• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Amp for my Streamer/PreAmp?

andlum

Hello good guys,

I need your advice, because surfing between the various forums alone has not helped so far.

For the living room I have ordered a streamer / PreAmp from Inklang from Hamburg, which should end up giving music to my Audio Physic Classic 8. I'm still missing an idea of what power amp/amplifier to buy for it.

As I said, I've been reading up for a while and have the following options currently:

- a used Lindemann Musicbook 55
- NuPrime STA-9x
- any of the Audiophonics Class D amplifiers (unfortunately little in stock)
- Apollon NCMP400 (delivery time)
- Rega Elex MK4 (integrated amplifier?)
- XTZ Edge A400 / A300

Would you have a preference or a tip, what I have not yet considered? Price-wise my maximum is around 1000€. Optimal would be a relatively small device, especially in terms of depth. Perfect would be <30cm depth.

Thanks a lot!
Andreas

jae

Major Contributor
If you have ~$1000 to spend the best bet is a Hypex ncore based amp (such as what you'd find at audiophonics). Hypex NCore NC502MP based is what I have in mind or NC252MP if you are fine with half the power and spending less. There's a number of smaller companies using these modules if you look around (example: https://www.buckeyeamp.com/shop/p/hypex-nc502mp-amplifier-2-channel or https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-stereo-hypex-nc502mp-ncore-amplifier-500wx2 although you might want to look for a European one). DIY is also very easy with these modules if you wanted a fun and quick project to do, buy a bare NC502MP module and add a $200 chassis/wiring kit (from ghent audio) and you have something that can be assembled in 10-15 minutes without any soldering or special knowledge for a cheaper price. If you extend your budget by maybe $150-300 there's also Purifi/Nilai to consider. But simply put Hypex is your best option around the $1000 mark, if you need a higher wpc than the Chinese stuff offers that is also very clean. If you didn't already purchase a streamer and don't need analogue inputs, I would have suggested something like the AUDIOPHONICS DAW-S250NC which is a full one-box integrated solution with a linkplay wireless streamer built in. If they ever release a more NC502MP version it will probably sell very well and many companies are probably going to start copying this since linkplay works well.

OP
andlum

andlum

Thanks, jae! I like the idea of the NCore stuff, but there is currently not much stock available at audiophonics or other european brands. Maybe I'll try importing one from the US. ;) DIY would be lovely, but I found kits with balanced connectors; unfortunately, my preamp uses RCA only. The preamp is also set in stone as its one of the few with HDMI arc/CEC, which is essential to me (https://www.inklang.de/de/lautsprecher/hd10-streamconnect).

Which Purifi/Nilai amp would you recommend in that 1100-1300 price bracket?

Overseas

Major Contributor
I think Bluesound Powernode also has HDMI Arc.

Not worth to pay for a high powered amp, as usually you get 80-90 dB with 50-60 w.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It looks like Audiophonics are building to order for most of the Purifi/Ncore power amps.
If it were me I would go with Audiophonics. I appreciate it will be hard to wait, but they are a fantastic company to deal with.
If you could wait I would go for the Audiophonics HPA-S500NC

jae

Major Contributor
Thanks, jae! I like the idea of the NCore stuff, but there is currently not much stock available at audiophonics or other european brands. Maybe I'll try importing one from the US. ;) DIY would be lovely, but I found kits with balanced connectors; unfortunately, my preamp uses RCA only. The preamp is also set in stone as its one of the few with HDMI arc/CEC, which is essential to me (https://www.inklang.de/de/lautsprecher/hd10-streamconnect).

Which Purifi/Nilai amp would you recommend in that 1100-1300 price bracket?
Nilai kit can be ordered directly from them for 1225 EUR at https://www.diyclassd.com/product/nilai500diy-250w-stereo-kit/185, although they are backordered until almost July (note that Nilai is actually ~500 wpc but as the PSU in that particular kit is limited you will only get 250-300 wpc). I have seen a few being resold around Europe through various vendors but no bells are ringing in my head as to where. Purifi can also be built in a kit, but if you want to buy a prebuilt one, importing from the US even with VAT is probably cheaper than many of the European ones which tend to have a bit of a price premium (but those chassis tend to look a bit nicer). March Audio from Australia is decently priced too but maybe just pushing beyond that budget after VAT. The ones from the vendors I linked as well as well Audiophonics/March are probably the most affordable ones. There is a large thread or two on here about the different vendors by continent and the options they have. Pricing has unfortunately gone up across the board since the last year or so. The one @Joffy1780 linked is also a great choice and right at your 1k budget, that one escaped my eye.

