Recent content by Jack B

1. J

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

I can only respond to part of your inquiry and only subjectively. I have read that the DACs are not top-of-the-line; is this audible performance, or only numbers-chasing? Dunno. Can report that I am using my 4800 as a front-end, with a reasonably powerful separate amp for the three front...
  2. J

Does this mean it "appeeled" to you?
  3. J

Back Wall Treatment for Home Theater

For another point of view on this topic, you might want to read Dr. Floyd Toole's book SOUND REPRODUCTION. It is a wealth of information, mostly based on sound (forgive the pun!) acoustical research, and is also a fun read. Highly recommended!
  4. J

Neil Young PONO player Review

And the string would have to be supported off the floor (or table, or whatever) by a series of expensive proprietary magic columns made with unobtanium.
  5. J

How to determine the cause of dynamic compression

Somewhat similar situation; not sure if I am experiencing (or hearing) dynamic range compression in the playback system, nor whether it exists (to any degree). In playing good recordings of symphonic music, using an ATI 4003 amplifier (crossed over at 80 Hz to subwoofers) driving Revel F228Be...
  6. J

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Thanks very much! So it wouldn't matter if I used the old desktop machine (that I am presently using with REW), or the damn Dell laptop, to use Multeq-X? That is a relief. Now, if anybody could advise me if I can "fix" the laptop, it would be icing on the cake (though probably off-topic...
  7. J

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Forgive my ignorance, but I need advice before springing for Multeq-X. A couple years ago I downloaded REW and bought a UMIK-1. Hooked it up to my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1700), fired up REW and did some measurements, only to find that the in-room measurement fell off VERY rapidly below 50 Hz...
  8. J

Monty Python lives!
  9. J

"I hear what I hear and believe what I want to believe, and if you find fault with that, you all have tin ears. Also, you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny"
  10. J

Double-blind testing might change your opinion(s). Human hearing is subject to a lot of factors including confirmation bias, that are impossible to overrule even with the best of intellectual intentions.
  11. J

Thank you for your logic and kind patience...some topics almost invite snarky replies, and you have consistently avoided taking the bait. Good on you!
  12. J

Duuh, what is a Shield?
  13. J

I'll drink to that!
Top Bottom