• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
still on my usual supply of Costco beans
I've never been inside a Costco. I have no idea what it is all about. I think I would need a big freezer in order to shop there. :D How much is bean at Costco?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never been inside a Costco. I have no idea what it is all about. I think I would need a big freezer in order to shop there. :D How much is bean at Costco?
They vary with selection of product with Costco location, it's different here somewhat from the SF Bay area where I used to live (current one is Eugene, Oregon for me now).....they carry a few different roasters (and too much of it is Starbucks and those stupid plastic dose cuppy things). For my aeropress use usually used the whole bean dark roast offerings from San Francisco Bay brand of Rogers Roasting (which is closer to Sacramento than San Francisco Bay). Pricing of the French Roast was USD 15 for a 3lb bag.....some more for some of the others they offer. Sometimes they have Peet's Major Dickason but costs a bit more. Looking now for my next trip to Eugene to see what some local roasters have to offer.....and am sure the pricing will be more in the range of 15/lb :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They vary with selection of product with Costco location, it's different here somewhat from the SF Bay area where I used to live (current one is Eugene, Oregon for me now).....they carry a few different roasters (and too much of it is Starbucks and those stupid plastic dose cuppy things). For my aeropress use usually used the whole bean dark roast offerings from San Francisco Bay brand of Rogers Roasting (which is closer to Sacramento than San Francisco Bay). Pricing of the French Roast was USD 15 for a 3lb bag.....some more for some of the others they offer. Sometimes they have Peet's Major Dickason but costs a bit more. Looking now for my next trip to Eugene to see what some local roasters have to offer.....and am sure the pricing will be more in the range of 15/lb :)
I've been to Eugene Oregon en route to California. We drove down the #5 I think it was and then did the National Forest(s) drive and came out at Eureka to the Pacific Coast. Wonderful drive, I recommend it to anyone. USD$15/3lbs is a great deal for decent bean.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been to Eugene Oregon en route to California. We drove down the #5 I think it was and then did the National Forest(s) drive and came out at Eureka to the Pacific Coast. Wonderful drive, I recommend it to anyone. USD$15/3lbs is a great deal for decent bean.
I'm about 45 miles to the southeast of Eugene (exit from 5 via old forest road 58, or highway 58) along the Middle Fork of the Willamette River (near the conjunction of the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River :) ), surrounded by Willamette National Forest. While the $15/3lb bag (think the dark Rainforest is $18/3lb) ain't the best, it's good enough for most use in general coffee making, not impressed with it for espresso so far, tho....think I need to explore lighter roasts that I don't prefer for general coffee making....espresso offers more options so to speak.....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm about 45 miles to the southeast of Eugene (exit from 5 via old forest road 58, or highway 58) along the Middle Fork of the Willamette River (near the conjunction of the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette River :) ), surrounded by Willamette National Forest. While the $15/3lb bag (think the dark Rainforest is $18/3lb) ain't the best, it's good enough for most use in general coffee making, not impressed with it for espresso so far, tho....think I need to explore lighter roasts that I don't prefer for general coffee making....espresso offers more options so to speak.....
I don't have a espresso maker but I have enjoyed espresso when living in Vancouver. We used to go to a small coffee shop window downtown at about 6am to 7am before work and they upon special request served alcohol in the coffee with bitters too. Great stuff and a nice buzzz early in the morning. :D It pays to get to know the coffee shop owners and get the special sauce per say.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a espresso maker but I have enjoyed espresso when living in Vancouver. We used to go to a small coffee shop window downtown at about 6am to 7am before work and they upon special request served alcohol in the coffee with bitters too. Great stuff and a nice buzzz early in the morning. :D It pays to get to know the coffee shop owners and get the special sauce per say.
I just got the Flair Espresso manual maker.....and the grinder. Just upping my coffee game. I could go out for it, but have always been more a coffee at home person.....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got the Flair Espresso manual maker.....and the grinder. Just upping my coffee game. I could go out for it, but have always been more a coffee at home person.....
Wowow. That's dedication to espresso. It sure beats thousands of dollars for a big espresso machine for home use. I'm about the same I drink coffee @ home. Every time I buy a Starbucks vente dark roast I need to search out a washroom in short order and the way things are these days washrooms are not available out in public.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Wowow. A blend of coffees from Brazil, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Kenya and Ethiopia. At the price of this stuff they must be coffee bean gurus to be mixing and roasting as such. :D
Howell's the OG specialty coffee guy... starting about 40 years ago. He's the first one who started really doing the whole light roast origin character thing at The Coffee Connection.

