• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fan-less silent PC

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I thought buying a MiniPC install APO, Spotify and connect it at my receiver HDMI port and control Spotify through my cell.
The idea is configure Windows to start APO and Spotify at startup so I don’t need to even access the system.

Edit on August 25, 2023
Jus for your reference,,,
-
The latest system setup of my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio rig as of August 3, 2023: #774
- The latest "startup/ignition sequences" and "shutdown sequences" in my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio rig as of August 3, 2023: #776

Yes, it is possible; my audio setup is essentially quite similar to your idea.
Please find here and here the latest setup of my PC-DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo audio project.

As for the possible startup/ignition sequences, however, you need to be careful enough protecting your treasure SP drivers and other audio gears from unexpected/accidental pop noises and/or intrusion of high-gain sounds. My shutdown sequences and startup sequences would be of your reference.

Furthermore, I would like to recommend you establishing "all in ASIO" signal routing within your PC as I wrote here.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
chimney effect in my case.
a CPU demanding task was started which doesn't demand much from GPU.
as CPU temperature rises, so does the natural airflow due to the chimney effect and the GPU below the CPU gets colder. than PC gets idle again, CPU temp drops, and GPU temp rises again.
this operation was totally fanless.

1692959231226.png

Digby

Major Contributor
chimney effect in my case.
a CPU demanding task was started which doesn't demand much from GPU.
as CPU temperature rises, so does the natural airflow due to the chimney effect and the GPU below the CPU gets colder. than PC gets idle again, CPU temp drops, and GPU temp rises again.
this operation was totally fanless.

Fanless in Brazil sounds a bit like some long lost James Bond book.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Fanless in Brazil sounds a bit like some long lost James Bond book.

though the room temperature obviously does influence the outcome, it is a relatively small factor in relation to the temperatures a CPU can take before throttling.
I am forced to use a fanless system btw, cause I live 50m from the ocean.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
though the room temperature obviously does influence the outcome, it is a relatively small factor in relation to the temperatures a CPU can take before throttling.
I am forced to use a fanless system btw, cause I live 50m from the ocean.
Would you reside beside the ocean again if you have the choice? I equate your residence to like living on a large lakeshore in Canada or maybe beside the ocean too; but I have never heard of salt water misty issues like you have described in the past.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
What impact does that have?

most metals will corrode in a few weeks. heat does help the circuits though. electronics you are regularly using will survive. my theory is that the heat creates a shield so the sea spray can't settle (chimney effect). With electronics that throw air flow over the components though you will force salt on the circuits. Microchips are especially sensitive in my experience. a regular gaming PC with tons of airflow will probably survive only a few months here. the worst is when it is raining and windy. the wind will basically throw salt water at us. these days even the floor gets slippery...imagine sea water on your floor at home. it's basically this. but this happens 2 or 3 weeks a year here. but these days will kill any regular PC. luckily I am not a gamer lol. Some stuff survives easily. Like my old KRK Rokit 8 monitors that I don't use regularly anymore. they show no effect. but then again they have no microchips.

Would you reside beside the ocean again if you have the choice? I equate your residence to like living on a large lakeshore in Canada or maybe beside the ocean too; but I have never heard of salt water misty issues like you have described in the past.

totally. life is a choice of pros and contras. I have a paradise view out of my windows. the air is perfect. I can reach the beach in 3 minutes. It's a question of priorities. And like I do, you will find solutions for the downsides. Also, if you like air-conditioning, which I don't.....if you always leave the windows closed you will be barely affected by the salt.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a paradise view out of my windows. the air is perfect. I can reach the beach in 3 minutes.
I suspected you do...LoL. I imagine it's gorgeous and sublime.
It's a question of priorities. And like I do, you will find solutions for the downsides.
I live in +34C'ishy to a low of -50C'ishy region and I find a way everyday. :D
Also, if you like air-conditioning, which I don't
I love it! It is life or death here to have it or not.
if you always leave the windows closed you will be barely affected by the salt.
I should not do it but I leave my window open everyday for all of the year. The opening size depends on the season and the outside temp. It wastes energy but I need it to sleep and feel lively.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I should not do it but I leave my window open everyday for all of the year. The opening size depends on the season and the outside temp. It wastes energy but I need it to sleep and feel lively.

