• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivist friendly and wallet friendly IEM?

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I've noticed with some IEMs that a bigger tip but a more shallow fit gives a better seal and better comfort than trying to get a good seal with a deep fit.
This seems to be true for me with my Ety's. 'Wedged-in' tips don't necessarily produce any better seal, which is the critical factor. I probably bought every tip out there until settling on one Spin-Fit model. The Ety dual flanges work just as well for me in the XL size even though I don't have big ear canals; they just don't insert as deep but the isolation is just as good.

aandres_gm

Etymotics are hard to get over here in Europe, so I've kinda been thinking about getting the Moondrop Arias for times when I need a bit of privacy. Heard the cable is total crap, though. Anyone has experience with that?

RHO

Major Contributor
Have you tried amazon.de?
They've been unavailable for quite some time. I have been looking for them too.
Prices are ... unattractive ... to say the least. It may be even more interesting to pay all the taxes and fees and get them from Amazon.com. I'll have to do some calculations on that. :)
edit: Calculating costs using this website, I can conclude that it could save me about €20 on the ER2XR when I get them from Amazon.com.

Last edited:

aandres_gm

Have you tried amazon.de?
Yup. At the time they only have the ER2SE in stock, at 160€. I'm not after a flat signature at the time, as I tend to find that very odd on IEMs, so I'd rather go with the XR version. There are also some ER3XR in stock, shipping from amazon.com at 125€, which is very reasonable. However, warranty and returns are pretty much impossible in that case, and I'd rather have the option to ship them back, should they not fit my ears well.

That's why I've been eyeing the Arias.

Sharur

Yup. At the time they only have the ER2SE in stock, at 160€. I'm not after a flat signature at the time, as I tend to find that very odd on IEMs, so I'd rather go with the XR version. There are also some ER3XR in stock, shipping from amazon.com at 125€, which is very reasonable. However, warranty and returns are pretty much impossible in that case, and I'd rather have the option to ship them back, should they not fit my ears well.

That's why I've been eyeing the Arias.
If you're considering ER2XR you might as well get Aria as ER2XR does not represent Etymotic sound

aandres_gm

If you're considering ER2XR you might as well get Aria as ER2XR does not represent Etymotic sound
That's part of the issue, I haven't ever auditioned Etys, but they have a very good reputation anywhere you look, especially when it comes to the passive noise cancelling.

Sharur

That's part of the issue, I haven't ever auditioned Etys, but they have a very good reputation anywhere you look, especially when it comes to the passive noise cancelling.
Aria will give the benefit of being able to lay down on your side which is one of the things I dislike about Ety

RHO

Major Contributor
Can someone explain why you would wear IEMs while sleeping. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Sharur

Van someone explain why you would wear IEMs while sleeping. I don't get it.
It's not about wearing while literally asleep. If I want to listen to something on my phone while lying on my pillow, it's not possible with Etymotic

aandres_gm

Van someone explain why you would wear IEMs while sleeping. I don't get it.
When plane travel becomes a thing again, I would appreciate being able to lay my head against a pillow without having the headphones interfere. Makes the flight a bit less miserable.

Sharur

First impressions of ER2SE: prefer the extra subbass in ER4XR. Soundstage on ER2SE w/ foam tips appears superior.

Both of them sound very good and I can't really select one over the other when A/B switching.

I don't know if I should be surprised, but the soundstage on ER2SE w/ foam tips feels like wearing headphones compared to ER4XR deep insertion.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
When plane travel becomes a thing again, I would appreciate being able to lay my head against a pillow without having the headphones interfere. Makes the flight a bit less miserable.
Ah, so not in bed at home.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The difference between the ER4SR and ER4XR is real but it is not a night and day difference. The XR has more bass but it is not Beats lite and I suspect most would still find it pretty neutral and balanced. I prefer the SR, some find it dry and lifeless and the lack of boosted bass probably sounds strange in a market where a boosted low end is normal even in headphones marketed as neutral. However, it is like salt in food, it's easy to get hooked on salt and find food without salt tasteless. Stop adding salt and after a few days you adjust and start finding new flavours pushed out by salt. Get used to the SR and it becomes very natural, the bass is there and they are not bass light but rather very well balanced.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I have had ER2XR, ER3XR, and ER4XR. I sold the 3 when I got the 4 (although I'd still favor the 3 for portables due to the lower 22Ω impedance). I got the 2 after losing my headphone pouch on a train. Fortunately my Etys weren't in it at the time but it did cause me to get the 2's as they'd be easier to 'shrug off' if they were lost or danaged.

Anyway, to your point: I have had four different Etys at this point, in this order : hf (clinically flat); 3XR (the same overall signature with a subtle bass boost, just what Ety says); 4XR (don't judge, I caught upgraditis) and the 2XR for out-and-about. I still have the last 2. Of the XRs, the 3 and 4 are almost peas in a pod; the bass boost is fairly subtle. The 2XR, not as subtle (although still not a 'bass-head' set). I was expecting basically the same 'signature' based on the 'XR' classification.Was that what you meant, or did your comment have to do with the difference between the dynamic drivers used in the 2 and the BA used in the others? Just curious. I remember thinking when I first played the 2's "Hmm, maybe I shoulda got the SE, this is almost too much', although I've gotten used to them. I've still got the 4's but use them only at home with an amp.

JJB expresses the difference very well in the preceding post. With the 4, I do still like the extra 'heft' but with the 2 I did wonder if I would prefer the SE. I didn't care enough to go through the return process and now my 'taste buds' have gotten used to them. I don't listen as critically on the go as I do at home anyway.

Last edited:

Sharur

I have had ER2XR, ER3XR, and ER4XR. I sold the 3 when I got the 4 (although I'd still favor the 3 for portables due to the lower 22Ω impedance). I got the 2 after losing my headphone pouch on a train. Fortunately my Etys weren't in it at the time but it did cause me to get the 2's as they'd be easier to 'shrug off' if they were lost or danaged.

Anyway, to your point: I have had four different Etys at this point, in this order : hf (clinically flat); 3XR (the same overall signature with a subtle bass boost, just what Ety says); 4XR (don't judge, I caught upgraditis). Of the XRs, the 3 and 4 are almost peas in a pod; the bass boost is fairly subtle. The 2XR, not as subtle (although still not a 'bass-head' set). I was expecting basically the same 'signature' based on the 'XR' classification.Was that what you meant, or did your comment have to do with the difference between the dynamic drivers used in the 2 and the BA used in the others? Just curious. I remember thinking when I first played the 2's "Hmm, maybe I shoulda got the SE, this is almost too much', although I've gotten used to them. I've still got the 4's but use them only at home with an amp.
My comment didn't have anything to do with the driver type, just that the ER2XR has too much bass.

Top Bottom