Wowow. That's dedication to espresso. It sure beats thousands of dollars for a big espresso machine for home use. I'm about the same I drink coffee @ home. Every time I buy a Starbucks vente dark roast I need to search out a washroom in short order and the way things are these days washrooms are not available out in public.
A lot of really enthusiastic espresso people use its big brother, the Flair 58 - because they have total control over everything.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Howell's the OG specialty coffee guy... starting about 40 years ago. He's the first one who started really doing the whole light roast origin character thing at The Coffee Connection.

A lot of really enthusiastic espresso people use its big brother, the Flair 58 - because they have total control over everything.
What is the electrical power for if it is a manual machine?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The electrical parts are in heating your water and the brew head....kinda of a pain but saves $ :) I have a friend with a high-end machine that grinds the beans, makes whatever coffee drink you want and even disposes of the puck....until it fills up that is. Nice for the one button thing (as long as you keep it loaded with coffee beans/milk/water)....but maintenance in the long run will be an issue to contend with otoh. I like the manual grinder/machine aspects for camping/power outages as well as just regular home use. I liked my aeropress somewhat for the same reason, but with an electric grinder at one point that didn't work too well :).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The electrical parts are in heating your water and the brew head....kinda of a pain but saves $ :) I have a friend with a high-end machine that grinds the beans, makes whatever coffee drink you want and even disposes of the puck....until it fills up that is. Nice for the one button thing (as long as you keep it loaded with coffee beans/milk/water)....but maintenance in the long run will be an issue to contend with otoh. I like the manual grinder/machine aspects for camping/power outages as well as just regular home use. I liked my aeropress somewhat for the same reason, but with an electric grinder at one point that didn't work too well :).
How does this stovetop unit compare to a manual espresso maker like what you use? I used one of these stovetop units for some months and it was decent but sometimes it was just off tasting somehow. I think it was too strong a brew and overheated the bean.
Screenshot 2022-05-09 215713.png

dfuller

Major Contributor
How does this stovetop unit compare to a manual espresso maker like what you use? I used one of these stovetop units for some months and it was decent but sometimes it was just off tasting somehow. I think it was too strong a brew and overheated the bean.
Moka pots do something entirely different from a manual lever like a Flair (or a Europiccola or Cremina for that matter). They run at ballpark 1 bar, maybe two, and the coffee is not as concentrated - you're looking at a brew ratio around 1:10 rather than the 1:2-1:3 you'd expect from a true espresso. Inexplicably, they're also way more finicky than espresso.
The chamber you fill with hot water has a cartridge heater so you don't have to do the whole song and dance of preheating it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 205757
Not an espresso machine, mostly just called "moka" for the most part like dfuller says, more in line with aeropress for grind.
Moka pots do something entirely different from a manual lever like a Flair (or a Europiccola or Cremina for that matter). They run at ballpark 1 bar, maybe two, and the coffee is not as concentrated - you're looking at a brew ratio around 1:10 rather than the 1:2-1:3 you'd expect from a true espresso. Inexplicably, they're also way more finicky than espresso.

The chamber you fill with hot water has a cartridge heater so you don't have to do the whole song and dance of preheating it.
Cartridge heater on a Flair?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Cartridge heater on a Flair?
Yeah, or something along those lines. The brew chamber is heated electrically on the 58 (not the 58X or the Pro, Classic, Neo). It means you don't have to do the whole song and dance of dunking the brew chamber in boiling water or sitting it on top of your kettle with the lid open while it comes up to temperature.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, or something along those lines. The brew chamber is heated electrically on the 58 (not the 58X or the Pro, Classic, Neo). It means you don't have to do the whole song and dance of dunking the brew chamber in boiling water or sitting it on top of your kettle with the lid open while it comes up to temperature.
Ah, hadn't noticed that option on the 58, thanks....

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My brain and body don't see to like to go up if you get my drift, so caffine never gelled with me.

TimW

Major Contributor
View attachment 205757
I gifted one of these to my brother and recently a coworker gifted me the large 12 cup version. The coffee it makes is closer to espresso then an aeropress but it is not really espresso. It forces water through coffee grounds using metal filters just like espresso, but an espresso machine operates at a much higher pressure and with a much finer metal filter.

I'm not a huge fan of these things since it takes quite a lot of time for not a lot of coffee. Yes the coffee is very strong but not as strong or creamy as espresso. Yes it could be diluted to make something closer to drip, but I would rather have easy paper filtered coffee for that. If you had a good process for making coffee with these things it might be worth doing but for me it's a hassle that produces silty, burnt tasting coffee.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
This is probably my biggest point of dissatisfaction with my Lelit Fred (PL044) Grinder... the chute.
GRINDERS_PL044MMT_Sd_ld_794x.jpg

It grinds great, low retention... I can even work around that ridiculous fork for resting the portafilter, and I hold the button by hand rather than trying to activate it with the pf... But the chute just seems a simplistic solution on an otherwise well designed grinder.

Top Bottom