• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

devopsprodude

Recently got Philips 4300 superautomatic espresso machine with Lattego and it is fantastic. Absolutely amazing product. My coffee intake has increased significantly since purchasing it. Also switched to using Bottomless to ensure I always have decaf on hand. If you want to try it out, we both can get a free bag if you use my link https://www.bottomless.com/referral/AScoble6818

itz_all_about_the_music

For the past year or so, I have been using the below combo:

- Aeropress Coffee Maker: https://aeropress.com/product/aeropress-coffee-maker/
- Costco's Kirkland brand Colombian Supremo whole bean: https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Colombian-Supremo-Coffee/dp/B0036FKPVA
- Mr Coffee grinder
- Black and Decker kettle

I drink it black myself and make a cup with a splash of milk and sugar for the missus.

I used a French press for years prior and still use it if making many cups for a crowd but generally prefer the smoothness (no grit) of the aeropress.

Curious to see what other members use so I can try to switch it up.

View attachment 92890

View attachment 92891
Do members read fiction or non-fiction? WHO CARES. Similarly, why is this an audio science topic of interest? Maybe try Martha Stewart instead. Less science, more chitty-chatty there.

Peace.

TimW

Major Contributor
Do members read fiction or non-fiction? WHO CARES. Similarly, why is this an audio science topic of interest? Maybe try Martha Stewart instead. Less science, more chitty-chatty there.

Peace.
1651255290552.png

ryanosaur

Major Contributor

Peace.
Well, you could always go and report this entire thread to a Mod if you are so insulted in us posting here.
While you're at it, there are the Photography threads.
The Beer thread.
Spirit thread.
Wine thread.
Cars, watches...
*shrugs

Have a beautiful day! :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what's the deal?
So sez the Martian... without either stating his uptake of preference or revealing locational clues...;)
  • Got my hands on a Niche. I must say - what an excellent piece of engineering! Nothing extraneous, everything there is to serve a function. The internal design is fantastic too. Grind quality is excellent too.
  • Gorgeous set-up, if only you can put that Baratza grinder in the witness-protection plan and out of site.
  • 202204_CoffeeLeveler.jpg
  • Have you tried one of these "Coffee Levelers/Spreaders'? I find them quite useful but ymmv...

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I know some Baristas that love those. Others that hate them.
I think the most common concern is voiced about the tendency to begin compacting the grind before it is level. In that regard it is just treated as a convenience tool no different than leveling by finger.

What I've started to see a little more frequently around some local shops is these things:
1651257774541.jpeg

(There is another brand called normcore I think, with a similar tool that only uses three tines. Ive also seen one that has little loops at the end.)

Anyway, the story I'm hearing is that these are great for distributing the grind easily, without any settling or compression, and the help break up clumps if you have any.

I've watched. I've never seen any Barista actually use one in the shops that have them. :p

(But the theory behind it is wonderful. :) )

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
with a similar tool that only uses three tines.
I tried out a dog-brush type (6 tines) of a similar tool but I could not figure out why I would need (or use) one.
I found that it makes a mess.
While grinding, I continually rotate the basket (about 3 rotations/16gm) while banging its bottom on the two rubberized stops about 10cm from the spout.
Since we try a lot of coffee varieties, I find that I have to make micro-adjustments to the grind, most times. Such an adjustment also becomes necessary on the leveler/spreader, as with my Sonny grinder.
I don't know how the automatic grinders determine how fine to grind...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know some Baristas that love those. Others that hate them.
I think the most common concern is voiced about the tendency to begin compacting the grind before it is level. In that regard it is just treated as a convenience tool no different than leveling by finger.

What I've started to see a little more frequently around some local shops is these things:
View attachment 203410
(There is another brand called normcore I think, with a similar tool that only uses three tines. Ive also seen one that has little loops at the end.)

Anyway, the story I'm hearing is that these are great for distributing the grind easily, without any settling or compression, and the help break up clumps if you have any.

I've watched. I've never seen any Barista actually use one in the shops that have them. :p

(But the theory behind it is wonderful. :) )
There's a good reason the baristas don't use them. They're coffee focussed snake oil ;)

It really doesn’t matter how the loose grind is distributed…ones you’ve put about 3lbs per sq inch into the tamp, it’ll be even.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
There's a good reason the baristas don't use them. They're coffee focussed snake oil ;)

It really doesn’t matter how the loose grind is distributed…ones you’ve put about 3lbs per sq inch into the tamp, it’ll be even.

I bought a cheap one on Ebay to try it out - I couldn't tell the difference.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I tried out a dog-brush type (6 tines) of a similar tool but I could not figure out why I would need (or use) one.
I found that it makes a mess.
While grinding, I continually rotate the basket (about 3 rotations/16gm) while banging its bottom on the two rubberized stops about 10cm from the spout.
Since we try a lot of coffee varieties, I find that I have to make micro-adjustments to the grind, most times. Such an adjustment also becomes necessary on the leveler/spreader, as with my Sonny grinder.
I don't know how the automatic grinders determine how fine to grind...
Absolutely a must, rotating the portafilter while dosing. You can achieve a fairly even distribution with some minor mounding that does not affect shot quality.
(I actually watched a guy dose into a demitasse and then spoon the grind into the portafilter. :eek: I about jumped over the counter and throttled him!
Likewise, I adjust my grinder, too. Most Baristas need to throughout the day. It only makes sense.
Auto Grinders are evil. We had them in our shop and were instructed to use them if it was busy. In a 12 or 16oz Latte, it doesn't matter. But never in a Cortado, Cap or straight Spro. They have to be adjusted, too. The ones we used had an access panel where you could find some adjustment points that would determine grind, dose and tamp. I never played with adjusting them. Just saw our technician do it one day while I was working.
It made a great shot right then. The next day? @$$. ;)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor

This.

I always did the NSEW finger level technique. A good friend used a Stockfleth variation.

The thing is, when you have 15 people in line and you probably need to pull 20 some odd shots... You don't have time to get fancy.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you ask me it would be burgers, American style Italian food, English style roasts (only special occasions like Thanksgiving?). Naturally there is a myriad of American cuisine, but if I asked you what British food was you might say (aside from bland) fish and chips, roast dinners, toad in the hole, shepherds pie. Shall we call these national dishes?

Anyway, when did you start drinking coffee, did you start with it black and enjoy it immediately that way?
That has very much not been my experience with regional foods in the US. Where I grew up, everyone ate soft shell crabs, crabcakes, and oysters. Old Bay was the seasoning of choice. I saw very little of that in all the other places I’ve lived.

Started drinking coffee as a kid, a little milk, no sugar. By the time I hit my teen years, the milk was gone. The thing I delayed on enjoying was wine- hated the stuff until I was in my 20s.

Last edited:

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Peace.

Seriously? You end your snarky off-topic jab with "Peace?"

How passive aggressive of you.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
My first Espresso was in High school. I think like most, though, I started drinking coffee in College.

Philosophy lecture... Coffee with a nip of Brandy. *blushes

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I am more of an aggressive-passive!
Especially since I have a lever espresso machine which requires some aggressiveness with the lever when pulling shots.
I, then, pass the first machiatto to my mate.
She likes me that way, in the mornings.
I can dig it. :)
I've been known to light things on fire. Hit it. Then pass it.
:cool:

Top Bottom