• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which upgrade path to take?

What to upgrade?

• Change my KEF R3 Meta with a pair of tower speakers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Add 2 more SVS SB-1000pro subwoofers

• Change my 2 SVS SB-1000pro with 2 bigger ones

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Sell all my gear(except the subs) and by a pair of active speakers

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Change one or more of my devices(dac, power amp, preamp)

• Nothing(given my usage scenario)

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Other(say what in the coments)

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This system is giving me the best sound I ever had in my life.

You say room correction is not an option. If you are just wanting to try something different, maybe consider adding an equalizer, headphone amp and a good set of headphones.

Also, think about adding a good dedicated streamer instead of using your computer as a source.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The hobby should be listening to music not shopping (imo).

You have a high quality setup so you're done.

Maybe a really nice chair to sit in while you listen if you're adamant on spending money

The hobby of gear as opposed to music is somewhat different. I agree that many concentrate much more on the consumerism that is mostly audio gear these days rather than just enjoying the content able to be played back....and a good seat is often a much better choice than a different dac/amp

Last edited:

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
The hobby of gear as opposed to music is somewhat different. I agree that many concentrate much more on the consumerism that is mostly audio these days rather than just enjoying the content able to be played back....and a good seat is often a much better choice than a different dac/amp

Now you've done it. ;)

We are going to start seeing subjective reviews of "audiophile" listening chairs that magically improve sound like this (credit to Bing's AI):

The Sonata Serenity Audiophile Chair: A Symphony for the Senses

Nestled in the heart of every music lover’s sanctuary, the Sonata Serenity Audiophile Chair stands as a testament to the art of listening. Crafted with the precision of a master luthier, this chair is not merely a seat but a vessel for auditory transcendence.

The Embrace of Elegance As you sink into the supple embrace of its Italian leather, you are enveloped in a cocoon of comfort that whispers promises of endless hours of aural pleasure. The ergonomically designed contours align with your body’s natural posture, ensuring that every note is experienced in its purest form.

The Conductor of Clarity With its patented resonance-dampening technology, the Sonata Serenity transforms the mundane act of sitting into an act of sonic purification. It absorbs the discordant vibrations that dare to tarnish your soundstage, allowing only the clearest tones to reach your ears.

The Maestro of Immersion Positioned at the perfect angle, this chair orchestrates an immersive experience that places you at the conductor’s podium of your own private concert hall. The strategically placed headrest aligns your ears with the sweet spot of your high-fidelity speakers, ensuring that every symphony is as the composer intended.

The Harmony of Aesthetics and Acoustics Beyond its acoustic benefits, the Sonata Serenity is a masterpiece of design. Its sleek lines and minimalist aesthetic complement the most sophisticated of listening rooms, standing as a beacon of taste for all who enter.

In the Sonata Serenity Audiophile Chair, every listening session becomes a grand performance, a private recital where the music envelops you, and the world fades away. This is not just a chair; it is the throne upon which the audiophile reigns supreme.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now you've done it. ;)

We are going to start seeing subjective reviews of "audiophile" listening chairs that magically improve sound like this (credit to Bing's AI):

Nestled in the heart of every music lover’s sanctuary, the Sonata Serenity Audiophile Chair stands as a testament to the art of listening. Crafted with the precision of a master luthier, this chair is not merely a seat but a vessel for auditory transcendence.

The Embrace of Elegance As you sink into the supple embrace of its Italian leather, you are enveloped in a cocoon of comfort that whispers promises of endless hours of aural pleasure. The ergonomically designed contours align with your body’s natural posture, ensuring that every note is experienced in its purest form.

The Conductor of Clarity With its patented resonance-dampening technology, the Sonata Serenity transforms the mundane act of sitting into an act of sonic purification. It absorbs the discordant vibrations that dare to tarnish your soundstage, allowing only the clearest tones to reach your ears.

The Maestro of Immersion Positioned at the perfect angle, this chair orchestrates an immersive experience that places you at the conductor’s podium of your own private concert hall. The strategically placed headrest aligns your ears with the sweet spot of your high-fidelity speakers, ensuring that every symphony is as the composer intended.

