• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Short38

LampizatOr? I googled to be sure it was a “real” thing. According to the internets it is real!

The fuse review had many words! By the end I was convinced that the fuse was possibly an off label use of a suppository. Probably wrong.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
yeesh...if it is real it's pretty crazy.

"As reviewed here, without the recently acclaimed LessLoss BlackGround 10X in the house, all my components (see my bio page here) fall in the "under $10k" category, except for my speakers. It is far from an ultra-expensive system. I would be very hard-pressed to spend $595 in any other way to raise the sound quality of my rig into the realm of systems costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Unlike TV commercials that promise to "save" you money on expensive commodities, the Master fuse may very well inhibit you from buying more expensive components once you realize the potential of what you already own. If it were not for my insatiable curiosity, I could call it an end game right now and get off the upgrade merry-go-round."

:facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder what the non-technical sucker, uhm person thinks a snake oil fuse does.

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
What happens if the fuse blows because there is a fault in the equipment because of a 5 cent rectifier diode that got shorted out ? Do you have to spend another $600 and 8 days to get the sound back ?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What happens if the fuse blows because there is a fault in the equipment because of a 5 cent rectifier diode that got shorted out ? Do you have to spend another $600 and 8 days to get the sound back ?
I bet somebody will sell you snake-oil rectifiers that cost hundreds. That way the $600 fuse is worth it!

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For the Arctic audiophile:

Orb Audio Cartridge Warmer (link is to product page at 'Mockingbird Distribution', who mainly distribute/sell exotic cartidges & tonearms)

Warm the phono cartridge to the deep part with far-infrared rays and maximize the performance

Cartridge Warmer is an analog accessory that warms the Phono Cartridge with far-infrared generated by heating the carbon, draws out the original performance of the cartridge, and improves sound quality. Instead of heat transfer through the air, the far-infrared method in which the thermal energy radiated from the heater directs directly to the object to be heated quickly warms up the phono cartridge to the deep part and warms up to the optimum state. By doing so, it expresses the precise and delicate sound quality engraved on the analog record to the maximum. $330, including shipping.

Product features​

■ Carbon heater efficiently warms the entire phono cartridge

Orb adopted a carbon far-infrared radiation element for the heater, to warm the phono cartridge to the deepest part. In addition, due to the convection heat transfer affect, the whole phono cartridge is warmed efficiently.

■ Temperature sensor installed

Temperature control is by the internal temperature sensor, making it possible to warm the cartridge at a constant temperature, regardless of the outside air temperature.

■ Speedy heater heating

By adopting carbon with high thermal conductivity, it is possible to heat the cartridge quickly.

■ As a tonearm placement

It can also be used as a cartridge rest

■ Excellent heat transfer efficiency

Infrared heating is not heat transfer through air, rather energy is radiated from the heater directly to the object to be heated (similar to how one can feel the heat of a light bulb as soon as it is turned on, even though it is in a vacuum). Infrared heating has good heat transfer efficiency.

■ When used on the analog player’s cabinet

When using this product in a cabinet, the installation space for the cartridge to be set requires a width of 37 mm × depth of 70 mm or more.

■ Compatible Cartridge

This product corresponds to the size of the cartridge that fits within the case width of 24 mm × depth 40 mm.

AC adapter (accessory)

Product Specifications

· Power supply DC 5 V AC adapter
· heater Carbon temperature sensor installed
· power consumption 5 W
· External dimensions W 35.5 × L 69 × H 42.5 mm
· weight 86 g
· Operating temperature limit is room temperature
· Operating humidity range normal humidity
· Country of manufacture MADE IN JAPAN

Last edited:

khensu

What happens if the fuse blows because there is a fault in the equipment because of a 5 cent rectifier diode that got shorted out ? Do you have to spend another $600 and 8 days to get the sound back At
At that point, you’d want to step up to the next level: The ChumpizatOr. Painstakingly designed and built from the ground up (pun intended!). Rest assured those electrons will flow through the Chump (for short) in style for a mere $2995! Do expect roughly 1000 hours before your electrons begin exiting the fuse with maximum self-assurance.

