• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zu Audio speaker solutions

PeterW

There are many posts on this forum thrashing Zu speakers while Audio reviews continue to praise them. I am the unfortunate owner of the soul supremes. Every once in a while I bring them out of storage and try to make them listenable diferent amplifiers,ect.. Persévérance and luck paid off. Inserting a constant directivity filter seem to work.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A constant directivity filter? Is that like a giant acoustic lens?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whatever you did to straighten those out must be quite an accomplishment.

OP
P

PeterW

Whatever you did to straighten those out must be quite an accomplishment.
Actualy, it is a very small accomplishment, they are going back deep into my the basement. These speakers are a joke Reviewers like steve gotenburg and Darko must be on the same substance. These people cost me money.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actualy, it is a very small accomplishment, they are going back deep into my the basement. These speakers are a joke Reviewers like steve gotenburg and Darko must be on the same substance. These people cost me money.
Unfortunately, audio is full of people like that.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to Darko the problem is not the speakers it's the recordings:

''Their honesty can be brutal. Play a bad recording and it’ll sound terrible, play a good recording and it’ll sound amazing.''

My experience was different, even showcase recordings sounded bad until I used a bit of EQ to drop the 1-3Khz region by a few dB. That made them a bit more palatable but still obviously badly coloured. How Darko can write what he does with a straight face is beyond me.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

''Their honesty can be brutal. Play a bad recording and it’ll sound terrible, play a good recording and it’ll sound amazing.''

My experience was different, even showcase recordings sounded bad until I used a bit of EQ to drop the 1-3Khz region by a few dB. That made them a bit more palatable but still obviously badly coloured. How Darko can write what he does with a straight face is beyond me.
Perhaps it's sheer ignorance speaking. One of the first things I learned voicing my own speakers was I could get certain tracks to sound great, at the expense of others. Eventually things progressed to where everything sounds good, some recordings being better than others.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Every once in a while I bring them out of storage and try to make them listenable diferent amplifiers,ect.
What have you tried?
I have -- ahem -- suggestions, although it would NOT be based on an ASR-approved philosophy. ;)

... these sorts of things. :cool:

OP
P

PeterW

Lame excuse, great recordings sound pretty good even on dirt cheap vintage speakers

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What have you tried?
I have -- ahem -- suggestions, although it would NOT be based on an ASR-approved philosophy. ;)

Uh oh. SET special effects to the rescue!

Are those tubes 45s?

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Uh oh. SET special effects to the rescue!

Are those tubes 45s?
2A3, although the amp will also run 45s. I can't afford 45s, though. :rolleyes:

And, hey, that's precisely why I led with the Fisher 500C* PP 7591A -- the Fisher does a very nice job of rounding off the (very) rough edges of a heritage Klipsch loudspeaker (e.g., the Cornwall, to speak from experience). I reckon it would do likewise with a Zu.

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning

That’s like blaming the telephone pole for your car accident. It, too, is brutally honest. “Taking that corner too fast in the rain?! No more car for you…”

OP
P

PeterW

What have you tried?

Yes, I have tried an expensive tube integrated amplifier on loan to me, I also tied a Hiraga pure class A amp, and various well designed class AB mosfet amps. Same awfull results. The designer of these speakers also makes a point that they are very efficient, Ok but they are also high impedence so that if you use them with a 50 Watt amp you now have a 25 watt amp, unless it's a tube amp, of course.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
2A3, although the amp will also run 45s. I can't afford 45s, though. :rolleyes:

And, hey, that's precisely why I led with the Fisher 500C* PP 7591A -- the Fisher does a very nice job of rounding off the (very) rough edges of a heritage Klipsch loudspeaker (e.g., the Cornwall, to speak from experience). I reckon it would do likewise with a Zu.
Well, maybe. Although some judicious EQ may be more effective.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well, maybe. Although some judicious EQ may be more effective.

To quote Tom Brennan, albeit a bit out of context*, the best approach to treatment for loudspeakers of the Zus' (plural possessive!) ilk is placement.
Good options include face down or in someone else's house.

:cool:

I doubt that EQ will help much, although it's certainly testable.
* Mr. Brennan would have been busting the chops of heritage Klipsch with his bon mot -- typically the LaScala, which he has likened to the familiar Sawzall out of deference to their shared properties of timbral subtlety.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To quote Tom Brennan, albeit a bit out of context*, the best approach to treatment for loudspeakers of the Zus' (plural possessive!) ilk is placement.

* Mr. Brennan would have been busting the chops of heritage Klipsch with his bon mot -- typically the LaScala, which he has likened to the familiar Sawzall out of deference to their shared properties of timbral subtlety.
I've chatted briefly with Tom. His postings got me interested in 511s, as a matter of fact. He certainly was of the opinion that the Altec approach to midrange horns was better than Klipsch.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Great Post.
The placement !!!
I love the reference to the sawzall power tool timbral subtlety

Hilarious , ROTFLMAO!1 :D :D :D :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I still haven't heard the old Klipschorns like the La Scala. From what I understand, that might help me understand people's aversion to horns.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've chatted briefly with Tom. His postings got me interested in 511s, as a matter of fact. He certainly was of the opinion that the Altec approach to midrange horns was better than Klipsch.
Tom is a wonderful fellow with lots of practical experience when it comes to hifi audio reproduction, too.
The classic Klipsch MR horns, and the cheap PA drivers they genearlly used with them, are horrible things to listen to. :(
I suspect PWK wan't being ironic when he embraced the term squawker for midrange reproducers.

I cannot tolerate screetchy loudspeakers :(
Altec did much better, as did may others. As you know, I have been using EMILAR 500 Hz horns on my 'real' loudspeakers after trying quite a few of the affordable alternatives including the 511B.

... unfortunately, none of this will help a Zu owner, except (possibly) for option creation -- but ASR folks in gerneral don't seem to be particularly interested in high sensitivity loudspeakers. Oh, well...

I still haven't heard the old Klipschorns like the La Scala. From what I understand, that might help me understand people's aversion to horns.
The LaScalas are unbalanced due to the size of the bass horn, with very little in the way of LF output. That's what makes them the hardest-to-take of the "heritage" Klipsch lot, for me.
I can absolutely tolerate the K-horns, but the best ones I've heard were so modified as to barely be K-horns any more.

The Cornwall is likely the best compromise of the whole "heritage" line, having decent (albeit bass-reflex and not horn loaded) bass reprduction. The 1974 Cornies I had were just too harsh overall, although I lived with them for a decade. Some recordings sounded very good on them; others were literally unbearable (at least in places) due to resonances in that MR horn. The current Cornwall IV might be OK -- they're ridiculously expensive, though, for what they are (and what they aren't), I'd opine.

The slightly later Klipsch Chorus ain't a bad sounding loudspeaker (FWIW).

Last edited:
Top Bottom