• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I no longer drink because once I start I don’t stop.

Martin

I know lots of people like that. They treat drinking like eating potato chips. Heck when I was younger, I did that every now and then too but my wife always put her foot down and stopped me after a few months. She was a good woman!

egellings

Major Contributor
I take my drinking advice form the pages of Modern Drunkard Magazine.

Kalessin

Forum Donor
OK, I need the opinion of our drinkers. What does it mean when the only wine I like is Merlot, I don't really care for beer or whiskey but I do like what are considered girly drinks, or fruit flavored drinks with rum or vodka. I do like long island ice teas too. Am I just a finicky drinker? Oh and to add, I rarely drink. What kind of a decent human being am I? Crazy? I just don't know. What do you guys think?

I think the liver is evil and must be punished.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm reminded of the husband of a friend of my wife's, who built a sound system in the basement of their large home. We visited, and they took us on a tour. During the tour, he turned on and cranked up the sound system, interrupting an ongoing conversation between my wife and her friend, to which I had been listening (my wife's friend was far more interesting than he was, it must be admitted, despite my own interest in sound systems). As he bopped his head to the music, utterly unable to read the room and therefore missing that it was the wrong time for a demonstration, I was reminded from even further back of...

...Stanley Tibbets, the conductor of an orchestra in San Francisco in the movie Foul Play. He keeps thinking (the incomparable) Goldie Hawn has the hots for him, in spite of all evidence, and notwithstanding that events keep pushing them into the same space at the same time.

stanley_tibbets.JPG

"I've got it all!"

For the objective he had in mind, consider all the snake-oil products in view, none of which will help him attain that objective, but all of which may help him hide that fact from himself while depleting his available cash. That is, of course, the whole point of snake oil.

Rick "aside: one of the few actors who could conduct with some semblance of stick technique, but, of course, a first-class pianist" Denney

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This post I made occured just after the thread on the OCD Hi-Fi Guy youtube channel thread was closed. Figured it's pertinant here:

I've stumbled across OCD Hi-Fi Guy youtube channel occasionally, most recently his "9 Ugly Truths About High End Audio" video.

Before watching it, if I could have bet our entire savings for our children's education on him propounding some misleading nonsense, I would have done so on a sure bet.

Sure enough, only moments in to the video he's advising other audiophiles that "you can't image properly unless you have a DAC that can do that. Or a tape of phono preamp that can do that." How much does he say you have to pay to get that performance from one of those items? "Between $3,000 - $5,000" He specifically mentions you will not get this from, for example, a Benchmark DAC.

And of course he sells this kind of stuff.

And the youtube comments are overwhelmingly filled with positive agreement with his video.

Sigh...

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A 5000$ thin flat silver power cord that eliminates skin effect at 50/60Hz... (and it needs a run in of course... see @18:00)

The perfect audiophile with a wide stage, not of sound, but of gear.
Who has 59 minutes+ of patience to watch that anyway; not meeee.

I prefer enjoying music instead.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get 'em while they're hot, boys!

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/ar...s-new-supreme-reference-cable-range-odin-gold

It's like there is no end to the sonic improvements in cables, and audiophiles have some limitless capability of hearing down in to the noise floor. At this point scientists could employ audiophiles to listen to the signal left over from the Big Bang!

It seems basically like the task of selling Coca Cola. How do you keep selling essentially the same thing for 100 years, but keep making it seem fresh and new? Well, with cables, just keep changing the tint or shape or look of the cables, and claim they come along with "technological development," it seems.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Get 'em while their hot, boys!

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/ar...s-new-supreme-reference-cable-range-odin-gold

It's like there is no end to the sonic improvements in cables, and audiophiles have some limitless capability of hearing down in to the noise floor. At this point scientists could employ audiophiles to listen to the signal left over from the Big Bang!

It seems basically like the task of selling Coca Cola. How do you keep selling essentially the same thing for 100 years, but keep making it seem fresh and new? Well, with cables, just keep changing the tint or shape or look of the cables, and claim they come along with "technological development," it seems.
Gotta wonder what kinda AI is used to spit out this gibberish.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think anyone should buy what they want. But hopefully not under false pretenses.

There is something in particular about the apparent level of blatant cynism in these high priced cables that activates my Anger Module.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I think anyone should buy what they want. But hopefully not under false pretenses.

There is something in particular about the apparent level of blatant cynism in these high priced cables that activates my Anger Module.

It should.

Grumpish

A 5000$ thin flat silver power cord that eliminates skin effect at 50/60Hz... (and it needs a run in of course... see @18:00)

Skin depth at 50hz in copper is 9.2mm - that is a cable that is good for 225 amps. Must be one hell of an amp he is running there if it can pull that much power. :D

Top Bottom