• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some times I think I've lived too long...'cuz I really don't get it!

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let's ask an expert!

"What is music? Anything can be music, but it doesn't become music until someone wills it to be music, and the audience listening to it decides to perceive it as music.

Most people can't deal with that abstraction -- or don't want to. " - F.Z.

So following the logic: because the overwhelming majority of people perceive rap as music we can universally agree that it is music

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
because the overwhelming majority of people perceive rap as music we can universally agree that it is music
I still perceive it as poetry with a back beat. Some of it having very bad intentions and some of it very good intentions. It's a mixed bag and the lack of melody kills most of it for me... But I like metal rap and some of the more melodic rap... hmmmz I think I need to think... :cool:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The video is inane .. Lyrics ..same level as the video.The music is OK.. Nothing special ... IMO

Wombat

Master Contributor
My interest is not in her music as much as her influence on modern youth culture - as well as her reflection of it.

"Out of the mouths of babes". Sometimes profound. Given the amount of life experience, likely to be a only minor risk to the impressionable. Remember Johnny Ray, Elvis, and all those other 'bad influences' over the years, leading youth astray.

I worry more about the likes of Jim Jones and his mesmerising ilk.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So following the logic: because the overwhelming majority of people perceive rap as music we can universally agree that it is music

If the overwhelming majority of people did not perceive rap as music would that cause you to change your mind?

Eetu

Forum Donor
I still perceive it as poetry with a back beat. Some of it having very bad intentions and some of it very good intentions. It's a mixed bag and the lack of melody kills most of it for me... But I like metal rap and some of the more melodic rap... hmmmz I think I need to think... :cool:

Ok, interesting. How about drum solos, Steve Reich, noise, drone, ambient or Berlin techno? Not music? Because there's no catchy melodies? Maybe you could use music I don't care for instead of not music?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, interesting. How about drum solos, Steve Reich, noise, drone, ambient or Berlin techno? Not music? Because there's no catchy melodies? Maybe you could use music I don't care for instead of not music?
I have no idea how to respond to that. :facepalm:

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Eetu

Forum Donor
If the overwhelming majority of people did not perceive rap as music would that cause you to change your mind?

Well in that case the word music would have to have another definition. I already had to quote Wikipedia.. :D

hyperplanar

Those are tools.

It's what you build with them that matters more, to me.

Of course, but I was referring to how the quoted post said that baby boomers have nothing new to hear, which is clearly untrue if you consider that there's sounds now that haven't been made before.

Eetu

Forum Donor
I have no idea how to respond to that. :facepalm:

Sorry if that came across as condescending. It was also meant for couple of the other folks.

In general: I think it's dangerous to give new meanings for dictionary-defined words. I mean, i get it: it sounds edgier to say 'IT'S NOT MUSIC' than 'I don't like it' :cool:

ok rant over and btw I think Billie Eilish has a lot potential. Even though this album didn't work for me I'm looking forward to seeing what direction she's taking next.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if that came across as condescending. It was also meant for couple of the other folks.

In general: I think it's dangerous to give new meanings for dictionary-defined words. I mean, i get it: it sounds edgier to say 'IT'S NOT MUSIC' than 'I don't like it' :cool:

ok rant over and btw I think Billie Eilish has a lot potential. Even though this album didn't work for me I'm looking forward to seeing what direction she's taking next.
She's obviously smart. With some MORE maturity(She's obviously ahead of her time.) she may be very interesting in how she dissects and explains the human condition.

Wombat

Master Contributor
She's obviously smart. With some MORE maturity(She's obviously ahead of her time.) she may be very interesting in how she dissects and explains the human condition.

Bod Dylanesque? Waiting.

Wombat

Master Contributor

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I assume you will then not be going out to department stores or casual restaurants In the future (ignoring the current virus situation). The first time I ever heard her was while eating at a Chipotle.

Never been to a Chipotle, most of the restaurants I go to play their ethnic music or none at all. The strangest experience was in Japan where they played X rated Gansta-rap in the Hello Kitty store. I suspect if the Olympics happen there might be some cleaning up, live DJ's freely use the worst swears in English as part of their act.

Last edited:
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In general: I think it's dangerous to give new meanings for dictionary-defined words. I mean, i get it: it sounds edgier to say 'IT'S NOT MUSIC' than 'I don't like it'

Words are tools for communication, and many people fail to acknowledge that some words have multiple meanings and that there are often variations of the primary definition.

I live in a town named Boquete - the Spanish word for a "gap" or "hole" in the continental divide, a mountain range in Costa Rica and Panama that is called La Cordillera de Talamanca. In the 19th century, many travelers during the California Rush gold crossed over from the Caribbean to the Pacific through our little valley to avoid the long sailing voyage around Cape Horn and the tip of South America.

Look up he meaning of boquete in Portuguese and imagine the first time any Brazilian hears the name of our little town...

boquete_4.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom