• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/shunyata-research-sigma-nr-v2-power-cord

A $3500 power cord.
"This power cord brings an accuracy of timbre and harmony, a musical veracity, that I’ve simply not experienced before. Yes, it’s got all the audiophile virtues I’ve described in my previous experiences with Shunyata power cables. But those attributes really don’t speak to what the Sigma NR v2 is about. "

What drugs was he on? Can I have some?

This would be a bargain then, for the same price you can connect both of your speakers to the amp (if they're not too far apart) :rolleyes:

https://trueaudiophile.com/lessloss-c-marc-speaker-cables-shocking-sonic-value/

"This is definitely the cable to go for. It will literally blow you mind." PureSound Magazine

Cable that doesn't draw attention to itself :eek:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm:
You've just raised a huge question Wes.
The Loathecliffs are living the off-grid dream (I'm reading from the article).
However, all our modern life gismos run from a set of non-audiophile batteries.
Is our sonic world of John Bower's TL speakers and class D amp missing out?
Is our bank of 880 a/h lead acid lumps depriving us of that final veil-lifting step?
It sounded gorgeous until you posted, but now??? :(

PS Where do I buy these audiophile batteries?

Final Labs - here's a review Audio Ecstasy With Battery Power- The Final (Labs) Frontier by Steven R. Rochlin (enjoythemusic.com)

ccw

So here we learn that moving Wilson Sabrina's exactly 1/4 inch is the key to Nirvana. So make sure to have your dealer set it up for you.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-sabrinax-loudspeaker

These sorts of things remind me of the crazy maintenance routines some people want you to keep (or want to preach to you for social positioning). I had a shoe salesman ask me if I sanded my shoe trees. I just burst into hysterics. He looked at me like "well, no wonder you wear out your leather shoes...". I'm sorry, my time is too valuable to spend sanding shoe trees and worrying whether a family member has jostled my speakers a quarter inch.

(relevant: https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-sabrina-loudspeaker-measurements)
Well... actually, precisely positioning speakers in a room does have a profound effect on things like bass, imaging, phase.

Not sure how your comment is relevant to the snake oil rants?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Well... actually, precisely positioning speakers in a room does have a profound effect on things like bass, imaging, phase.

Because 1/4 inch really isn't enough to produce a truly meaningful change. Snake oil is all about convincing people that an immeasurable alteration in the audio system produces major audible effects. It's about hypnotizing the crowd:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Not in my experience. Nor, in my experience, do dealers pay that much attention to positioning when they are swapping speakers in and out for auditioning, even though they maintain these tiny margins make a difference. Furthermore, the dealer, since I've never seen them do any kind of sound measurements, is very unlikely to find the sweet spot by eyeballing it. I think it is all part of the "golden ears/everything matters" oversell of subjective audiophilia, a gateway drug to thinking some silver cables will have a "profound" effect.

Positioning absolutely matters, but that 1/4 inch is unlikely to be 'profound'.

egellings

Major Contributor
How about audiophile levels that you place on top of speakers and components? The equipment needs to be level to perform its best, wouldn't you know. Otherwise, electrons would all shift to the lower end of a non-leveled component, negatively affecting sound quality, th' fock.

Gregss

How about audiophile levels that you place on top of speakers and components? The equipment needs to be level to perform its best, wouldn't you know. Otherwise, electrons would all shift to the lower end of a non-leveled component, negatively affecting sound quality, th' fock.
Yes, but the liquid inside of the level needs to be virgin 100% synthetic snake oil to work properly or else the angle of the dangle will be off.

egellings

Major Contributor
You can't uses ordinary carpenter's levels to do this. The levels must be audiophile grade in order to improve the sound.

Loathecliff

Thxs. What subjective heaven.
Of particular note:-
1) Music 6 Power Amplifier

Power: 10 watts per channel, two channels

Frequency Response: 0-100,000 Hz

Power Supply: UM1 Battery Case for power (two pieces) hold a total of 36 "D" size batteries needed to fill the two box set

Price: $3,250 (UM1 battery box adds $700)

& 2)
Company Information
Final Laboratory
May 2015 Update: The company is no longer in business.

egellings

Major Contributor
Gregss: So true! I'll issue a new improved level at a higher price using your advice! Hork!

About hork: A shout of derision by a grandpa bullfrog.

Loathecliff

You can't use ordinary carpenter's levels to do this. The levels must be audiophile grade in order to improve the sound.

Will a DC powered €20 laser level kit from LIDL do?
If not, I could get the badge, the shape, the colour, & packaging changed, but we will regrettably be forced to increase the retail price to €3,200.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Latest from Audioquest (snake oil factory), their renowed Jitterbug USB noise decrapifier which now comes encased in a Full Metal Jacket. Oh and the juiciest bit that i love for marketing is "AudioQuest is also keen to point out that whilst the Jitterbug FMJ will likely bring audible improvements to the sound of its DragonFly Black and Red USB DACs".

Jitterbug FMJ

Call me a skeptic, i don't believe a word of this.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Latest from Audioquest (snake oil factory), their renowed Jitterbug USB noise decrapifier which now comes encased in a Full Metal Jacket. Oh and the juiciest bit that i love for marketing is "AudioQuest is also keen to point out that whilst the Jitterbug FMJ will likely bring audible improvements to the sound of its DragonFly Black and Red USB DACs".

Jitterbug FMJ

Hmmz.. Your link is not working. :D

ta240

Major Contributor
You mean something like this here? Wait until 15:03. Doesn't sound to me like snake oil.

I didn't watch any of the rest of the video to see any other tests but it would appear that it helped in that situation. The problem I see is the example is an amp that probably has very little filtering in its power supply and that will be used to show that on a system with a well filtered power supply built in they will also notice a difference. The blacker blacks, the more silency silences will seem to appear when it is used with a power supply that isn't as dirty as that one or an amp that already filters that out.

I really need to trademark "More silency silences"

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz.. Your link is not working. :D

It links to Darko' page where the announcement is made, Audioquest does not mention the product and has no official listing on their website.

ta240

Major Contributor

Jitterbug FMJ

I like this line " “a 2nd JitterBug in parallel is always a delightful improvement as it pulls more money from your wallet"

Okay, I may have altered the end of that quote...

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like this line " “a 2nd JitterBug in parallel is always a delightful improvement as it pulls more money from your wallet"

Okay, I may have altered the end of that quote...

I mean isn't that what snake oil does "pull more money from the wallet"

Top Bottom