• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had many a similar discussion on the Roon Community. There's a hardcore of die-hard audiophiles over there who swear they can hear "improvements" using amongst other things the Uptone etherRegen, "audiophile" network switches, network cables and power cables, fibre converters, power conditioners and all other manner of other snake-oil products. It all descends into hissy-fits and name calling as soon as blind A/B/X testing, expectation or confirmation bias are mentioned......

One Rooner recently posted somewhere else looking for the fastest SSD possible. He thought ti would make Roon work better, sound better, etc.

gfinlays

The strange thing is, despite obsessing over the minutiae where it comes to hifi setups, the majority of Roon audiophiles don't have the foggiest clue about setting up even the most basic of networks to allow a wrinkle free user experience.

radix

Major Contributor
I know you all have harped on AudioQuest ethernet cables already, but I just cannot help it. It was like watching a car crash -- I had to open their US Retail Price Book. And there on page 45 is a 12m Ethernet cable for $11,000.00. I mean, those are not Rupees, those are USD.

Ethernet, especially gigabit and beyond, are designed so the mean time to false packet acceptance (MTTFPA) is measured in months to years at bit error rates unlikely ever be seen in home setups. I don't think I've ever seen a CRC error on my home networking gear. Also, many streaming protocols run over TCP, so there's yet another checksum for errors and error correction.

I'm all for decent CAT-6 cables, but how can someone charge $11k for a "directional" ethernet cable? One of the great things about digital is error correction and retransmission and bit-perfect playback. I mean, for the cost of 2 cables (NAS to switch, switch to computer), could wire my house in fiber and still have money for beer. Lots of beer.

People must buy these for bragging rights? What could someone ever plug a $11k ethernet cable into? A linksys?

Maybe I should come out with the $100k BSCCO superconductor liquid cooled audio cable, with a $12k/mo liquid nitrogen refill subscription (add $5k/mo if you want the Hermes edition dewars). I'd only need to sell a couple. Just make sure your cat doesn't eat the cable. It will freeze their tongue off and poison them with strontium.

Anyway, thinks for reading this far.

Marc

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I know you all have harped on AudioQuest ethernet cables already, but I just cannot help it. It was like watching a car crash -- I had to open their US Retail Price Book. And there on page 45 is a 12m Ethernet cable for $11,000.00. I mean, those are not Rupees, those are USD.

Ethernet, especially gigabit and beyond, are designed so the mean time to false packet acceptance (MTTFPA) is measured in months to years at bit error rates unlikely ever be seen in home setups. I don't think I've ever seen a CRC error on my home networking gear. Also, many streaming protocols run over TCP, so there's yet another checksum for errors and error correction.

I'm all for decent CAT-6 cables, but how can someone charge $11k for a "directional" ethernet cable? One of the great things about digital is error correction and retransmission and bit-perfect playback. I mean, for the cost of 2 cables (NAS to switch, switch to computer), could wire my house in fiber and still have money for beer. Lots of beer.

People must buy these for bragging rights? What could someone ever plug a $11k ethernet cable into? A linksys?

Maybe I should come out with the $100k BSCCO superconductor liquid cooled audio cable, with a $12k/mo liquid nitrogen refill subscription (add $5k/mo if you want the Hermes edition dewars). I'd only need to sell a couple. Just make sure your cat doesn't eat the cable. It will freeze their tongue off and poison them with strontium.

Marc

I suspect you are supposed to use something like this with your AudioQuest cable:
Waversa WRouter | Kevalin Audio

"Audio grade" router, only $4500 US.

But one switch and two cables? No...

The way to go according to audio Ethernet "believers" is to string multiple "audio" switches together, from different suppliers, so many more special cables required as well - you can find threads in some forums where they listen to their switches plugged together in different orders and "compare" the results.

gfinlays

Marc
You need to have a read over on the Roon Community or somewhere like Audiophile Style - no shortage of believers in ethernet cables, "audiophile" switches and ethernet regenerators/reclockers making audible improvements. Apparently it's all about the noise getting into the analogue stages from ethernet via the ground plane :facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect you are supposed to use something like this with your AudioQuest cable:
Waversa WRouter | Kevalin Audio

"Audio grade" router, only $4500 US.

But one switch and two cables? No...

The way to go according to audio Ethernet "believers" is to string multiple "audio" switches together, from different suppliers, so many more special cables required as well - you can find threads in some forums where they listen to their switches plugged together in different orders and "compare" the results.
One would think a person purchasing exorbitantly priced network cables and a router would get some basic digital fundamentals knowledge so they know what they are purchasing. Alternatively somebody in the know at a retailer might suggest they stay away from such voodoo hardware. :facepalm:

Propheticus

One would think a person purchasing exorbitantly priced network cables and a router would get some basic digital fundamentals knowledge so they know what they are purchasing. Alternatively somebody in the know at a retailer might suggest they stay away from such voodoo hardware. :facepalm:
Someone with that basic knowledge would not buy them.
Depending on the guy selling you something against insane margins to tell you whether they think you need something... You can predict the answer. A retailer in the know with a working moral compass would not stock the product to begin with.

sq225917

Major Contributor
9:40 Naim discover crystal xo's are susceptible to vibration...

Surely, they could have just read the spec sheets....

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'd love to know the scientific basis on which the existence/need for cable lifters could be explained....

It is the inherent and quite large interactions between wood, cement and the electrons in your speaker wire. Running your wire anywhere near any wood surface is the death knell of high end audio. The wood fibers impart forces in the electrons in the copper that would not ordinarily be there. The proof of course is that NASA never uses wood to build all the interior cabinets for all the electronics gear on rockets. Elon Musk then took this another step further and declared their would never be dangerous wood or particle board on a Falcon 9 near the control electronics. Don't believe me? Call up NASA or SpaceX and ask how much wood is on their various rockets etc. When they tell you "none", my point is proven. So, buy those cable lifters! Just make sure they are not made of wood.

I REALLY need to get into the snake oil business. I am missing out on so much easy money. :)

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The reason he quotes for shaking them is total marketing bullshit, but shaking them is 100% an efficient way to weed out early failures, and that's why they do it.

But as an audio company he HAD to give the snake oil answer. Why else would people pay high dollar for their products? Snake oil is alive and well at audio companies. He did tell a few whopper lies too. His mentioning doing a blind test was fake. But, he knows no one will call him on it.

Grumpish

I can't find it again, but I came across one very amusing review telling all about the incredible improvements some $1k ethernet cable made. What was amusing was that the reviewer spent a lot of time explaining how his years of experience in a data centre qualified him and legitimised the review - and then proceeded to demonstrate that he didn't have a clue about how ethernet and TCP\IP actually work.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I can't find it again, but I came across one very amusing review telling all about the incredible improvements some $1k ethernet cable made. What was amusing was that the reviewer spent a lot of time explaining how his years of experience in a data centre qualified him and legitimised the review - and then proceeded to demonstrate that he didn't have a clue about how ethernet and TCP\IP actually work.

Yes, a daily issue on these forums. We all discuss stories where the person has no clue about the product they are talking about. Zero science and education. The lift to take someone from zero to hero in audio is huge. If they are not wanting to take the trip then it is not worth trying to "make" them see the light.

See how I used subjectivists terms to make my objectivist rant? I think I just impressed my cat. :)

Top Bottom