Recent content by shawndo

1. shawndo

Revel Be series discounted by 25%

in today's world with multi-Kwatt subs, I feel inferior with my measly 400w svs subs heh. I keep telling myself its only a 1bdrm apt. dont need all that...
  2. shawndo

Revel Be series discounted by 25%

I was debating between the F226Be and M126Be before the sale and expecting to pay full price. This thread basically tipped the scale towards the floorstanders if I can figure out how much effort it will be to make them fit well in my small nyc apt along with my 2x12" subs...
  3. shawndo

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

if you are DIY oriented, I'd get an old, beat up olympia cremina and refurbish it. They are popular and even un-refurbished, they might go for $1k+, but they are solid. there are tons of videos, blog posts, etc on how to do this. Just basic hand tools. Awesome machines. Those and La Pavoni are...
  4. shawndo

nice! is that a londinium?
  5. shawndo

you are gonna have to declare a budget, otherwise we'll get the wilson-audio type statements. unless thats what you want.
  6. shawndo

Not sure how out of touch I am, but I'd say $1000 is the minimum for an decent (not to be confused with Decent) espresso machine and grinder. Any less and I'd just buy a capable grinder and do pourover until I save up for the espresso machine. (I'm out of town right now and surviving with my...
  7. shawndo

with a tight budget for a grinder, the best values are usually manual as mentioned in other posts. I've had decent experience with the Lido grinders. the Lido E-T is made for espresso and just at your budget. After that, i'd look at the Timemores and 1zpressos.
  8. shawndo

Agree. To me, EY% is more about consistency(precision) not "quality"(accuracy). When I discussed this with the Kafatek guy, he uses EY% as a final QC check before he sends out each grinder to make sure they match his reference ones. I use a refractometer to get me into a ballpark 20% when...
  9. shawndo

The wealth-building thread

unless they spend the money and get good lobbyists. example of a private currency that didn't buy enough politicians. if there are congress-people with significant BTC investments, it'll stick around.
  10. shawndo

I live in NYC and space is definitely a premium. That said, i drilled a hole through my granite for this machine. I made space, but sometimes regret it. I'm committed now though, heh. If I was doing it all over again though, I'd probably just stick with an Olympia Cremina. I'd still need...
  11. shawndo

Just an ultra-nerd who has been on the coffee forums since 2010 or so. When someone wants to know how much of a coffee ultranerd I am, I show them how I sample coffee with a refractometer to get the TDS/extraction yields. Coffee has measurements too!
  12. shawndo

These grinders are all pre-shuriken. Im using the conical with mazzer robur burrs for regular blended espresso and the Max has some SSP non-espresso brew burrs for pourover. I think they were a special SSP production run for Titus grinders. (it has a their logo on it) Its basically fancy EK43...
  13. shawndo

Realizing I've got more invested in coffee gear than audio. I'm gonna have to get fancier speakers! Thats a Slayer and 2 different Kafatek grinders and various pourover tools. There is also an Olympia Cremina as an emergency backup.
  14. shawndo

Floorstander with subs vs Bookshelfs and subs

when you added subs to floorstanders, were you doing a crossover or anything? (if so, what settings) or just purely additive?
  15. shawndo

Floorstander with subs vs Bookshelfs and subs

When I search for this topic I only find "floorstanders vs bookshelfs with subs". I'm trying to find what the differences might be between floorstanders with subs vs bookshelfs with subs. (with a crossover and dirac). Would it just be purely SPL if the speakers are from the same product line...
Top Bottom