Recent content by ctrl

1. C

B&W 800D4 series

You quote from the white paper of the 800 series, which I had completely overlooked. This explains the phase frequency response with 360° phase shift around the crossover frequency (measured in the review) at around 4kHz although only second order filters slopes are used. A clever approach to...
  2. C

B&W 800D4 series

Yep, fourth order filter are standard and you are right about the group delay. That's why I wrote "those who consider GD important...". Even using these 3-way crossovers, the audibility threshold for GD with artificial signals is just about reached or slightly exceeded - according to current...
  3. C

B&W 800D4 series

Detailed measurements of the 800D3 are available (all images are from there). The D4 should not behave much differently in comparison. Excellent values for harmonic distortion and intermodulation distortion. The speaker's decay behavior is also impeccable. The maximum achievable sound pressure...
  4. C

B&W 800D4 series

Very few people who make such recordings have any background in sound engineering, the results are corresponding. I don't know how the recordings were made, of course, but if I were the owner of a hifi store, I would make sure that the new version of the speaker will sound better in the...
  5. C

B&W 800D4 series

Ideally, the speakers are set up in an A-B-A-B arrangement and the stereo microphones are precisely centered. Then there will be identical interference for both speakers due to phase shifts (different distances of speakers A-A and B-B from the microphones). If the listening room is ideally...
  6. C

The Etymotic Target (R.I.P. Harman)

Here comes my attempt, in a simple way, to explain why the approach with a flat HRTF in the bass sounds less natural. Let's start from the situation that is indisputable and that everyone can agree with. What sound pressure curve arrives at the eardrum with anechoic flat measuring speaker in an...
  7. C

B&W 800D4 series

If you still haven't heard enough listening comparisons between the D3 and the D4 series, here's more... Song 1 original - Time Traveling - Sarah Kang and Anthony Lazaro Song 1 - 802D3 Song 1 - 802D4 Song 2 original - Howling At The Moon - D Fine Us Song 2 - 802D4 Song 2 - 802D3 AB-Comparison...
  8. C

The Etymotic Target (R.I.P. Harman)

Quote from the video: Here is website in the web archive. Such people certainly exist, but perhaps there are other reasons why this site is no longer online. For example, because of statements like this: So all of Etymotic's IE headphone designs are based on the Consumer Reports accuracy...
  9. C

B&W 800D4 series

Weird, with my headphones I can hear a difference, however how much of that depends on the different setup I can't say. Yes, the music selection should have been more challenging. Here is the link to the original St. Germain - Tourist - Latin Note
  10. C

B&W 800D4 series

The online magazine lowbeats.de has published a listening comparison on YouTube of Bowers & Wilkins 802 D3 versus D4 Who is interested can listen here:
  11. C

Do high-efficiency speakers really have better 'dynamics'?

Thank you for the correction. The Seas MU10RB-SL, used in the LX521, is a pure 4'' midrange driver with about 20% higher RMS than the Ciare CH250 and about four to five times the value compared to other 4'' driver with "low RMS".
  12. C

JBL M2 Reference Master Monitor Review

Nope, that would be too easy! As already mentioned you have to measure the drivers individually, for example as described here by @napilopez. You do not have to make 72 measurements for each driver, it is sufficient to measure +-90° in 10° steps instead of +-180°. The other possibility would be...
  13. C

JBL M2 Reference Master Monitor Review

If the green curve is a near field measurement of the BR port, then you have a problem. Near field in this case means measured directly at the BR port output (no distance from the BR-Port to avoid room resonances). You should not get a 15dB drop around 42Hz.
  14. C

Do high-efficiency speakers really have better 'dynamics'?

This is an interesting and good driver. In terms of dynamics, this is an extended midrange driver. With +-0.5mm linear excursion, a use down to 150-200Hz is possible for a "normal" dynamic range - lower leads to objective dynamic loss due to the low linear excursion. The RMS value is indeed low...
  15. C

March Audio Sointuva

L and R speakers independently. This gives you more options when analyzing the data.
Top Bottom