• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The post in which Darko basically tells anyone who isn't a rich rube to ignore him and audiophilia in general

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Back to bed at 11-something AM east coast US time?
Busted. But no, not really going back to bed. Just pulling a typical Covid activity morning.
I’m actually juggling this and a woodworking site over a thread regarding the relative value of Kapex power tools VS. Bosch power tools.
There’s been some bleed over.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Busted. But no, not really going back to bed. Just pulling a typical Covid activity morning.
I’m actually juggling this and a woodworking site over a thread regarding the relative value of Kapex power tools VS. Bosch power tools.
There’s been some bleed over.

Have you tried upgrading those tools with better power cables?

IMG_2167.jpg.3a1db8555093748b3704bd6ca10b9cce.jpg

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Sage words delivered in such a condescending, elitist fashion.

If you cut each section off before he says "unless very high end" or "unless very expensive", it's not bad advice.

This guy is such a douche bag. Probably the worst hifi reviewer on Youtube. He has absolutely zero understanding how audio works. Somehow he just radiates self importance.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
This guy is such a douche bag. Probably the worst hifi reviewer on Youtube. He has absolutely zero understanding how audio works. Somehow he just radiates self importance.

121K subscribers on YouTube.

That's a lot more members than ASR has.

220K views on his video on a 1K euro system.

Douchebag or not, in terms of awareness and reach, he seems to be winning.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Did anyone notice the incredibly warped LP just before he started on his doorstopper?

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Winning what? He’s riding a wave that’s been rolling for 5 decades or so.

In terms of views, he’s got nuthin on cute sloth vids. Hell, there’s idiots on youtube who get hundreds of thousands of views for “reacting” to songs! Lol

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
121K subscribers on YouTube.

That's a lot more members than ASR has.

220K views on his video on a 1K euro system.

Douchebag or not, in terms of awareness and reach, he seems to be winning.

The worst I can say about him is the often condescending tone and message he adopts and the sense that sometimes he doesn't believe in what he says. He exhibits both in this post.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Exactly my thoughts while listening to that.
To go more in depth, I want to focus my efforts and money on the 50% of the 'cost' that will get me 90% of the reward. I'm always looking to be at the knee point of the economics of a situation if I can. If I can afford to live as a consumer at C, I'll be really happy with that.

View attachment 78834

But the problem is a lot of psychology comes into this, and the perception of where C is can be greatly skewed depending on the persons views and biases.

However I think from a systems standpoint it's pretty easy to say that if your system consist of a $2k speaker with hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of wires it's definitely not cost optimized.
hey, it's a Languir binding isotherm! Assuming "Additional Effort" is on a log scale, of course. :)

1597854552039.png

Upon reflection, I guess that Irving Langmuir is one of my heroes (not that I've thought of him as such). I've done so much hard time in ligand binding thermodynamics (and kinetics) that I tend to forget the significance of the pioneers -- even though I teach about them! :(

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
ok. I mean sure...does that mean i need to start buying boutique cables?

It means the objectivist camp needs to start learning what the subjectivists are doing right in terms of being effective communicators.

Unless people like being in a perpetual state of being the small, but correct, minority raging impotently at the Big Audio Machine.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When he was talking about the communion wafers?

I wouldn't call that incredibly warped, just average warped. I've got a few like that.
You’re right, there’s worse, but I mean, what’s the use of all his highly expensive stuff when the source is so obviously low-fi?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You’re right, there’s worse, but I mean, what’s the use of all his highly expensive stuff when the source is so obviously low-fi?

It's fun.

I have fairly expensive "stuff". I enjoy my low fi vinyl just fine, alongside my digital.

Actually, it's more fun, in a masochist manner, because I can tinker with LP endlessly to try to make it sound better and still never get there.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It means the objectivist camp needs to start learning what the subjectivists are doing right in terms of being effective communicators.
Encouraging people and giving them permission to rub one out to their own image will make you popular.

Top Bottom