Recent content by D!sco

1. D

Sigberg Audio Manta (12" wideband cardioid active speakers) development thread

All of my DIY speakers are white for the reasons stated above. I would only use black in a dark room, like a dedicated theater or mounted to walls or pillars. A nice veneer would suit these well, though I think the slots would be particularly difficult. With the side slots you can't even get...
  2. D

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

I would love to see the tekton linear speaker design cookbook. Anyone else? Methods of measurement, crossover explanations, driver placement and distance. Hardware, software, literally anything. If there’s a time, it’s now.
  3. D

All-including kit for DIY bookshelf speakers?

What are your limitations? I can see the best budget option (hivi 3.1A) is too big, but have you settled on a size? A listening distance and SPL? An f3 or f10 in mind for bass output? Do you already have amps or do they need to fit into the budget? It’s pretty tough to answer without a few of...
  4. D

Directiva r2 monitor prototype build

Is the team still using the 5” ceramic SB Acoustics woofer?
  5. D

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

What’s so funny about this takedown is that Erin’s review gave me a better impression of tekton than I wanted to give them at a glance. The compromises became clear and the tone seemed acceptable. Price notwithstanding, I was finally interested in their theories. Now they can hang.
  6. D

DIY Omni Dodecahedron Speaker

Nice job! If you were to wrap a foam sphere around the speakers, it would look like a real lifestyle product. This might be the perfect opportunity for a pair of sealed 6-8" corner speakers. They would handle the midbass quite well as well as add some needed sub.
  7. D

DIY speakers

I was just reflecting on why adding resistance to the midrange and treble may not be particularly noticeable, and I am coming around to believing that the bottom 1khz and below matter most. This makes the woofer the most important part of a three way. Definitely giving that link a read sometime...
  8. D

DIY speakers

Not sure if you care, but I found this to be quite interesting and unexpected. Only the top two octaves play fundamentals above 1khz. The rest of the audio spectrum is typically filled with room acoustics and natural harmonics by recordings. By playing C6, you produce 1khz at the fundamental...
  9. D

DIY speakers

I only ever notice attenuation like that after an hour or more of listening. Then it matters a lot. Last week I pushed my low shelf filter all the way down to 800hz, which is exactly where your responses diverge now. It broke my brain a little realizing that’s about where my internal concept of...
  10. D

Directiva r1.2 design and build

I’m here for vicarious project action shots. My house is full :(
  11. D

DIY speakers

This looks absolutely incredible. That bass response is shockingly low. I am also super curious about your box and off-axis responses. What made you decide to point the port forward?
  12. D

Being good until 4khz isn't the end of the world. You could inset the drivers deeper and use a flare to tighten their directivity, but I can't imagine that would be easy.
  13. D

Is a full sphere really necessary for a wall or ceiling mounted device? Wouldn't a hemisphere or half sphere accomplish the same without ceiling bounce? I'm very impressed, but this seems like a standmount omni design to me.
  14. D

Best DIY speaker type (and radiation pattern) for listening to podcasts and audio books in a large room?

Would you mind if I asked about your process here? I'd think a second CNC'd part would be required to stabilize the second side's machining, right? Beautiful work.
  15. D

Best DIY speaker type (and radiation pattern) for listening to podcasts and audio books in a large room?

I think a high quality mono solution would be best. You can easily use single drivers to fill your listening space, localization and stereo imaging isn't important for podcasts and other talk shows, typically. A quality wideband driver will cover the telephonic vocal range very easily. A small...
Top Bottom