• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, with 23 of them in range for me without even looking at NYC-LI-Albany-Pittsburgh, I suspect someone with a checkbook could get one today. I have the checkbook, just not the desired checking account. :cool:
And those 23 are actually in inventory and not just "in-transit"? The dealer in Denver has over 20, in-transit.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And those 23 are actually in inventory and not just "in-transit"? The dealer in Denver has over 20, in-transit.
That is very good point, from experience I will add, that the dealers use the transit listing to drive business to get new orders at their vs another dealer. Every one of those cars may be spoken for the new owner who has been waiting a long time to get that vehicle. I got two separate offers from my dealer of $2000 and $2500 over my price on a 2023 Volvo V60 Recharge that I have yet to receive. I still have a chance to change my mind.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Yes, a geothermal energy source would be a big bonus. :D Like I've said before the oil and gas industry has all the trained and capable manpower to get into geothermal drilling, setting up the instrumentation and put in place satellite data up/down links for remote monitoring and drill hole management. There is a huge industry in the oil and gas operations and that goes from manufacturing heavy equipment such as drills (Which I have done.), manufacturing wheeled and tracked heavy duty service vehicles for remote operations (Which I have done.), manufacturing downhole tools (Which I have done.) and the analysis of the Earth strata for drill hole locations best suited for drilling. As well there are hundreds of thousands of out-of-service oil and gas drill holes and some of those are ready for geothermal energy extraction. :D Geothermal energy is in my opinion a huge opportunity for the oil and gas industry.

Geothermal is actually up and running south of Clear Lake, Ca. There are some issues with it, in specific the the steam you get contains a mix of hard silicates (basically fine sand) and both H2S and sulfuric (and sulfurous) acids, which create a piping problem. Stainless avoids corrosion via sulfur compounds via a surface layer of hard sulfates and oxides, of course the silicates cheerfully chew right through that as fast as it's made. There is probably a solution (maybe ceramics) to this, one that would requires some scheduled replacements. In addition, the steam provided needs to be reinjected as water into the thermal area, or it will just dry up. (This has happened in a number of places throughout the west that have former geothermal power systems in place.)

It is something that could be solved, I do think, with some incentive to actually solve it instead of drilling for more oil. (note, fracking is part of the geothermal process, as well)

A very interesting place is the rift valley that contains the Salton Sea remains. The entire area is rife with hot springs and is otherwise "pretty much abandoned", and is active enough that geophysics people (my daughter is one) have to go there routinely to check the status of the railroad lines across the area for impending hot spring formation under the tracks. The area is surprisingly "hot" until one realizes (which I now do :) ) that the rift that constitutes the Gulf of California runs all the way up to the south end of the Sierras.

And, of course, there's the whole Long Valley/Mammoth Mountain area, but one might consider that part of the earth as "a touch too twitchy to fool with", perhaps. (It's an old caldera, and it is most certainly not a dead one.)

But, yes, using the planet's own nuclear power is an option, and there's a LOT of power down there.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqu....57206&range=week&magnitude=all&settings=true is the area around the Clear Lake geothermal area, by the way.

If you're curious, look at the town and place names on google maps right where I8 runs really close to the border in California.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Geothermal is actually up and running south of Clear Lake, Ca. There are some issues with it, in specific the the steam you get contains a mix of hard silicates (basically fine sand) and both H2S and sulfuric (and sulfurous) acids, which create a piping problem. Stainless avoids corrosion via sulfur compounds via a surface layer of hard sulfates and oxides, of course the silicates cheerfully chew right through that as fast as it's made. There is probably a solution (maybe ceramics) to this, one that would requires some scheduled replacements. In addition, the steam provided needs to be reinjected as water into the thermal area, or it will just dry up. (This has happened in a number of places throughout the west that have former geothermal power systems in place.)
Carbide lined pipes might help? Lining pipes with carbide has been used for getting around abrasive stuff in oil and gas pipelines for some years. It can be used at high friction locations or if unlimited budget then the entire pipe can be lined with carbide. Combining stainless alloys with carbide might be a solution? I don't know how they deposit the carbide in the pipes but I do know that a small to medium sized operation can manage a fair amount of carbide lined pipe production so it must be practical and not rocket science.
And, of course, there's the whole Long Valley/Mammoth Mountain area, but one might consider that part of the earth as "a touch too twitchy to fool with", perhaps. (It's an old caldera, and it is most certainly not a dead one.)
I live just at the outer range of the blast zone for those nasty calderas that the USA has if one ever blows it's top sky high. Lots of broken windows and damaged infrastructure is estimated but not totally catastrophic. Don't mess with those...LoL. :D

Last edited:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using @Ron Texas ‘s source, I found 1,815 actually new, <1,000 miles, and not in-transit. 1,606 were sold in April so that equates to 33.9 days. I don’t believe that’s evidence of a problem; a lot of these are listed far above invoice. Ford also claims they had closed new orders to let them catch up and have only this week reopened new orders, so I don’t see how there can be a problem. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-mustang-mach-e-with-higher-epa-est--ran.html

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What can you do with contrary evidence? The people who went and looked came up with an entire pile of contrary evidence. Is that all some kind of conspiracy, or what?
That was uncalled for.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you want to believe?
I was curious about the Mustang inventory as an indicator of Ford’s status in the EV market. I’m a stockholder, due to the potential I saw in their F150 and Mustang EV products. And if there really was a three month inventory, I wanted to try for a test drive for some first hand experience. I was just fishing for verifiable information.

Newman

Major Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another anecdote. Where I live they show one Mustang Emach in transit. 3 used ones. They show one electric F150 in transit. No new ones in stock. Oh and the used ones are priced well above MSRP.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another anecdote. Where I live they show one Mustang Emach in transit. 3 used ones. They show one electric F150 in transit. No new ones in stock. Oh and the used ones are priced well above MSRP.
That's why some people call dealerships stealerships.

If people have anecdotes that don't match an article I found which is based on a professionally prepared database that doesn't bother me. Some of the other behavior around here is unacceptable.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I swore off commenting on this thread. But ...

Ford just reopened orders for the Mach-E this week. They had stopped taking orders because of high demand. I suppose that's completely uncorrelated with all the anecdotes about limited inventories.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
You are not confused. Nice find.
He appears to be confused about quoting out of context.

An anecdote is not "data". Repeated contrary evidence is just that. The suspension of orders because of backlog, reported by the manufacturer, does seem rather conclusive.

Last edited:

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Carbide lined pipes might help? Lining pipes with carbide has been used for getting around abrasive stuff in oil and gas pipelines for some years. It can be used at high friction locations or if unlimited budget then the entire pipe can be lined with carbide. Combining stainless alloys with carbide might be a solution? I don't know how they deposit the carbide in the pipes but I do know that a small to medium sized operation can manage a fair amount of carbide lined pipe production so it must be practical and not rocket science.

That would seem to be quite a decent solution, probably requiring regular replacement or recoating, but it does sound like it's a tested solution that is at least possible.

This is a bit out of my own expertise, needless to say. I did talk to some folks in the field, who were somewhat discouraged that they were basically being shunted aside by "more coal" and "natural gas" proponents. This was somewhere between 1996 and 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom