• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping L30 Headphone Amp

MSTARK

L30 can't be supplied by a battery. It's simply impossible. L30 is 15V AC in not DC.
My bad. I’ve just noticed that it uses transformer based AC adapter.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just made some reality check and asked around. 1.2m is already really long. It's 1.2 meters....
It's definitely long enough for 70cm tall desk if you don't put the power strip far away.

Yeah, but the L30 is commonly used in a desktop setup. Which means you have to manage to plug in at least one monitor and a computer into that power strip, and those cables are often short. And I would imagine many people also have a charger for their phone available. Example, I have a wireless charging pad. And then what about the DAC and any speaker amp or powered speakers?

So trying to get all that plugged in is not easy. Optimum flexibility would be a power cable that allows positioning the amp on the opposite side of an average desk size from where the power strip is. Then include a velcro cable tie since those are only a few pennies which someone could use to gather up any loose cable if they needed to.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yeah, but the L30 is commonly used in a desktop setup. Which means you have to manage to plug in at least one monitor and a computer into that power strip, and those cables are often short. And I would imagine many people also have a charger for their phone available. Example, I have a wireless charging pad. And then what about the DAC and any speaker amp or powered speakers?

So trying to get all that plugged in is not easy. Optimum flexibility would be a power cable that allows positioning the amp on the opposite side of an average desk size from where the power strip is. Then include a velcro cable tie since those are only a few pennies which someone could use to gather up any loose cable if they needed to.
Ultimately its it's not the issue of the length. There's nothing an extra power strip can't fix.

Yuno

Ultimately its it's not the issue of the length. There's nothing an extra power strip can't fix.
Is there any problem with using specific extender for connector? I would rather keep brick hidden under my desk and get an extension for whatever connector L30 uses. I probably already have cable like that somewhere anyways.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Is there any problem with using specific extender for connector? I would rather keep brick hidden under my desk and get an extension for whatever connector L30 uses. I probably already have cable like that somewhere anyways.
It's 5.5/2.5mm type instead of 2.1mm to avoid other supplies. So if you want to get extension get the one with 2.5mm. But I suggest trying out first. For years, I never had any issue I put power strip directly under the desk(when I was in Australia).

Veri

Master Contributor
@JohnYang1997
Can you please put an E30 inside a L30 and make just one definitive device :)
Both already achieve very much in a very small box. I'd say that right now (A90 and L30 are only recently released!), connecting them with a set of RCAs is not too much to ask.. :p

velasfloyd

Both already achieve very much in a very small box. I'd say that right now (A90 and L30 are only recently released!), connecting them with a set of RCAs is not too much to ask.. :p

It is! Believe me
When you have some kind of minimalism obsession, or toc, or whatever you call it. Bear in mind is not only the rca. But two separated energy cables. I like the form factor of dx7 pro, or dx3, but their high impedance output kill it for me

boredatwork

So it arrived. The volume pot seems to not be properly affixed to the "wheel" behind it, and there is a bit of wiggle room before the pot actually turns. Wonder if this is a qc issue or across all units @JohnYang1997 ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So it arrived. The volume pot seems to not be properly affixed to the "wheel" behind it, and there is a bit of wiggle room before the pot actually turns. Wonder if this is a qc issue or across all units.
It's been discussed in A90 thread. It's in the pot itself. There's no better solution yet.

boredatwork

It's been discussed in A90 thread. It's in the pot itself. There's no better solution yet.
Ah unfortunate. Hopefully there will be a solution in the future. In the meantime, great combo with the l30/e30! I'm impressed with the performance/price of these units. Also the front headphone/preout switch is awesome. You've designed quite the little juggernaut good sir.

NDC

Hi John, sorry to hijack this line of questions - just a quick query -

Can I have RCA out of D90 to the Topping L30 at the same time as D90's XLR going to active speakers? Is there any downside to doing this?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi John, sorry to hijack this line of questions - just a quick query -

Can I have RCA out of D90 to the Topping L30 at the same time as D90's XLR going to active speakers? Is there any downside to doing this?
no issue doing this

akura

It's 5.5/2.5mm type instead of 2.1mm to avoid other supplies. So if you want to get extension get the one with 2.5mm. But I suggest trying out first. For years, I never had any issue I put power strip directly under the desk(when I was in Australia).

Just got mine from a local distributor and really liking the look, build and sound coming from it (for a starter setup like myself!).

Though the power supply is a EU plug and came with an AU adaptor it’s pretty precarious the way it sits! Does topping sell an AU version of the power supply?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just got mine from a local distributor and really liking the look, build and sound coming from it (for a starter setup like myself!).

Though the power supply is a EU plug and came with an AU adaptor it’s pretty precarious the way it sits! Does topping sell an AU version of the power supply?
We do. It's the same as plug for China. It's probably due to shortage of the power supply as the demand is really high. I guess the seller rather ship EU supply with adapter than letting you waiting for another week.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Would you tell us a bit more about the local distributor? It can actually be something serious. We do not send EU plug to AU distributors.

zenki

Would you tell us a bit more about the local distributor? It can actually be something serious. We do not send EU plug to AU distributors.

Well I got EU plug (230V) power adaptor from where I bought them + AU plug converter that doesn't really work because loose connection + adaptor too heavy. (the power adaptor will fall back on a power strip).

Need really a power adaptor with a proper plug like Atom, no need for converter

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well I got EU plug (230V) power adaptor from where I bought them + AU plug converter that doesn't really work because loose connection + adaptor too heavy. (the power adaptor will fall back on a power strip).

Need really a power adaptor with a proper plug like Atom, no need for converter
That's the issue. You should be getting proper AU plug just like the one from Atom. Where did you buy from? We need to contact them and see what happened.
If it's not addicted to audio, then I would recommend future purchase from them. If it is then there's the big issue.

Top Bottom