• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

Skeptical_Aus

I have had a Wiim Pro now for a few days and I'm impressed enough to sell my Auralic Aries G1 and pocket $2500 AUD. In fact I think it sounds better, and the app is sensational. Wiim have to be the best value for money audio for 2024!

I'm outputting bit perfect coax into a Topping D90, from where the RCA out goes to a tube amp, while the XLR goes to a Topping A90 which I use in preamp mode with RCA out to send a signal to a SVS SB1000 pro sub. My speakers are klipsch Heresy IV.

Yes I know the amp and speakers both degrade the signal, but they get corrected by my brain...until I replace them one day.

I'm not impressed by wealthy fools who insist that you have to spend tens of thousands on gear to achieve stunning performance. Thanks ASR, now I can pay out my car loan!

Tremolo

I got an update to firmware 4.8.616634 that showed a pop up of release notes with 10 bands peq but I still have just 4 bands. Maybe the problem is the android app?

rusnak666

I got an update to firmware 4.8.616634 that showed a pop up of release notes with 10 bands peq but I still have just 4 bands. Maybe the problem is the android app?
Same for me, android app version is 2.9.6.240507

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 10 band is still in beta, have you applied for the beta firmware?

JimmyMac

It will be available when the app is updated. They didn't say exactly when the app will be updated, but probably this week.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
10 band PEQ now available outside beta, yay!

...whenever they update the Android app, that is.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...and now the Android app supporting 10-band PEQ is available too. Happy PEQ'ing to everyone! :)

Pritaudio

Has the optical input on the Wiim pro been fixed with latency issues. Needs to be in time for connecting the tv with lip sync and all that.
Also, anyone have the occasional crackling sound on the toslink too.
I don’t think a shorter optical cable will entirely fix this here.

Tremolo

Has the optical input on the Wiim pro been fixed with latency issues. Needs to be in time for connecting the tv with lip sync and all that.
Also, anyone have the occasional crackling sound on the toslink too.
I don’t think a shorter optical cable will entirely fix this here.
I have my tv connected to the Wiim pro via toslink and I have never had any issue nor lip sync problems

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor

Completed Features Since Last Update (Feb. 10th, 2024)

• Per-Source EQ: Allows you to set independent EQ for each source input
  • Enhanced Pandora Service
  • 10-Band PEQ

Upcoming Features

• Separate 10-Band PEQ for the Left and Right Channel (6/15)
  • DLNA Cast: Cast to other 3rd DLNA devices (Similar to AirPlay Cast but offering lossless audio) (6/15)
  • Room Correction (6/15)
  • Persistent Group for Multiple Devices (6/15)
  • Smart Buttons: Customize the four preset buttons on the remote (6/30)
  • Support Landscape Mode on the Android Tablets (5/30)
  • Support SMB for Music Sharing and Streaming (6/30)
  • Separate Favorite Tab: List your favorite tracks, playlists, stations, podcasts, and recently played items (6/30)
  • Group Devices or Move Playback in "Now Playing" UI (7/15)

Features We're Actively Working on:

• Support App Widgets on iOS and Android
  • Native Plex integration
  • Enhanced 'Play Queue' Management
  • KKBox integration
  • Enhanced Internet Radio
  • Maintain context when switching source input

Features We're Thinking About In Future Updates

• Multiroom of Hi-Res audio
  • New Music Services: Including YouTube Music, Idagio, SiriusXM, Nugs.net, RadioParadise, etc.
  • Play Music From Personal Cloud Storage: Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc.
  • Selectable Streaming Quality in the "Now Play" App UI
  • Improved NAS and DLNA DMS Features

Overseas

Major Contributor
Got the 10 band PEQ update today.

Why? Cause I am dumb, as some my colleagues on ASR can certify (dumb enough to bi-wire Yamaha AS1100 that has the bi-wire marking on front knobs to Focal speakers that have 2 pair of sockets especially for bi-wire, also as described in both manuals).

Wojciech Berd

Hello. Do You think I can use it with my genelec 8330a speakers to feed them with Digital signal? My idea is to use coaxial out form wiim(or eversolo a6) and xlr aes/ebu in genelec. I was taled that on short distance it should work with no problems. I saw cabels like coax/xlr but with 89ohm instead 110ohm like in aes/ebu xlr. Does it matter? What is Your recommendation? I need it for streaming music through wifi in the hotels and watching Netflix.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hello. Do You think I can use it with my genelec 8330a speakers to feed them with Digital signal? My idea is to use coaxial out form wiim(or eversolo a6) and xlr aes/ebu in genelec. I was taled that on short distance it should work with no problems. I saw cabels like coax/xlr but with 89ohm instead 110ohm like in aes/ebu xlr. Does it matter? What is Your recommendation? I need it for streaming music through wifi in the hotels and watching Netflix.
Hi @Wojciech Berd! Welcome to ASR.

Over short distances, a simple Coax->AES3 cable should work just fine, despite the weaker signal level and slight mismatch in characteristic impedance.
In any case, you cannot cause damage, as long as cable is constructed properly.

If you do get a poor signal with stutter and dropouts, then you can try Neutrik's impedance adapter which fixes the mismatch.

Wojciech Berd

Hi @Wojciech Berd! Welcome to ASR.

Over short distances, a simple Coax->AES3 cable should work just fine, despite the weaker signal level and slight mismatch in characteristic impedance.
In any case, you cannot cause damage, as long as cable is constructed properly.

If you do get a poor signal with stutter and dropouts, then you can try Neutrik's impedance adapter which fixes the mismatch.
Thanks so much.

Top Bottom