JSmith

Master Contributor
not much stock available at audiophonics
Last one in stock, if you need quickly;
Plenty of other choices both NCore and Purifi based;

JSmith

Overseas

Major Contributor
What about:
Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 with Hdmi Arc, streaming, Room correction and 60w power - you can upgrade later with some cheap power watts?

OP
andlum

andlum

What about:
Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 with Hdmi Arc, streaming, Room correction and 60w power - you can upgrade later with some cheap power watts?
I currently own the TDAI 1120, but my inner child does not like my phono signal to be converted to digital as the first step. My brain thinks this does not matter, my heart feels uncomfortable. ;)

Overseas

Major Contributor
Right, in case of phono, if critical.
I do not play with vinyl, not at all.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Can you give me your impressions on the 1120? Here or pm, whenver you can.
You in Europe?

OP
andlum

andlum

Can you give me your impressions on the 1120? Here or pm, whenver you can.
You in Europe?
I love the software and also what RP does. I can place my speaker where WAF is maximised and still get very very decent sound. If I would only stream, that thing would go nowhere.

Yes, I live in Germany. There is a TDAI 1120 for sale... ;)

sejarzo

Forum Donor
DIY would be lovely, but I found kits with balanced connectors; unfortunately, my preamp uses RCA only.

If DIY is an option, then modifying a couple of XLR cables as shown would be a simple matter and properly interface your preamp.

1678974977150.png

OP
andlum

andlum

Thanks for your input.

I still have one question: since I have a budget of 2000€ for (streaming) pre-amp and power amp, I wonder how the distribution should ideally be:

1. Inklang Streamer for 999€ + 1000€ power amp.
2. Bluesound Node for 500€ (B-ware) plus 1500€ power amplifier?

Joffy1780

How about Wiim Pro €150 + Minidsp Flex €650 ish + €1300 power amp (Purifi)?
The Wiim Pro offers bit perfect digital output and will be Roon ready soon (if you use it), the flex has an input for your phono and room correction and this leaves budget for a Purifi power amp.
You could add an extra €100 and go balanced with the flex and add Dirac Live if you like.

OP
andlum

andlum

How about Wiim Pro €150 + Minidsp Flex €650 ish + €1300 power amp (Purifi)?
The Wiim Pro offers bit perfect digital output and will be Roon ready soon (if you use it), the flex has an input for your phono and room correction and this leaves budget for a Purifi power amp.
You could add an extra €100 and go balanced with the flex and add Dirac Live if you like.
Unfortunately, almost only the two streamers work, as HDMI ARC is important to me and there arent many options somehow. :/

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to add one more European manufacturer of reasonably priced and good quality Hypex and Purifi amplifiers.

Joffy1780

Unfortunately, almost only the two streamers work, as HDMI ARC is important to me and there arent many options somehow. :/
Sorry, I missed that. You couldn't use optical in to the streamer for TV sound?

OP
andlum

andlum

Sorry, I missed that. You couldn't use optical in to the streamer for TV sound?
I really want the tv remote to be the only thing my wife and kids need when watching tv. So unfortunately HDMI it is. I feel like I looked in every corner of the internet, but HDMI arc enabled streamer are a rare good these days. ;)

Joffy1780

I really want the tv remote to be the only thing my wife and kids need when watching tv. So unfortunately HDMI it is. I feel like I looked in every corner of the internet, but HDMI arc enabled streamer are a rare good these days. ;)
Oh OK I get you. I have a really simple (or at least I thought so) setup downstairs, but whenever my partner/daughter/in laws are watching TV they will always just use the TV speakers :facepalm:

Top Bottom