• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some "experiences" with one of those SR audiophile switches:

It's an unbelievable read... It shows that ignorance is truly bliss. Also, the failure of these people to detect any form of irony or sarcasm is quite staggering :facepalm:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Going ba
Here are some "experiences" with one of those SR audiophile switches:

It's an unbelievable read... It shows that ignorance is truly bliss. Also, the failure of these people to detect any form of irony or sarcasm is quite staggering :facepalm:
Going back to the Naim forum and reading that thread has made me realise just how far away I've become from all this nonsense. Forty years ago I'd have lapped it up sheep-like to 'share' with my customers (who were mostly 'there' already, so preaching to the converted), but older age has changed all that. How do these peeps get thousands to spend on a sound system, chopping and changing plus a grand or so on another tier for their Fraim rack. They obviously do - and more as Naim's not the only expensive brand offering a 'dream-ladder.'

All this sh*t is tainted really and populated by willfully ignorant buyers who still long for a subjective led dream. I feel as if I'm turning my back fully on my livelihood, hobby and life-obsession of so many years now and it's a painful thing to have that cold realisation come and slap you in the face. I stay here mostly now and all but ignore the other UK based audio forums as the same old nonsense just rinses and repeats time after time......

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't say I ever had interest in snake oil stuff, except to admire the imagination of some of the psuedo-science. And they've pivoted nicely for the digital age.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All this sh*t is tainted really and populated by willfully ignorant buyers who still long for a subjective led dream.
I’m genuinely asking myself if this shouldn’t be classified as some mental health condition? It really reads as if people are addicted to this shit.

The Wikipedia definition of addiction fits perfectly:

Addiction is a neuropsychological disorder characterized by a persistent and intense urge to engage in certain behaviors, often usage of a drug, despite substantial harm and other negative consequences. Repetitive drug use often alters brain function in ways that perpetuate craving, and weakens (but does not completely negate) self-control.[6] This phenomenon – drugs reshaping brain function – has led to an understanding of addiction as a brain disorder with a complex variety of psychosocial as well as neurobiological (and thus involuntary)[a] factors that are implicated in addiction's development.[3][7][8] Classic signs of addiction include compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, preoccupation with substances or behavior, and continued use despite negative consequences. Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward),[9][10] coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs).[7][11]

DSJR

Major Contributor
You can take me away from the audio gear, but you'll never fully remove me from this life obsession, not completely ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
If these were medical devices these people would be gone and imprisoned.
I think there are quack medical devices that are just like the cable quackery, such as the red-light box that cures whatever ails ya. In the case of the medical device you simply claim, in fine print on an obscure position on the label, that this device (or supplement) does not cure any disease or illness, and that gets you off the hook- a quack Miranda warning. Use words like 'supports' rather than of 'cures'. Cables with preposterous claims don't require this. Claim whatever sells cables.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
All this sh*t is tainted really and populated by willfully ignorant buyers who still long for a subjective led dream. I feel as if I'm turning my back fully on my livelihood, hobby and life-obsession of so many years now and it's a painful thing to have that cold realisation come and slap you in the face. I stay here mostly now and all but ignore the other UK based audio forums as the same old nonsense just rinses and repeats time after time......
What upsets me most is the fact that when newer entry level people go looking for information, 99% of what they find is this distorted crap whether from the net or retail store. I wonder how many walk away in disgust thinking
"I can never afford a really good sounding system if I need to buy $5k power cords and interconnects, etc :( "
Then just get a Alexa interconnect speaker and give up. :facepalm:.
Back in the 1970-90s there were tons of brick and mortar stores selling mid to low high-end gear without wrapping it up in all this nonsense.

I was part of, and then later fought this clan for 5+ decades. I've been told so many times elsewhere, "why do you care what others spend their money on, or if you can't hear it, your ears or gear are lacking. Then banned a few times for decrying their religion..
Thank God Amir started ASR shortly after I got banned at WBF, this place is mostly absent of this attitude.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Would that be an audiophile rope or one bought from a hardware store? It does make a massive difference and the subjective effects on your wallet shouldn’t be ignored.