what I do now, after my first semi-fanless project failed after an alcohol-caused accident lol (I don't want to tell the story), is that I leave my man-cave windows closed at all times. the door stays open so I still get fresh air from all the open windows in the apartment. I think I am 4 months in on this build now, and 2 weeks ago I opened the case and I didn't find a single evidence of sea spray inside. the worst is the direct contact with the breeze, if you avoid it the salt will already have settled since it is heavier than air.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
what I do now, after my first semi-fanless project failed after an alcohol-caused accident lol (I don't want to tell the story), is that I leave my man-cave windows closed at all times. the door stays open so I still get fresh air from all the open windows in the apartment. I think I am 4 months in on this build now, and 2 weeks ago I opened the case and I didn't find a single evidence of sea spray inside. the worst is the direct contact with the breeze, if you avoid it the salt will already have settled since it is heavier than air.
4 months is good for a sea spray environment going from what you told me before. I've re-soldered flat packs/CPUs/processors that where corroded and brought them back to life in time before the pins where corroded beyond repair and had a successful repair. So I'm familiar with the green corrosion and stuff that forms into the corrosion stuff. What I have to be concerned about in a worst case scenario is huge baseball size hail, torrential rain and tornadoes hitting my 8th floor open window and causing damage. There's no insurance for that that I have presently and if the window is open and it happens then I'm liable. :D Are you in a concrete building?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn didn’t know they had fan less NUCs!! That’s the way I’d go if I was doing a music server for sure. Going to be cheaper than building your own fanless PC too
Me too.
Which Intel® NUC products are Fanless?
…Last Reviewed: 06/03/2022
Summary: Notes which Intel® NUC Products are fanless.
Description: Where to find documentation that shows which Intel® NUC Products are fanless
Resolution: Currently, there is only one Intel® NUC Product family that ships with a fanless solution, the Intel® NUC 8 Rugged Kit (or board), NUC8CCHxx.
Further information about the product can be found in the Technical product specifications document.
From <https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056784/intel-nuc.html>
:oops:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
4 months is good for a sea spray environment going from what you told me before. I've re-soldered flat packs/CPUs/processors that where corroded and brought them back to life in time before the pins where corroded beyond repair and had a successful repair. So I'm familiar with the green corrosion and stuff that forms into the corrosion stuff. What I have to be concerned about in a worst case scenario is huge baseball size hail, torrential rain and tornadoes hitting my 8th floor open window and causing damage. There's no insurance for that that I have presently and if the window is open and it happens then I'm liable. :D Are you in a concrete building?

lol, I have no tronados. But at those heavy wind times I was mentioning my not-very-sealed windows are singing a song (new neighbors actually get scared by this regularly lol). it is a pretty strong wind coming directly from the ocean. And I don't think stuff like hail would be a problem, since I mentioned it, the breeze coming from the direction of the ocean is the real problem.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
lol, I have no tronados. But at those heavy wind times I was mentioning my not-very-sealed windows are singing a song (new neighbors actually get scared by this regularly lol). it is a pretty strong wind coming directly from the ocean. And I don't think stuff like hail would be a problem, since I mentioned it, the breeze coming from the direction of the ocean is the real problem.
LoL... I was in ~-45C with 50 km/h winds and the window was whistling allll night long. LoL. I was warm and toasty inside but I heard every gust so I can understand the hearing it situation somewhat.

Digby

Major Contributor
totally. life is a choice of pros and contras. I have a paradise view out of my windows. the air is perfect. I can reach the beach in 3 minutes. It's a question of priorities.
So...should I move to coastal Brazil? :D

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am reading and enjoying your interesting communications.

Although this summer has been exceptionally hot and humid also in Tokyo-Chiba area in Japan, I am happy and comfortable about our air conditioners are working perfectly fine and quietly, and also my two audio dedicated completely silent fanless spindle-less Windows 11 Pro PCs (the latest system setup here) are working completely fine with no thermal issue at all!:) Very fortunately, we have no salty wind nor salty splash in my vicinities.

Nevertheless, I am approaching to the right timing of my "Semiannual complete cleaning of all the metal-to-metal connectors"...

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it even comparable? afaik only south Florida has a tropical climate in the US
If by tropical you mean 90+F (and 85+% humidity), SoFL would be a fine dig.:confused:
If - however - one's real desire is a temperate climate, where the temperatures change no more than 35F (winter/summer or day/night), which to choose?
202308_EWtempDiff.jpg

For yourself?
For your (fanless) equipment?
Everything else will cost you more in many other and some unimaginable ways.:mad:

Top Bottom