Recent content by Another Bob

1. Another Bob

FS/US: Massdrop THX AAA 789 Headphone Amp - $120 shipped

For sale (US only): Massdrop THX AAA 789 headphone amp. ASR review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-massdrop-thx-aaa-789-amp.5001/ Like new condition. No functional issues. Comes in original box with all original packing material.
  2. Another Bob

Dr. Sean Olive on 35 Years of “Fast Car”

I think there are two reasons for this: Sparse recordings better highlight many of the things audiophiles like to go on about, such as decay, imaging, etc. It can be useful (as Dr. Olive points out), making it easier to isolate certain effects, but sometimes what is being sold as a...
  3. Another Bob

JBL Studio 590 Speaker Review

I tried a Faital HF108R on the Studio 590 horn. It didn't go any lower, nor was it any smoother than with the stock driver. Don't know about distortion. A complicating issue is that there is a molded plastic sub-enclosure behind the compression driver (visible in the first photo of post #69)...
  4. Another Bob

Differing vertical plots from Erin and Amir

Curious to be sure, and worthy of investigation. But let's keep things in perspective. For most listeners, with most music, those differences above 10k will have minimal audible impact. Throughout the range where it really matters, the two measurements are in very good agreement. Hardly a...
  5. Another Bob

Fan-less silent PC

Akasa Turing sells fanless cases on Amazon that are designed to take the guts of a NUC. They have different case models for different NUC models. I did this for my AV PC and it has worked out well and never gets too warm, but then again, most of the time it is only running JRiver so it is not...
  6. Another Bob

End Game DIY Loudspeakers

To be clear, this is not just something I've read about. I've done it. On two different speakers. The results, both subjectively and measured with REW, speak for themselves.
  7. Another Bob

But all that is really unnecessary. If you use something like Audiolense or Acourate, all you have to do is measure the acoustic output of the drivers and the software takes care of the rest.
  8. Another Bob

As has already been mentioned, unless you're already a highly experienced speaker designer and proficient with advanced modeling tools, you should stick to copying an existing design. (That assumes, as stated, that the goal is an "end game" speaker.) And if you're not pretty decent woodworker...
  9. Another Bob

Canton Vento 826.2 Speaker Review

The Music Room (www.tmraudio.com) in Erie, Colorado sells Canton. The only Vento bookshelf speaker I see on their site is the model 20 at $1,695.
  10. Another Bob

HiFi axioms

In the electronics realm, I agree 100% (although I think #9 is essentially redundant with #5 and therefore unnecessary). With speakers, things are less straightforward. It's not that there's any magic or unmeasurable phenomena, but I'm not sure we know what a full set of measurements should...
  11. Another Bob

Time aligned speakers - do they make sense?

With non-coincident drivers, any speaker can only be phase- or time-aligned at one particular axis, regardless of whether the alignment is done electronically or physically. This is why the vertical off-axis frequency response looks so bad. I consider a speaker to be phase-aligned on the axis...
  12. Another Bob

SOLD - JBL Studio 590 speakers REDUCED - Madison, WI pickup only - SOLD

I have a pair of JBL Studio 590 floorstanding speakers for sale: $500 firm. JBL's product page is here. Amir's review of the smallest of the Studio 5xx line is here. I have modified these by adding internal cabinet bracing and Sonic Barrier panel damping. No scratches, dings, or other...
  13. Another Bob

Speaker Design: choices vs limitations

Unfortunately, I can't. I remember one AES paper in particular that measured many midrange enclosure shapes, but that was probably 20+ years ago and I have no idea what the title was or who the author was. And much of the DIY stuff tends to be buried in threads with titles that don't help the...
  14. Another Bob

Speaker Design: choices vs limitations

An organ pipe has no parallel surfaces and resonates like crazy. Not quite the same thing, obviously, but the point still stands. There is a ton of research out there - by the professionals as well as the DIY community - on enclosure shapes. I think it can be summarized as: yes, it makes a...
  15. Another Bob

End Game Speakers

It's not clear why you've apparently ruled out the Salon 2 (among others). I'm guessing by the fact that he has his eye on the Legacy Aeris that imposing size, large output capability, and perhaps flashy cabinetry are what makes it feel like an end game speaker? But again, I think the Salon 2...
Top Bottom