It's been cryogenicly frozen and then later marked for directional use.
(The "the head goes here" for the uninitiated. LOL

DSJR

Major Contributor
You really need to make sure the noose is at the right end. See you were wrong directionality does matter!
That's three of us in Suffolk (including @sergeauckland) with hopefully the right idea. Just a few more hundred thousand on this county to go :D (I'm still debating whether to attend an 'Accuphase weekend' in a few days at my local audio salon - I need to test out my bionic ears at least on other 'HiFi Biased' systems)

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
That's three of us in Suffolk (including @sergeauckland) with hopefully the right idea. Just a few more hundred thousand on this county to go :D (I'm still debating whether to attend an 'Accuphase weekend' in a few days at my local audio salon - I need to test out my bionic ears at least on other 'HiFi Biased' systems)
Got an invitation to it and not too sure whether to go? Always liked the look of Accuphase gear, price wise though? Found most of the stuff at HiFi shows not too impressive, maybe it’s the hotel rooms. TAD are an exception for me not affordable though and not compatible with our little cottage.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I’m genuinely asking myself if this shouldn’t be classified as some mental health condition? It really reads as if people are addicted to this shit.

The Wikipedia definition of addiction fits perfectly:

I brought this up quite awhile ago and I had many ASR faithful jump on me as being a lowlife scumbag for even mentioning that it could be a mental condition or illness. They were of the opinion that extreme stupidity is not a mental illness. I disagree, but I dropped the subject as it was me talking to many ASR peeps, and I was shouted out of the room. I still believe that extreme stupidity and belief in anti-science is some kind of mental condition but I don't dare bring it up. You on the other hand touched the third rail on the subway line and will probably do much better than I did. Good Luck! :)

egellings

Major Contributor
Maybe it's just a normally functioning brain that got loaded with BS and doesn't know that.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I brought this up quite awhile ago and I had many ASR faithful jump on me as being a lowlife scumbag for even mentioning that it could be a mental condition or illness. They were of the opinion that extreme stupidity is not a mental illness. I disagree, but I dropped the subject as it was me talking to many ASR peeps, and I was shouted out of the room. I still believe that extreme stupidity and belief in anti-science is some kind of mental condition but I don't dare bring it up. You on the other hand touched the third rail on the subway line and will probably do much better than I did. Good Luck! :)
Well, I think it’s more about why people act stupidly, than that’s a general state of stupidness. Many of these people have a shitload of money to burn. If your really stupid, you don’t have that much to spend (except for the very rare exceptions that won the lottery or something). And an addiction would fit exactly in. It makes you do irrational things, just to get to you to the next fix. Buy the next cable, the next audiophile network switch, some stone to put on your speakers, a grounding box, whatever… all having an immediate massive effect, time and time again.

Sad really that this seems to be a taboo subject…

Vacceo

Major Contributor
What upsets me most is the fact that when newer entry level people go looking for information, 99% of what they find is this distorted crap whether from the net or retail store. I wonder how many walk away in disgust thinking
"I can never afford a really good sounding system if I need to buy $5k power cords and interconnects, etc :( "
Then just get a Alexa interconnect speaker and give up. :facepalm:.
Back in the 1970-90s there were tons of brick and mortar stores selling mid to low high-end gear without wrapping it up in all this nonsense.

I was part of, and then later fought this clan for 5+ decades. I've been told so many times elsewhere, "why do you care what others spend their money on, or if you can't hear it, your ears or gear are lacking. Then banned a few times for decrying their religion..
Thank God Amir started ASR shortly after I got banned at WBF, this place is mostly absent of this attitude.
You care because the BS feeds BS, not real innovation. Real innovation comes in the form of better sound, cheaper and more elegant ways to archive it.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Well, I think it’s more about why people act stupidly, than that’s a general state of stupidness. Many of these people have a shitload of money to burn. If your really stupid, you don’t have that much to spend (except for the very rare exceptions that won the lottery or something). And an addiction would fit exactly in. It makes you do irrational things, just to get to you to the next fix. Buy the next cable, the next audiophile network switch, some stone to put on your speakers, a grounding box, whatever… all having an immediate massive effect, time and time again.
There you go! You eloquently took my broad brush statements and refined them to mean something that I agree with. I think I need a professional ASR interpreter to rewrite my answers so that they sound higher in intelligence and make the reader think that by reading it they are getting smarter. I have that age old problem of looking at an idiot and saying "What a moron". I could go into greater detail as you did in such a fine fashion, but I have learned over the years that flowery prose takes me two minutes longer to write and in the end no matter how well I state it, an idiot is still an idiot. I truly, truly believe that you can't fix stupid and that many times stupid hurts. So, I shorten it down to the "you idiot" broad brush statement. Now, does that broad brush bite me in the butt? Heck yes! This is ASR after all. But if I didn't broad brush, people here would think someone else was posting in my account! I am the original and truly dedicated ASR Broad Brush Master. Or as some of the high end writers here would say "Spkrdctr, you idiot"! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom