Recent content by nqa3

1. nqa3

Any DAC above $2 is a scam you DO NOT pay for Audio Quality you pay for Features (Article)

What measurement(s) should I look into? I used REW to measure frequency response - is it related? BeoPlay was donated already; not sure if the ncore amp which I use currently could tell the difference yet, nothing about input on the spec. I do recall volume on BeoPlay had to be quiet high for...
  2. nqa3

Any DAC above $2 is a scam you DO NOT pay for Audio Quality you pay for Features (Article)

I used line-in to the speaker. Despite being marketed "wireless" its connectivity was barely usable. For SB I installed only the driver extracted from .cab without any app or tray icon, since there were lots of complaints.
  3. nqa3

If the onboard DAC is that good, how come I can hear more dynamic and clear sound after changing from ALC892 to cheap SB, using the same speaker? The speaker was just a BeoPlay A6 which is hardly audiophile, and the main difference is not bass but overall. Are some shortcomings amplified by...
  4. nqa3

Need advice on using PC as a 5.1 decoder for other source (PS4/PS5).

BTW if OP can accept optical Dolby digital 5.1 in with no future upgrade possible, I learned Creative Sound Blaster X7 supports that officially and it also has a simple direct optical to analog mode. The price is quite high for a sound card though (more than $300 vs $500-$600 for cheapest Yahama...
  5. nqa3

Beside this, the last option I found is https://blog.benjojo.co.uk/post/cheap-hdmi-capture-for-linux Use a pair of cheap HDMI-to-IP extenders and app like https://github.com/benjojo/de-ip-hdmi to simulate RX side and capture packets from TX, which can then be decoded by mplayer/ffmpeg...
  6. nqa3

I have the same problem, but the reason is mainly that non-PC can stream higher quality AV from major providers due to content restrictions. 1. Have you tried the Evolve II-4K HDMI already? Does it add delay or degrade the sound (since you need ADC to get it back to PC) when used with miniDSP...
  7. nqa3

Bluetooth and rain resistant?

All right, figured even $300 in-ear and earbuds are garbage compared to over-ears. It should be better if I just buy a proper bluetooth receiver like Earstudio HUD100
  8. nqa3

EMI/RFI shielding for USB sound card

The case is plastic...
  9. nqa3

EMI/RFI shielding for USB sound card

Has anyone done that before? The sound card isn't contained in aluminium case like most DAC or amps and that might explain some people have noise issue. I found a few options: - aluminium case with customization for holes, like Amplifier DIY Box 100% Aluminium or Extruded Aluminum Enclosure...
  10. nqa3

Is PC audio output dangerous?

Update: Nobsound's sucks. Medium volume and it feels a bit muddy. can't afford a good one so I will just run without preamp...
  11. nqa3

What headphone(s) do you own ?

current: - RS 185 for movies - Momentum 2 for outdoor - HD 630VB, bought at 40% discount (nobody like that one??) gave away: - RS 165 - HD 598 - HD 600 with some amp
  12. nqa3

Thanks! But an Okto DAC 8 Pro is over $1000 - what would justify the cost compared to a $100 sound card like Creative's? Would the differences of analog performance be audible from speakers, e.g. -120 dB vs -90 dB SINAD or 0.00003% vs 0.1% THD? I don't need mic, headphone on it or any...
  13. nqa3

Bluetooth and rain resistant?

Been trying to find a proper solution for outdoor headphone since those crazy smartphone makers removed 3.5mm and all the USB-C to 3.5mm adapters break easily in tight pocket. I've been forced to use a bluetooth adapter for a year, which produces surprisingly bad and muddy sound compared to...
  14. nqa3

1: Any suggestion on this? I can only find stereo preamp and something like NAD M17 4. was going add a USB soundcard yes. Not sure if their volume control is by hardware... Maybe Creative Sound Blaster X3 ?
  15. nqa3

Would a simple passive amp like Nobsound's be sufficient? I could put one per two channels and then one in front of subwoofer etc, with fixed volume. EDIT: Perhaps not needed for active subwoofer?
Top Bottom