• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Nuwanda

You have to watch Dave going mad on this audiophoolery video. It's a lot of fun the way he reacts while being completely right.

Video

Andysu

Major Contributor
I can try string covered in vaseline for audio lead. :D

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"bespoke gate arrays"
I heard binned gate arrays arranged in 45 degree angle produce the best signal for audiophiles.

Gekel

I didn't watch any of the rest of the video to see any other tests but it would appear that it helped in that situation.

So - Snake oil or not? I would say: no, and the claims the company made are true. It all depends on the equipment you use. If he can't replace the power supply of his amp, then this is an easy and cheap way to improve the situation.

There are much worse pieces of equipment around (like audiophiles ethernet switches) which I would classify as snake oil.

ta240

Major Contributor
So - Snake oil or not? I would say: no, and the claims the company made are true. It all depends on the equipment you use. If he can't replace the power supply of his amp, then this is an easy and cheap way to improve the situation.

There are much worse pieces of equipment around (like audiophiles ethernet switches) which I would classify as snake oil.

True, doing something that likely isn't needed, probably doesn't completely qualify as snake oil. And the company doesn't make any claims on their site about lifting veils or darker darks either. But at the same time nobody selling this will tell people that most power lines and equipment won't need or benefit from it.
If they strictly marketed it as 'if you have an audible problem' then I'd give them a complete pass. But companies know they can leave out the promises and they will both be implied and said by 'reviewers'.

egellings

Major Contributor
I wonder what the snakes' take on their magic oil is. I bet those long tubes could care less.

Gekel

True, doing something that likely isn't needed, probably doesn't completely qualify as snake oil. [...] But at the same time nobody selling this will tell people that most power lines and equipment won't need or benefit from it.

The important part is "most [...] won't benefit". Snake oil products don't bring any positive results beside a lighter wallet. This here works, and even you admit it works. At least for me it isn't snake oil if it works. It's only up to me to find the cases when it does, and in which cases not.

If I would follow your definition, then all kind of medicine would be considered snake oil products. They also only work in specific cases, but in the overwhelming majority have no effect at all.

egellings

Major Contributor
Lead-free solder is not eutectic, which means it does not have a range of temperature where it is in a liquid state. So, as soon as you remove the heat, it sets. It also has a higher melting temperature than tin-lead solders have. It's a pain to use, but it's required to meet RoHS standards, which dictate no lead, among other things. Of course, I hate that cold joint look the solder has when it sets. The higher melting temperature also makes lifting PCB traces more likely. Ugh!

egellings

Major Contributor
Hospital grade is also about a strong grip of the outlet on the plug, so a cord to someone's respirator does not get accidentally unplugged unnoticed.

egellings

Major Contributor
Those 'muscles' are pumped full of an oily substance called Synthol, and he will likely suffer getting his arms amputated if he does not act quickly to get rid of the stuff. How could such anemic forearms support such large upper arms anyhow? The Synthol pecs look like boob implants. I pass.

egellings

Major Contributor
The little meters look cool, and cost just 49 dollars. They have ornamental value at that price break.

mansr

Major Contributor
Lead-free solder is not eutectic, which means it does not have a range of temperature where it is in a liquid state. So, as soon as you remove the heat, it sets.
You seem to have things a little mixed up. Eutectic means there is a single, well-defined melting point. Non-eutectic solder has a range of temperatures within which it is neither solid nor melted. Even a slight movement as it cools through this range can result in a bad joint. With eutectic solder, this is less of a concern since it solidifies almost instantly.

audio2design

Major Contributor
One of the issues being in this industry, now on the consumer side, is I am deeply offended that people take advantage of ignorance and gullibility, but most of all they take advantage of "hope". People who buy these things are doing it to make themselves happier, but like a narcotic, the effect is short term and then they need their next hit. The dealers are always there, ready to supply.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lead-free solder is not eutectic, which means it does not have a range of temperature where it is in a liquid state. So, as soon as you remove the heat, it sets. It also has a higher melting temperature than tin-lead solders have. It's a pain to use, but it's required to meet RoHS standards, which dictate no lead, among other things. Of course, I hate that cold joint look the solder has when it sets. The higher melting temperature also makes lifting PCB traces more likely. Ugh!
When soldering devices intended for operating temps upwards of 180C we used high temp solder and adding liquid flux helped in a big way with lead free high temp solder. It makes a very noticeable difference in making it easier to work the solder.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Speaking of batteries...
I've heard those big horns at a couple audio shows, I'm sure they wouldn't measure too well, but they put out an incredible wall of sound. Hard to explain but with the right material they had that "you are there" sense of presentation that I've only heard equaled a few times from other very large systems.

I still find as one of my favorite snake oi devices, the Synergistic Research ECT and GCT magic dots. Just place them around inside your gear for a unspeakable improvement. Like White Castle hamburgers you'll want to "buy them by the sack" since they're small. And only $150 each or 5 for $300!

ECT_Instructions_040714A.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When soldering devices intended for operating temps upwards of 180C we used high temp solder and adding liquid flux helped in a big way with lead free high temp solder. It makes a very noticeable difference in making it easier to work the solder.
I'm lack any great soldering skills but I had one heck of a time with silver solder and getting it hot enough to flow without heat damage to the component or board.

Top Bottom