• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some times I think I've lived too long...'cuz I really don't get it!

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another interesting question would be how vocals-heavy, bandwidth-limited electronica and and hip hop popularity were driven by the same move from listening in the home, to listening in the car, that are blamed for the loudness war.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
No melody in today’s music? No talent?

Don‘t know what world some folks are living in.

Loving these old rap videos BTW. :)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The title of this thread reminds me of a lyric (first verse) from a decidedly not disposable pop song by Bruce Cockburn*

older version

more recent version

Sunset is an angel weeping
Holding out a bloody sword
No matter how I squint I cannot
Make out what it's pointing toward
Sometimes you feel like you've lived too long
Days drip slowly on the page
You catch yourself
Pacing the cage

Prana Ferox

Honestly I don't remember a lot of early Euro rap / hip-hop. Here's a few that pop to mind, although by the '90s it was of course widespread:

Massive Attack (w/Tricky) 1991:

MC Solaar 1990:

raif71

Major Contributor
When I first heard Billie Eilish, Bad Guy... I thought it was a soundtrack off of Despicable Me ie Grue singing that he's a bad guy. The song was quite cartoonish too. Later I found out that it had nothing to do with the movie

Bamyasi

Pretty much the only rap I've ever liked is parody, but there's no sound argument for saying it isn't music whether you like it or not...

It's not about liking something or not. There is a ton of things I do not like, in or outside music, and even more I do. By the way, I haven't said I dislike rap either. It's just a different genre not related to music, even if it can use some music during performances like theater does. There is nothing intrinsically bad in this, theatrical genres of all kinds, traditional or not, are great and some has been with us since the beginning of human civilization (arguably, music was as well). It's just that theater is not music. Or in other words, music is special and if you do not understand why, then there is no use trying to explain.

Last edited:

Bamyasi

Honestly I don't remember a lot of early Euro rap / hip-hop. Here's a few that pop to mind, although by the '90s it was of course widespread:

Trip-hop / hip hop is no rap, not even distantly related. Massive Attack is definitely one of the greatest bands of modern time.

Bamyasi

Older people? Yes, they're all over the place.
This is a bit silly. Electronic and rap / hip hop as genres are 3 generations old now. Aphex Twin and Diplo get used in luxury car commercials.

Electronic / hip hop has nothing in common with rap.

Bamyasi

Ok, even though it was fun I will stop now. Many of you probably would rather keep discussing Billie Eilish, so I do not want to interfere.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Ok, even though it was fun I will stop now. Many of you probably would rather keep discussing Billie Eilish, so I do not want to interfere.

I never heard of Billie Eilish before this thread, and have no interest in ever listening to her again.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I never heard of Billie Eilish before this thread, and have no interest in ever listening to her again.

For me, it's pretty generic pop, flavor of the month. But I'll admit to not being a pop fan so maybe there's greatness in there I'm not hearing.

At the moment, I'm listening to Suitcase Junket from up your neck of the woods.

Top Bottom