• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

bequietjk

Just dropping by today because I miss this community <3

Also, I usually stop by Peets coffee once a day for a dark roast with oatmilk and brownie/scone :) But the brownie + coffee is the ultimate for me.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's available at Amazon.ca by the pound.
I think you forgot to put the KopheePhool warning in your link:;)
Snag_293dc2fc.png

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although I have regained a little bit of mobility (I can walk with my Rollator/walker rather than sitting in it), I still don't feel comfortable enough to use my AeroPress with the tall pre-pressng assembly and the awkward plunging motion with its potential for knocking things over while pressing.

So I went to Amazon and bought a Technivorm Moccamaster Cup One single cup drip machine. It arrived today, and combined with my Oxo burr grinder, I now have an easy way to brew really good coffee using locally grown, recently roasted full-city roast arabica coffee.

With Technivorm coffee makers being Dutch products, I thought it was appropriate to use my Delft-style blue windmill coffee cup for my first taste of excellent "easy coffee"...

Moccamaster Cup One.jpg

Blue Delft Dutch Coffee Cup.jpg

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very cool to have locally grown fresh coffee. :D
I get very good local coffee for $12/pound, but the "Best of Panama" LINK at $2,568.00 per pound is a bit out of my reach!

New Zealand bought that most expensive "best of the best" Panamanian coffee at auction last year - 1/4 million dollars for 100 pounds of coffee!

Most of the harvesting of the coffee "cherries" in Panama is done by the local indigenous people, the Ngäbe-Buglé. There are two seeds or "coffee beans" inside each cherry. Panama is a small player in the global market, and not available everywhere.

Harvesting Coffee.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I get very good local coffee for $12/pound, but the "Best of Panama" LINK at $2,568.00 per pound is a bit out of my reach!

New Zealand bought that most expensive "best of the best" Panamanian coffee at auction last year - 1/4 million dollars for 100 pounds of coffee!

Most of the harvesting of the coffee "cherries" in Panama is done by the local indigenous people, the Ngäbe-Buglé. There are two seeds or "coffee beans" inside each cherry. Panama is a small player in the global market, and not available everywhere.

View attachment 207467
It appears the Panamanian coffee bean is appreciated by Asian interests. Looking at the auction sales results for winning bidders.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.png

dfuller

Major Contributor
Panamanian Geshas/Geishas are special coffees for sure.

Also excellent, the SL28 cultivar, mostly grown in Kenya but a bit in Colombia too. I have a bag of it from Howell (Mamuto AB) and it straight up smells like blackberries.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it was @SIY who had mentioned (but only in the passing) about the difficulties in training new baristas about how to froth milk.
After starting 16 months ago with a fully manual Lever espresso rig, I had somewhat finessed pulling the shots consistently.
A few weeks ago (by mistake) while frothing 80gm of half-and-half for my mate, I had this exquisite foam :oops: for the first time ever.
I did not know how it happened.

So, I went back to 'yt school' and watched like 2 hours of videos on the subject matter... including a long but technical video by James Hoffman.

Duh Moment >> This morning, I was able to successfully repeat the foam-deed, twice in a row (the 2nd one w/50gm of whole milk).
I hope @SIY doesn't flog me for letting the proverbial cat out of the bag:
All you gotta do is to keep the tip of the steam wand NO MORE THAN 1/4" below the top of the liquid and not dead center of the vessel used.
SCHZAAAAAM!:cool:
----------------------------
EDIT (add):
Tilting the vessel to increase surface area of the liquid may add to the quality.
I also use a translucent silicone cover (w/a 1.2cm hole for the wand) to prevent splashes.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIY

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think it was @SIY who had mentioned (but only in the passing) about the difficulties in training new baristas about how to froth milk.
After starting 16 months ago with a fully manual Lever espresso rig, I had somewhat finessed pulling the shots consistently.
A few weeks ago (by mistake) while frothing 80gm of half-and-half for my mate, I had this exquisite foam :oops: for the first time ever.
I did not know how it happened.

So, I went back to 'yt school' and watched like 2 hours of videos on the subject matter... including a long but technical video by James Hoffman.

Duh Moment >> This morning, I was able to successfully repeat the foam-deed, twice in a row (the 2nd one w/50gm of whole milk).
I hope @SIY doesn't flog me for letting the proverbial cat out of the bag:
All you gotta do is to keep the tip of the steam wand NO MORE THAN 1/4" below the top of the liquid and not dead center of the vessel used.
SCHZAAAAAM!:cool:
----------------------------
EDIT (add):
Tilting the vessel to increase surface area of the liquid may add to the quality.
I also use a translucent silicone cover (w/a 1.2cm hole for the wand) to prevent splashes.
Always suggest checking out Lance Hedrick's video. He's a very good teacher.

dfuller

Major Contributor
So I'm moving on from my current espresso machine. Heat exchangers are just a poor solution compared to dual boilers. Too much compromise. Thinking a Rancilio Silvia Pro is probably the move.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use cheap, pre-ground decaf from my local Kroger store, two heaping tablespoons in a pour over to fill my coffee mug to the brim. I usually drink it straight, but sometimes add milk and/or sugar. We have higher quality, fully caffeinated coffee at work but I don't respond well to caffeine. I don't like the buzz and I don't like the withdrawal. Love the taste of coffee though!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
So I'm moving on from my current espresso machine. Heat exchangers are just a poor solution compared to dual boilers. Too much compromise. Thinking a Rancilio Silvia Pro is probably the move.
I had been curious about that vs the Lelit Bianca. The latter is a little more expensive but seems liked a bit more in reviews I've seen. Though, to be fair, I have not seen the Sylvia Pro review poorly. At the point I am nearing 2K, what's another 5-600?
Curious to know your thoughts? Other machines you have looked at?
:)

dfuller

Major Contributor
I had been curious about that vs the Lelit Bianca. The latter is a little more expensive but seems liked a bit more in reviews I've seen. Though, to be fair, I have not seen the Sylvia Pro review poorly. At the point I am nearing 2K, what's another 5-600?
Curious to know your thoughts? Other machines you have looked at?
:)
The Bianca is by all accounts a killer machine. It's just too big for my space and out of budget.

I also considered the Profitec Pro 300, but it's slightly inferior in features (pressurestat on the smaller service boiler, only one pump) but it does look nice. Also considered the Lelit Elizabeth, but it looks cheap like a Gaggia Classic. Not a fan of that.

I use cheap, pre-ground decaf from my local Kroger store, two heaping tablespoons in a pour over to fill my coffee mug to the brim. I usually drink it straight, but sometimes add milk and/or sugar. We have higher quality, fully caffeinated coffee at work but I don't respond well to caffeine. I don't like the buzz and I don't like the withdrawal. Love the taste of coffee though!
Try Talking Crow if you're into decaf. George Howell has a couple good ones too. All very nice.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You know how milk is supposed to taste better just because you freshly milked Betsie just a few minutes ago? Me neither!:oops:
But if freshly sourced Betsie milk is not just a myth, I recommend looking into a Lever machine like the LaPavoni.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I recommend looking into a Lever machine like the LaPavoni.
I like my pumps, lol. If I was gonna go for a lever machine it'd be a spring lever of some sort.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A curmudgeonly man from Shanghai was one of the first to bring in Geisha beans to our parts. Just had a wonderful cold brewed Geisha from Santa Teresa, Panama - super winey, aromatic, yet not tannic.

Top Bottom