Recent content by ctrl

1. C

linkwitz lxmini

Thanks for pointing that out, that might explain the deep dip around 13kHz in Erin's on-axis measurement compared to SL original measurement. It is probably not possible for the manufacturer to produce the break-up behavior of the driver always constant. Therefore, as you say, it makes sense to...
  2. C

linkwitz lxmini

So, now we have the first complete measurements of the LXmini and the results are very interesting - to keep the post from becoming page long, just a few notes.... In two posts (see here and here) I tried to analyze the LXmini a bit based on S. Linkwitz (SL) original measurements. Some things...
  3. C

linkwitz lxmini

That's dope! I'm already very excited about the vertical measurements. The horizontal measurements of S. Linkwitz indicate what possible reasons for the subjectively positive hearing impression reported by many could be. On the one hand, the narrow radiation (only +- 40-45°, less diffuse...
  4. C

Different Binding Posts - is it audible?

If you have learned this, then it is only a small step to calculate the differences when using different material (or "quality") of BP and different cable diameter and length - there are online calculators for this, so you don't even have to learn the theory. Let's consider, for fun, the effect...
  5. C

Capacitor upgrade in crossover - You CAN'T handle the TRUTH! - Part 3

I can't say much about that. As a hobby designer of loudspeakers, I always leave the crossovers outside the cabinet in my own projects. I have never noticed that capacitors have heated up significantly. I had driven large 3-way floorstanding loudspeakers with a 100µF electrolytic capacitor...
  6. C

In most cases, it won't matter. As I said, I would not use bipolar electrolytic capacitors with less than 100VDC. It has been said in other posts that 250W peak power would be sufficient for the transient signals (in most cases). That would be about 30VAC voltage for a 4 ohm speaker. The vast...
  7. C

I think you have confused "watts" with "volts" here. A 4 ohm speaker that requires peak voltages of 150V requires 5625W of amplifier power :eek: Only people who live in a football stadium need that much power ;)
  8. C

With "standard" film capacitors, the dielectric strength is so good that distortion due to high voltage is practically irrelevant. With electrolytic capacitors, the dielectric strength is significantly lower and therefore the distortions are significantly greater, but still at a very low level...
  9. C

Directiva r2 monitor prototype build

A bass module with side-mounted drivers is counterproductive to our efforts to control the radiation, especially the lateral radiation, as far as possible down to low frequencies. Side-firing woofers in the bass module would produce lobes with maximum sound pressure level at +-90°, as a simple...
  10. C

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

The first thing you always have to ask yourself when measuring a loudspeaker is where is the nearest reflecting surface (even "small" surfaces count: chair, table, box, observer standing around, grill, protruding ceiling beam, cat, dog, mutated spiders, hollow man - not sure, ...) and how much...
  11. C

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

The distance of the DUT must be large enough to include all possible effects (e.g. baffle step, edge diffraction, ...) of the loudspeaker cabinet. The rule of thumb suggested in the Arta handbook is: But at a distance of 2m the effects should be minor for most loudspeakers and mainly affect the...
  12. C

Position 1 is not usable for measurements because the wall below the DUT acts like a baffle enlargement and will therefore falsify the measurements in the low frequency range (in the low frequency range the frequency response would be raised). Measurements of the tweeter would probably work on...
  13. C

You measure the diameter from center surround to center surround - see red arrows below:
  14. C

Tube connectors. Wtf

However, you must be aware of the distances through different material that are involved in binding posts. These are a few millimeters compared to the meter-long speaker cable, the many thin wires at the crossover components and soldering points, the voice coil of the driver,... Please, read...
  15. C

Directiva r1 speaker build using Denovo flat pack

A few quick notes: You can also stuff black sealing or foam tape into the spaces between the tweeter and the cutout. Or do the front panel again ;) Each driver must be inserted airtight. If there is no sealing/foam tape or similar attached to the driver's rim, do not install it without it...
Top Bottom