. S

Reliability and build quality of Chinese Vs. Western Amps and DACs? Can you reliably get 15+ years out of a Topping Stack? Or SMSL? Singxer?

For tech that's still being developled, it is disposable, as they're mostly obsoleted way before any EOL caused by their materials or build. Known tech - analogue amps, wired headphones, turntables, passive speakers (or your woodworking tools example) etc your fine. I wouldn't invest into things...
  10. S

I'd imagine it's going to be comically underpowered to be able to be used as an everyday phone. Interested in one as purely a DAP, however.
  11. S

Reliability and build quality of Chinese Vs. Western Amps and DACs? Can you reliably get 15+ years out of a Topping Stack? Or SMSL? Singxer?

Which company and/or which model are you referring to; is there a specific product? Every company has QA issues, but it takes multiple reports of issues to turn into a problem with company or product. As with anything, I would always suggest buying from sellers that have a good returns policy...
  12. S

Nope. We don't know what digital audio will look like in 5,10,15 years time. Will there be a new standard for spatial audio? Will there be a new connector standard? Will wireless standards improve so that we get spatial lossless on wireless headphones, making wired obsolete, nuking the whole...
  13. S

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

I don't think you need an specific OTG cable these days? An Amazon basics USB-C to USB-C works for me in connecting both an Android phone and a Macbook Air to a Fiio Q11. Lightening to USB-C, however, is a pain in the arse.
  14. S

Phone as DAP?

Currently have an iPhone 12, and have been impressed by how well a cheap Android phone (my work Samsung A20) is more flexible for music than an iPhone. So, I'm thinking about either moving into Android full time, or purchsing a cheap Android phone of my own to use as a DAP. For the latter, the...
Top Bottom