• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I need help for select my next stereo amplifier

keremngy

Hi there.

I use denon, marantz and rega stereo amplifiers before. now im looking for to buy new stereo amplifier and speaker set for to use long time.

Im digging the net and review sites but im just trusting audio science forums on this case.

I usually listen to electronic music or jazz.

These amps on my radar but im not sure which one is good and i dont want to give extra bucks for nothing.

Amplifiers
Arcam sa20
Roksan attessa (without streaming version)
Rega Elex Mk4
Audiolab 7000a
Rotel ra 1572 mkii
Primare i15 prisma mk2

Speakers:
Triangle BR03
Monitor audio silver 100 7g
Sonus faber lumina ii

All suggestions and criticisms are welcome!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Separate amplifiers are a "specialty item" and a receiver (stereo or AVR) usually gives you more "bang-per-buck".

Most amplifiers (including the amplifiers built-into a receiver) normally have flat frequency response and low distortion, unless over-driven into distortion. Sometimes there can be audible noise (background hiss, hum, or whine) but if that's a concern you need standardized-independent measurements (such as the measurements here at ASR) because different manufacturers and different reviewers use different measurement standards. The audibility of any noise also depends on the sensitivity of your speakers and how close you are to the speakers.

With an AVR you'll get a HDMI input and support for all the DVD & Blu-Ray formats. and they all have remote control, etc. (You can configure it for 2-channel stereo if you don't want surround.)

OP
K

keremngy

maybe i need to buy power amplifier and dac seperatly

Miniyouuuu

No review found for the audiolab 7000 (other than Andrew Robinson video).
Seems to be perfect for the price.
Technics announced the SU-G70 with Hdmi and Airplay, but no watts information.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers:
Triangle BR03
Sonus faber lumina ii
Did you actually listen to any of these? IMHO, these are not in the same league at all.
BR03 are OK budget speakers, but clearly nothing to rave about. Lumina II are gorgeous and beautifully finished boxes, but come with very strong sound coloration, particularly with elevated treble.
Silver 100 are the most cohesive and balanced ones. Run circles around the two others, AFAIC.

Amplifiers
Arcam sa20
Rega Elex Mk4
Audiolab 7000a
Rotel ra 1572 mkii
Primare i15 prisma mk2
Same here, very different offerings for different needs. No need to spend as much for an amp, BTW.
If you need both correctly designed and powerful amplification, pick the Rotel and call it done. Rega is a joke. Roksan, Audiolab, and Arcam make decent electronics, but not the last word when power is required.
Primare, I cannot tell about objective performance.

JktHifi

Amplifiers
Rega Elex Mk4 (built-in internal Wolfson DAC)

Speakers:
Triangle BR03 (low freq resp)

fcracer

Forum Donor
Hi there.

I use denon, marantz and rega stereo amplifiers before. now im looking for to buy new stereo amplifier and speaker set for to use long time.

Im digging the net and review sites but im just trusting audio science forums on this case.

I usually listen to electronic music or jazz.

These amps on my radar but im not sure which one is good and i dont want to give extra bucks for nothing.

Amplifiers
Arcam sa20
Rega Elex Mk4
Audiolab 7000a
Rotel ra 1572 mkii
Primare i15 prisma mk2

Speakers:
Triangle BR03
Sonus faber lumina ii

All suggestions and criticisms are welcome!
Whatever you choose to buy, I'd highly recommend finding one that has Dirac Live built in.

There is no bigger improvement to my audio journey than what Dirac Live has delivered. My homes tend to be minimalist with lots of hard surfaces. I'm not willing to compromise the room for sound, but Dirac Live is able to tame most of the room's issues. I'll never buy an integrated amplifier without Dirac Live now.

I use Monitor Audio Silver 6 for most of my listening and they're excellent speakers. The 7th gen measure even better so I wouldn't hesitate to go that direction. You can also consider an earlier gen version as I believe they have larger woofers.

Last edited:

JktHifi

These are based on ?...
Speaker based on some video reviews on YouTube
Amp based on WhatHiFi: CXA-81 vs Elex Mk4 (March 2023)

I like the DAC chip from Wolfson which I found on my old amp Onkyo-9010

Last edited:

notsodeadlizard

Only owners of kits on your list can answer your question.
Everyone else can only express their conjectures.

But there are some more or less objective considerations.
Amplifiers from well-known manufacturers of the same price category will have approximately the same parameters. This is a fact. A miracle won't happen.
It is better to choose an amplifier that works well with a wide range of loads, because this will give you the flexibility to choose your speakers. Good amplifiers last surprisingly long.
The options that are optional for the amplifier are optional.
Hundreds of watts of power output is something you will never use.
If you have the opportunity to go to some audio salon and listen to your favorite recordings on new equipment - use this opportunity by all means and do not listen to anyone but yourself.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Inefficient speakers, above average listening levels and highly dynamic content will definitely require 'hundreds of watts' to reproduce without excessive (read: audible) distortion or clipping artefacts.

200wpc continuous average power into 8 ohms is a good start and will see most audiophiles through a variety of systems. That said, it may not be enough for some.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yamaha A-S 701, Elac DBR62, pair of SVS SB-1000 and MiniDSP Flex (unbalanced) + UMIK-1 (and if you want Dirac Live but you can go without it).
Path B would be Denon X3700H or X3800H AVR, Elac DBR62 or KEF R3's if you can find them cheap and pair of SVS SB-1000 (as they are capable and relatively cheap) sub's.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@restorer-john off topic but what do you think about those L and C series Dynacords? They seam very decently made to me, I have to check real software (DSP) capabilities and price isn't bad either.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@restorer-john off topic but what do you think about those L and C series Dynacords? They seam very decently made to me, I have to check real software (DSP) capabilities and price isn't bad either.
I know nothing about those particular pieces. Whether they offer the sort of low noise/low distortion that we are chasing, I don’t know.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I know nothing about those particular pieces. Whether they offer the sort of low noise/low distortion that we are chasing, I don’t know.
Not chasing anything, seams good A-B typology with good components and cooling. If it performs good and have good done DSP and large enough RIF bank it could be a winner. Asked because I thought you might be interested (regarding build and typology).
Best regards and have a nice day.

D

Deleted member 58722

Only owners of kits on your list can answer your question.
Everyone else can only express their conjectures.

But there are some more or less objective considerations.
Amplifiers from well-known manufacturers of the same price category will have approximately the same parameters. This is a fact. A miracle won't happen.
It is better to choose an amplifier that works well with a wide range of loads, because this will give you the flexibility to choose your speakers. Good amplifiers last surprisingly long.
The options that are optional for the amplifier are optional.
If you have the opportunity to go to some audio salon and listen to your favorite recordings on new equipment - use this opportunity by all means and do not listen to anyone but yourself.
I use hundreds of watts of power on a regular basis, just saying.

D

Deleted member 48726

Yamaha A-S 701, Elac DBR62, pair of SVS SB-1000 and MiniDSP Flex (unbalanced) + UMIK-1 (and if you want Dirac Live but you can go without it).
Path B would be Denon X3700H or X3800H AVR, Elac DBR62 or KEF R3's if you can find them cheap and pair of SVS SB-1000 (as they are capable and relatively cheap) sub's.
That is the most sensible solution by far. And endless tweaking and EQ possibilities for the future.

Top Bottom