Recent content by orangejello

1. O

Beethoven's Hammerklavier - too fast or too slow?

Thanks for sharing the Gulda video. Really enjoyed it. Richard Goode makes me hear more in the music than almost any other pianist, Ivan Moravec excepted. Here is his Hammerklavier Goode Opus 129. His articulation is just a notch above Gulda for me.
  2. O

A Call For Humor!

What did the DeadHead say when he ran out of weed? …….. This band SUCKS!
  3. O

How Dangerous is AI?

Goeffrey Hinton just quit Google. NYTimes appears to have broken the story. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/01/technology/ai-google-chatbot-engineer-quits-hinton.html He is the one of the two or three leading minds that did the seminal work and one of his students started OpenAI. He has...
  4. O

M-Audio BX8 D3 Monitor Review

I bought the original BX8 at least 10 years ago. I originally used them as keyboard/piano monitors because they sounded tonally correct to me. Then they moved out onto the back patio (which is partially enclosed on three sides) and lived there for 5 years. They were hooked up to an old iPad...
  5. O

“Modern Baroque” by Apollo’s Fire

Thanks for sharing. Very spirited. I can easily imagine such a group in Germany - but Cleveland? It reminds me of the high quality of American orchestras post WWII. Does me good to know that musicians and groups like this still exist In the US. The Monteverde is particularly wonderful.
  6. O

Stereophile cable review

To be honest, there was a time when I thought I heard differences in cables. Thinking back on it it is almost surreal how intensely I and my audio buddies listened to WIRE! From a psychoacoustic point of view I think that all that was happening was that we were paying more attention than usual...
  7. O

DIY Class A Amp

Depends on what you want to do. I’ve had a couple of Class A amps, one very highly regarded. I got a smokin deal on NAD M22 v2 (nc400 based) and never looked back. I prefer it to my class A amps and my various tube amps. It is clean, powerful, and efficient. Checks all of my boxes. I...
  8. O

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

Ok. Change of heart. I’ve had these for awhile now in a small cabina in Costa Rica. The tone controls are great for dealing with the idiosyncrasies of cement block walls and funky layout. The result is thoroughly enjoyable. I’m curious about the embedded class d amp. Sounds real good to me and...
  9. O

Vandersteen VLR Speaker Review

I remember auditioning the 1B and the 2Ce because Stereophile and TAS pumped the hell out of them back in the day. I remember thinking something like “who turned out the lights” when I listened to them. They sounded muffled and dead. They smeared details like nobody’s business, even with plenty...
  10. O

Farewell my friends. Health is deteriorating - I'm fading out. (Updated - RIP)

Glad to hear that you are still among the living, but sorry for your difficulties. The video Looks like the birds I see every day from my cabina. I live in a cloud forest in a little town called Tinamaste at about 2600 ft, but only 10 miles from the beach at Dominical. My partner bought a little...
  11. O

OLED - Sony or LG,

Is it just me or is color reproduction with OLED still inferior to plasma? None of them look as good to me as my Panasonic plasma. But I only see OLED in Costco - not in my home with good calibration.
  12. O

Which speakers gave you the *wow* factor?

Fuselier. Bought the fusilier 5’s in the late eighties. They wow’ed everyone that heard them. They just disappeared. followed by the Basic 6 (which eventually wound up in the home of a blind musician friend who proclaimed that they were the clearest speakers she had ever heard) and the the...
  13. O

Reality Is Overrated When It Comes to Recordings (Article from music Engineer/Producer)

The Mercury Living Presence recordings were fetishized by Harry Pearson writing for The Absolute Sound. I collected them on a “catch as catch can” basis over the years. I wound up with quite a few very good copies because I lived in Boston during the ascendency of CD when everyone was ditching...
  14. O

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

I bought the Kanto YU6 based on Amir's recommendation. I've had them for several weeks. Can't seem to get into them at all. Natural instruments do not sound natural nor do voices. I have tried various speaker positions within the limits of the space that I have to work with. But I never...
Top Bottom