• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Own Utility Poll?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A private pole and transformer...and vinyl. There is no logic when you're capable of hearing whatever you imagine.

Tim

TBone

Major Contributor
You may have already seen this elsewhere but I thought I'd put it up here.

not read about it, and still haven't ... since I don't subscribe or want to sign-in to the WSJ in order to read the full story.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Updated my original post with another link since the video seems no longer viewable if not a sub. Sorry bout that, I guess they only allow viewing to outsiders for a set period of time after publication? You would have found it quite humorous though. :D

Last edited:

TBone

Major Contributor
as far as I'm concerned, move the transformer as far away as possible ... many moons ago I had a sometimes annoyingly buzzing neighborhood transformer (on pole just outside my property) thankfully replaced. The noise floor in and around my house went down substantially.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
as far as I'm concerned, move the transformer as far away as possible ... many moons ago I had a sometimes annoyingly buzzing neighborhood transformer (on pole just outside my property) thankfully replaced. The noise floor in and around my house went down substantially.
I've seen a couple like that in the allies of Chicago. Usually just before they blew up like a thermonuclear explosion. :eek:

TBone

Major Contributor
Our local Hydro company doesn't waste any time replacing risks. One time, I called the city because a tree (on my property, but city owned) showed a big crack mid winter. It was a huge and very old Linden tree ...
bare-linden-tree-white-30794915.jpg

I was worried it was about to crack a big branch and crush either my boat or vehicle underneath.

I phoned in the morning before work, by the time I got home after, it was down ...

I still miss that tree.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In Japan, there is no zoning laws (or it seems). Apartments are crammed next to businesses. And infrastructure often looks like it is third world. Here is a random image I found online just now:

Apartment-in-Nishiazabu-SALHAUS-Small-Apartments-Japan-Exterior-Humble-Homes.jpg

And close up of some of these messy wiring poles:

18mi040cu5fgpjpg.jpg

There are window air and split system air conditioners sticking out of just about every wall.

impressions+6.jpg

The above image is *very* typical of most of Japan (not the fancy new building in the first image).

Given all of this, I can appreciate someone wanting dedicated power over there that is not shared.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
In Japan, there is no zoning laws (or it seems).

Or so it seems.

I worked for NEC for a long time, in telco/carrier switching. Japanese don't do anything without a plan.

So I looked. Here's something:

upload_2016-8-20_3-19-37.png

Residential is permitted in 10 and probably 11 of the 12 zones. The Quasi-Industrial Zone neither mentions nor prohibits residential.

No residential is allowed in the Exclusively Industrial Zone.

MtnHam

How do you measure the difference? A blind A/B test?

Fortunately, I have had my own pole and transformer for the last 25 years, and am located on 40 acres, the last customer at the end of the grid, over a mile from the nearest neighbor and over 40 miles from any significant industry. My power is very quiet and steady. I have 3 dedicated 20 amp lines for my system, and a major investment in Shunyata gear to make sure noise from devices within my home is minimized. Fellow audiophiles who have visited have commented on the extremely low noise level.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Fortunately, I have had my own pole and transformer for the last 25 years, and am located on 40 acres, the last customer at the end of the grid, over a mile from the nearest neighbor and over 40 miles from any significant industry. My power is very quiet and steady. I have 3 dedicated 20 amp lines for my system, and a major investment in Shunyata gear to make sure noise from devices within my home is minimized. Fellow audiophiles who have visited have commented on the extremely low noise level.
Ah blissful, rewarding isolation :)

Speedskater

Major Contributor
With a sensitive battery powered AC voltmeter and a battery powered high frequency O-scope.
You measure at the power amplifier's speaker terminals.
It takes some engineering diligence to assure that all setting & levels remain the same during both tests.

Top Bottom