A Cute Earring

Orb Audio Cartridge Warmer

Warm the phono cartridge to the deep part with far-infrared rays and maximize the performance

Cartridge Warmer is an analog accessory that warms the Phono Cartridge with far-infrared generated by heating the carbon, draws out the original performance of the cartridge, and improves sound quality. Instead of heat transfer through the air, the far-infrared method in which the thermal energy radiated from the heater directs directly to the object to be heated quickly warms up the phono cartridge to the deep part and warms up to the optimum state. By doing so, it expresses the precise and delicate sound quality engraved on the analog record to the maximum. $330, including shipping.

Product features​

Orb adopted a carbon far-infrared radiation element for the heater, to warm the phono cartridge to the deepest part. In addition, due to the convection heat transfer affect, the whole phono cartridge is warmed efficiently.

Temperature control is by the internal temperature sensor, making it possible to warm the cartridge at a constant temperature, regardless of the outside air temperature.

■ Speedy heater heating

By adopting carbon with high thermal conductivity, it is possible to heat the cartridge quickly.

■ As a tonearm placement

Infrared heating is not heat transfer through air, rather energy is radiated from the heater directly to the object to be heated (similar to how one can feel the heat of a light bulb as soon as it is turned on, even though it is in a vacuum). Infrared heating has good heat transfer efficiency.

When using this product in a cabinet, the installation space for the cartridge to be set requires a width of 37 mm × depth of 70 mm or more.

■ Compatible Cartridge

This product corresponds to the size of the cartridge that fits within the case width of 24 mm × depth 40 mm.

AC adapter (accessory)

Product Specifications

· power consumption 5 W
· weight 86 g

This can not be real!

AudiOhm

I find it amazing that a few hundred hours will break a fuse in and alter the sound signature, but there is no mention of the ability of the said fuse to protect the circuit after break in. Shirley (not the one form Airplane) the metallurgy characteristics must change for both scenarios...

Ohms

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Critical listening is the way customers can protect themselves against expectation bias. I'm quite sure the percentage of audiophiles who are critical listeners is quite high. Furthermore, if you are not a critical listener, you're probably not going to be interested in after-market fuses, much less ones costing $595. After all, they are not bright shiny objects that enhance the visual appearance of your system or your status. They are all about sound quality. Additionally, it is not uncommon to see older used versions of SR fuses for sale on USAudiomart.com, suggesting that a lot of users are trading up. And many people selling their used components advertise that they have Synergistic fuses in them as a value-added selling point.

Can anyone -- anyone at all please -- TELL ME HOW IN THE HELL A FUSE IMPROVES SQ IN ANY WAY??

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
For that sort of money you’d want them individually tested. How else can you be sure they’re in spec?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Punter

Orb Audio Cartridge Warmer

Product features​

■ Speedy heater heating

■ As a tonearm placement

■ Compatible Cartridge

AC adapter (accessory)

Product Specifications

· power consumption 5 W
· weight 86 g
Truly a solution in search of a problem!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Can anyone -- anyone at all please -- TELL ME HOW IN THE HELL A FUSE IMPROVES SQ IN ANY WAY??
Look, they work, otherwise there wouldn't have been an audible improvement. Science doesn't know everything.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Truly a solution in search of a problem!
Well, I for one was just thinking “how could I make playing a record even less convenient and more expensive?” And boom. There it is.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
There was regular advice back in the day in the UK at least, in cold weather to shine a lamp onto your cartridge to warm it up. Back then the idea was that the suspension would stiffen up in cold weather and that warming it would allow the cartridge to work normally.

Indeed, any device that has a minimum operating temperature can benefit from being warmed to above that temperature. However, I never saw any reference to a minimum operating temperature in any cartridge specification. Maybe it's different now, or I just missed that information.

I do remember asking someone who did this, how to warm their cold rubber speaker surrounds to match - "turn the heating on" - "what's this heating you've got that warms up the speakers but not your cartridge?"

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do any of SR's products improve audio in any way? Thed is one of the biggest dealers of audiophoolery around.

Top Bottom