Recent content by R Swerdlow

1. R Swerdlow

Bi-amp, bi-wire, passive crossover & active crossover interaction

Most pro audio involves moving a sound system from one location to another, and setting it up to suit the acoustics of a particular setting. This gets done again and again every time the sound system is moved to a different location. Pro audio sound technicians are supposed to know how to...
  2. R Swerdlow

Capacitor upgrade in crossover - You CAN'T handle the TRUTH! - Part 3

That could easily be the case. I'm relying on memory of an afternoon more than 10 years ago. It could have been the peak voltage that becomes roughly 150 watts. The speakers were DIY 2-way tower speakers with ~6-8 ohm impedance. The take home lesson was that transient (20 µsec) voltage peaks...
  3. R Swerdlow

Capacitor upgrade in crossover - You CAN'T handle the TRUTH! - Part 3

Maximum voltage depends on the time frame for measurement. Well under 50 volts is probably true for average voltage. But for transients, it may be much higher. Years ago, I met an EE named Bob Cordell at a DIY speaker building meeting in the Maryland, Washington, Virginia area. In the past...
  4. R Swerdlow

Bi-amping Revel Salon2 makes an ABX audible difference

The OP admitted he didn't do a blind comparison test. Instead, he made recordings made with standard wiring and bi-amping, and compared them in an ABX manner. Unfortunately, he didn't run a series of comparison ABX tests, where one was done with recordings of std. wiring vs. bi-amping and the...
  5. R Swerdlow

Bi-amping Revel Salon2 makes an ABX audible difference

You conducted the listening tests while you were fully aware of the speaker/amp wiring arrangements. You were not blinded. Claiming that your results were unaffected by such well-known sources of measurement bias is not enough. You must, at least, conduct the same tests while blinded and while...
  6. R Swerdlow

Published Research on Bi-Wiring Speakers

I agree with most of the posts above, especially with the 2 from theREALdotnet. The link from Q Acoustics is well written in general. As an example, see the 3rd paragraph quoted below. The italics are mine.: Q Acoustics pointed out that "there is no real published evidence to prove that the...
  7. R Swerdlow

BMR Tower vs Revel F328Be Compared

I don't doubt your listener's impressions. But, so far, I don't see measurements that support them. Your original post contained this REW comparison of the BMR Towers (in red) and the Revel F328Be (in green). Above 7 kHz, both tweeters display essentially similar roll off patterns in SPL...
  8. R Swerdlow

BMR Tower vs Revel F328Be Compared

The crossover frequencies on the BMR Tower are at 850 and 3,800 Hz. Between those two frequencies, the two mid-range BMR drivers are in use. It is worth remembering that in the BMR Tower, these mid-range drivers are arranged in MTM fashion, above & below the ribbon tweeter. James Larson...
  9. R Swerdlow

Can we discuss the BMR Tower?

I do appreciate that your comment is indeed constructive. Please don't take my posts as an unreasonable defense. James Larson said in his review: On AH, he also was asked about the 600 Hz bump. He replied: This does suggest that the various graphs showing the 600 Hz bump have a greater...
  10. R Swerdlow

The reviewer, James Larson, mentioned this hump: I think it looks like it stands about 2-3 db above the nearby sound, not such a large hump. If it is a port resonance, it may be due to limitations in the cabinet dimensions that prevent using a wider port. Would a notch filter lower that port...
  11. R Swerdlow

Research on reflections

The BMR speaker is a 3-way speaker, and the KEF LS50 is a 2-way. By considering only the dispersion of the RAAL 64-10 tweeter of the BMR, you ignored the significant off-axis contribution of the BMR's mid-range driver. I find it difficult to make any useful conclusions in comparing them to the...
  12. R Swerdlow

Effects of cables on signal propogation

I'm not an EE, but I have reviewed and edited scientific publications in other fields. I had a few thoughts after reading the EE Times link. This was published in 2007. If this was an important finding, why haven’t we heard about this since then? References 1, 2, and 5 are the previous work...
  13. R Swerdlow

What makes speakers "disappear " and can it be measured?

What makes speakers disappear is a complex topic. Others in this thread have already mentioned a number of individual features that can contribute to this. But there is no single feature that does this. A number of years ago the late Jeff Bagby wrote about this, although he spoke of 'speaker...
  14. R Swerdlow

Nice Talk with Jim Salk About Speaker Design from Daily HiFi

My impression from meeting Jim several times is exactly the same. It makes speaking with him, memorable and even fun. I've ordered products from Jim on three different occasions. His calm, no nonsense unflappability, his knowledge of speaker design, as well as his straight-forward honesty...
  15. R Swerdlow

Someone did previously come up with 2-way design, combining a 6½" woofer with a BMR driver as a tweeter. If I remember correctly, that speaker, the Cambridge Audio Aero 2, sold for about $500 a pair. It's woofer was good, but using the BMR driver as a tweeter was not good. There was some buzz...
Top Bottom