• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that sometimes, SOME people we look upon as extremely stupid are, in actuality, not stupid at all. They simply play a game of provocation, called, "I Reject Your Value System". They continue to do it because they see that no one catches on to what they're really saying.

Always remember: Everything that people do is done for a reason. It's just that sometimes the reason is really, really hard to figure out.

Jim
Sometimes it's just contrariness.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I think that sometimes, SOME people we look upon as extremely stupid are, in actuality, not stupid at all. They simply play a game of provocation, called, "I Reject Your Value System". They continue to do it because they see that no one catches on to what they're really saying.

Always remember: Everything that people do is done for a reason. It's just that sometimes the reason is really, really hard to figure out.

Jim

Absolutely. I also believe that many of those who seem nuts are simply willfully ignorant because of how it allows them to be part of a social group.

Ironically enough, many of those groups look at ASR as a construct of that very effect, and we end with situations where both parties shout "flatearther" at each other.

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I read him as well... but saying he's not one, is not saying much.:facepalm:

You are lucky @Spkrdctr is humble enough to thank you.
I would venture to guess that even saying "He's no idiot-savant" would be an insult!
LOL!! You made me belly laugh with this post.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This
Sometimes it's just contrariness.
It's pretty much always for personal gain of some sort.
Hope uze 'awl don't mind me adding my version:
All is not logical. Should not be and could not be; man's mind wouldn't allow it!

I am wondering if anyone, charged for murder, ever tried to use having a hang-nail that day as justification.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or a cup of hot McDonald's coffee held between their legs .............
Jim
Unfortunately, your statement can go either way; depending on if you know why "Stella Awards" became a thing.:oops:
The True Stella Awards® were inspired by Stella Liebeck. In 1992, Stella, then 79, spilled a cup of McDonald’s coffee onto her own lap, burning herself. A New Mexico jury awarded her $2.9 million in damages, but that’s not the whole story.
From <https://stellaawards.com/>

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Insulting people who disagree with me only serves to pad my ego. Engineering intelligence is not the only kind. I know brilliant people who could easily be convinced to believe audiophile dogma. I know a guy who has a PhD in medieval history. He went to university at 15 years of age. Sit down and discuss history and philosophy with him and you will not be calling him stupid. In the technical arena he is completely clueless and would happily admit it. I have other friends with prodigious talents in non technical areas. I don’t call them stupid because they don’t understand how a Delta-Sigma DAC works.

The objectivist/subjectivist debate too often devolves into one side yelling “you’re stupid”, while the other side yells, “you’re deaf and your system sucks. It’s tedious. Self righteousness is unattractive and boring.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The objectivist/subjectivist debate too often devolves into one side yelling “you’re stupid”, while the other side yells, “you’re deaf and your system sucks. It’s tedious. Self righteousness is unattractive and boring.
Yes it can be boring and it is VERY tedious. But since the "Your deaf and your system sucks" crowd is anti-science and not all that bright in the audio arena, at the very least we have to state that they are ignorant of what they say. Shortened by many to saying "your stupid". Plus you have to remember that the anti-science crowd has had MANY people explain the topics to them so anyone can easily understand them and they then say, well sure that is what the science says, but your system sucks and you have tin ears. So, IMHO they get what they deserve. They willfully, maliciously and vehemently ignore all the science and believe that the electrons are modified by a piece of wood. At that point even I with my "Mother Theresa" personality get worn out and I have been known to quietly say under my breath "Your Stupid" to such a person. I probably shouldn't, but when they deny everything "just because" then I do not think much of them. It is a cross I have to bear and many ASR members have helped me deal with it and be a better person.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They willfully, maliciously and vehemently ignore all the science and believe that the electrons are modified by a piece of wood.
I bet ironwood modifies the electron spins. That has to increase the soundstage!

;)

rwortman

Forum Donor
“Anyone can easily understand” is simply not true and “my angry self righteousness is justified” is never really true.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
even I with my "Mother Theresa" personality
Oh mahn! I am soooo sexist! I had presumed you were an outtie. Apologies.
But, be honest @Spkrdctr, don't you stop (or even go out of your way) to watch a real cat-fight?
You certainly are not going to stop them in the middle of an escalating fight to ask them their IQs?
Maybe I give you too much credit!;)

pau

Yes it can be boring and it is VERY tedious. But since the "Your deaf and your system sucks" crowd is anti-science and not all that bright in the audio arena, at the very least we have to state that they are ignorant of what they say. Shortened by many to saying "your stupid". Plus you have to remember that the anti-science crowd has had MANY people explain the topics to them so anyone can easily understand them and they then say, well sure that is what the science says, but your system sucks and you have tin ears. So, IMHO they get what they deserve. They willfully, maliciously and vehemently ignore all the science and believe that the electrons are modified by a piece of wood. At that point even I with my "Mother Theresa" personality get worn out and I have been known to quietly say under my breath "Your Stupid" to such a person. I probably shouldn't, but when they deny everything "just because" then I do not think much of them. It is a cross I have to bear and many ASR members have helped me deal with it and be a better person.
" It is a cross I have to bear and many ASR members have helped me deal with it and be a better person."

I personally have been ignoring for the last 20 years all internet opinions and to me this doenst change anything compared to old truths claimed. Play your game and seek your personal goals is much wiser than hunting internet's approval.

Tech is progressing in really slow pace novadays even the 80's had more innovatitons. (Look speakers or amps design for 1990 - 2020 nothing ground shaking or Einstainn level figured. => signal a bit better / noise reduced / power reduced. nothing like defining gravity here.

In the end your ears decide what is worth and when.

"There's been wise man building the world we live today, we should aim to build it better."

rwortman

Forum Donor
This will probably offend just about everyone.

There isn’t much deep thinking or original thought on any internet forum. Mostly people parrot whatever authority they have chosen to trust. Claims of intellectual superiority based on this are not convincing. Both sides do the same thing but have chosen different authorities.

I have several other hobbies where the same thing occurs. Magazine writers who are not engineers or professional users of the products tell consumers what they should want and the consumers line up behind them. Products get more and more expensive as consumers demand that marginally useful or practically useless things be included in every model. Manufacturers cosy up to the reviewers and the market turns into a fantasy world.

Top Bottom