• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you peeps rinse coffee grounds down the drain, put them in garbage bags or recycle them somehow? I've been told they clog the drains and to not rinse them down the drains.
I rince caffetiere grounds down the sink, have done for years and don't see how they are any different from other bits of food that go down. V60 filters with grounds go in the food recycling, as do esspreso pucks.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We give them away to local gardens. In exchange, I get in-kind bribes during tomato season.
Hehehe. I used to be the chief gardener for my mother for 15 years and of all her sons I know the value of good tomatoes...lol. :D (... and fresh zucchini.)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My Mrs. Likes her coffee extremely hot. For Christmas I bought her one of these. It works great and was the perfect gift.

Very cool. No pun intended. :D

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you peeps rinse coffee grounds down the drain, put them in garbage bags or recycle them somehow? I've been told they clog the drains and to not rinse them down the drains.
In more than small quantities and combined with larger chunks of detritus already in your ubend they can be fatal. If the bulk of the grounds go elsewhere, the odd few bits left won't trouble your plumbing.

I've learnt this from painful experience.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In more than small quantities and combined with larger chunks of detritus already in your ubend they can be fatal. If the bulk of the grounds go elsewhere, the odd few bits left won't trouble your plumbing.

I've learnt this from painful experience.
I was imagining if some grease/butter/fat mixed with the coffee grounds it could form a nasty sludge that adheres to stuff. I am grinding my coffee to powder these days so it gets pretty gooey when wet. The consequences when rinsing down the sink are so high. I think I need a dedicated coffee grinds refuse container with bags so I can just manage the coffee grinds as one unit rather than in the general refuse bag.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was imagining if some grease/butter/fat mixed with the coffee grounds it could form a nasty sludge that adheres to stuff. I am grinding my coffee to powder these days so it gets pretty gooey when wet. The consequences when rinsing down the sink are so high. I think I need a dedicated coffee grinds refuse container with bags so I can just manage the coffee grinds as one unit rather than in the general refuse bag.
Yup. Exactly that approach. We are lucky here that we get a food waste little bin that gets taken away weekly and (hopefully) composted. Espresso pucks are easy to deal with in this way(as is my aeropress Puck) but I never found a good way of dealing with cafetiere sludge. That's what crippled my plumbing combined with other crap when I sluiced the full grounds each brew.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup. Exactly that approach. We are lucky here that we get a food waste little bin that gets taken away weekly and (hopefully) composted. Espresso pucks are easy to deal with in this way(as is my aeropress Puck) but I never found a good way of dealing with cafetiere sludge. That's what crippled my plumbing combined with other crap when I sluiced the full grounds each brew.
I recently took up coffee drinking from a coffee maker. The tea is just not providing enough kick in my day. I never had a need for caffeine most days before now, never owned a coffee machine at home and so I am getting up to speed on the coffee system. Previously I used the coffee machine at work and everything was managed there so I never dealt with the coffee machine refuse. :D

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hehehe. I used to be the chief gardener for my mother for 15 years and of all her sons I know the value of good tomatoes...lol. :D (... and fresh zucchini.)
My wife always says, "There's two things money can't buy, true love and home grown tomatoes."

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Mrs. Likes her coffee extremely hot.
We are totally committed to double-wall borosilicate (w/handle) for our morning macchiato shots ('White Flat'?).
HearthGlass version (8oz/240mL) is the one the Lady of the House demands! I learned that the hard way after breaking her original one:
She insisted she did not "like" the cheezy replacement I got her. I knew she was being "subjective" but I was not about to ruin her morning, which may lead to ruining my whole day!;)
For keeping the content hot, I use these sink drain stoppers (PBA/Color free):
1647474234300.png

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Previously we had vacuum thermos mugs from Henckels TwinWorks

These can be put into the microwave. But they also break and crack easily. They are blown and then pumped down and the thermos vacuum is "held" by a plastic plug. Which also can come out or fail.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Thank you for the recommendation! I've never ever heard about him before - great that he offers a lot of exotic roasts. I hope that my budget Nespresso(specs) will be able to extract all tones of their rich flavor
Well, given that he doesn't make nespresso pods (vertuo or otherwise) you may be out of luck on that front. However an Aeropress is as easy mode as you can get for manual brewing and makes fantastic coffee.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aeropress, inverted brewing method
Can an experienced AeroPress user please provide explicit (yet succinct) instructions/steps on how to achieve espresso-nirvana using this device?
One was gifted to me many years ago. At that time of my trials with it, I was not impressed w/my results as being an "espresso" drink; but rather, more of a "coffee" brew.
Based on the satisfaction of many AeroPress aficionados in many posts in this thread, I think it would be a service to ignoramus like myself, who have not been able to pull espresso shots with the AeroPress.
10Q

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can an experienced AeroPress user please provide explicit (yet succinct) instructions/steps on how to achieve espresso-nirvana using this device?
One was gifted to me many years ago. At that time of my trials with it, I was not impressed w/my results as being an "espresso" drink; but rather, more of a "coffee" brew.
Based on the satisfaction of many AeroPress aficionados in many posts in this thread, I think it would be a service to ignoramus like myself, who have not been able to pull espresso shots with the AeroPress.
10Q
I'm not convinced you will ever get an espresso from an aeropress.

I could put more coffee in (I normally put one scoop) and less water and make a strong short brew but it's not got the pressure extraction and heat needed for actual espresso. IMO

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not convinced you will ever get an espresso from an aeropress.
Thanks Jimbob54. So, I am not missing nothing.
You could have made me feel good if you had added "you are not SO ignoramus, after all!";)
I originally started with Turkish coffee (<< there is a special process name for it that escapes me now).
One half of my career years included the dreadful 'office' brews, the other half spent lurking starbucks before work.
Finally, I realized few years ago to cut-out the middleman and start pulling my own shots the old manual way.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
10Q
There are a whole series of Hoff videos on the AP, but it's a brewed coffee maker, not an espresso machine, and needs to be used as such. It can make great coffee, allegedly, but I struggle with it, it normal makes good coffee quite easily, but great is elusive.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do think the Nespresso machines make an amazing espresso indeed. I had a $2k machine. The Nespresso is better. And so easy and clean (I recycle the little capsules). I religiously make myself a cappuccino with two espresso shot every morning - it's a sacred ritual. And I listen to relaxing classical or jazz while doing so. The other cool thing about Nespresso is the varietals. I use colombian for my cappucino (I am half colombian), but if I get Blue Mountain or other ones, it has to be just an espresso shot...

Attached a typical breakfast for me... :)

Attachments

• 91662263_10221944823148461_5822352220162621440_n.jpg
    91662263_10221944823148461_5822352220162621440_n.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 50

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I love my espresso!
Rancillio Miss Silvia (special edition)
Lelit Fred stepless doserless grinder
20 g dose, 30 sec, ~14g yield

Been drinking Ratio from LAMILL, lately. Nice beans, pulls a great shot on my machine.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
20 g dose, 30 sec, ~14g yield
woah! I never heard that (ratio) before.:oops:
dose:yield=1:2 is the starter (starting?) ratio that I am aware of.
On my LaPavoni lever machine, I do 16.5gm dose to ~35 gm yield.
(I just confirmed this 1:2 ratio answer here)
YYMV (Your Yield May Vary)

Top Bottom