The Harmony of Aesthetics and Acoustics Beyond its acoustic benefits, the Sonata Serenity is a masterpiece of design. Its sleek lines and minimalist aesthetic complement the most sophisticated of listening rooms, standing as a beacon of taste for all who enter.

In the Sonata Serenity Audiophile Chair, every listening session becomes a grand performance, a private recital where the music envelops you, and the world fades away. This is not just a chair; it is the throne upon which the audiophile reigns supreme.
LOL was thinking more of the shape/height of the chair back but....a clamshell seat with built-in speakers is always a good idea I think, and possibly more comfortable than using headphones/iems

Now you've done it. ;)

I was thinking so last century with a chair. "A vessel" is the solution here

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
egg.jpeg

Selkirks

I voted "Other". That room is going to be a challenge. I wouldn't could see doing 15" subs, maybe like the HSU VTF-3 MK5. I always thought the Velodyne 15" servo stuff was good. I currently run a single 12", so that has always been more than enough for me. So the problem may be that you feel you can't get your SPL level high enough for those particular speakers, or that you really want more mid-bass. You might consider going to a 4-driver tower speaker, and driving at a higher wattage.

If it were me, I would just try a different arrangement for where the listening area sits in the room.

I voted other due to room being the best upgrade. Many hobbyists have no idea how much better the sound can get in-room once they start taking the acoustic environment seriously. Dealing with the room is also the best bang-for-the-buck option.

JeremyFife

I'll add to the consensus: your equipment is already very good.

Sorry, but you probably need to accept that your next step is DSP and room treatment. I appreciate that you don't want to invest in room treatment, but you will have to get to grips with measuring your room and applying DSP.
Buying new equipment and adding it to an unadjusted room is simply wasting money.
If you don't measure, then you don't know what the problems with your sound are and you just cannot fix them. It is quite possible that your sound is fine, and you suffer from 'upgraditis'.

Take a deep breath, measure, get help here on what the measurements mean, learn to measure better ... take it from there :)

JiiPee

So you use that wine allowance daily?
According to my scientific (but subjective ) long term testing, one bottle per week allocated for two listening sessions (1/2 bottle each) is the sweet spot in my case.

OP
K

kolestonin

Thank you all.

A hobby is more a special interest than needs covering for me.

I knew my need for good music is fully covered, and I was suspecting the time to move on a new special interest(while enjoying my music) or try again(as you confirmed) my DSP chances has come.

The special interest in this case is constantly improving the sound quality. And by that statement I am already in the audiofoolery zone, as this improvement when using the same equipment in the same room is most likely limited for all of us. But it is also something that cannot be absolutely measured or quantified. A pc hardware enthusiast will upgrade his graphics card(paying a lot of cash for a non-justified 10% performance gain), but right after he will run a benchmark and measure this gain. A petrol head will make an engine tuning so to have 10 more hp, and he will also be able to measure this gain. An audiophile(sorry) cannot have this instant endorphin boost so he is condemned to eternally chase the unreachable.

You need to know I have a umik-1, I tried REW, MSO, EQ APO, miniDsp Flex(with no Dirac license), Dirac live(software version). And passed quite a lot of time in reading and trying things. Cause this route is feeding my special interest in the best of the ways, while giving me the pleasure of taking the maximum from my already paid equipment. But it seems I am losing my motivation without a well defined measured progress of my efforts. And the whole thing ends up not being fan anymore. I can accept that and move on, or experiment with other things and eventually re-try in the future.

Two questions from my side:

a) Is there something a streamer can offer me, given I use my pc for everything so it’s on all the time?

b) I plan to cover the two glass tiled doors with felt fabric as removing them is not an option.
Find the first reflection points(see red circles on photo) and place some basic and on the cheap side sound absorption panels(I attach random photos) could be something I should investigate? I would even be interested in investing some more but I am afraid the chances of using the sound treatment material in my new(unknown yet) place are not high.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 43

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An audiophile(sorry) cannot have this instant endorphin boost so he is condemned to eternally chase the unreachable.

That's what REW is for.

a) Is there something a streamer can offer me, given I use my pc for everything so it’s on all the time?

No. Maybe a WiiM which only gives you a few PEQ settings so you're not overwhelmed with REW.

I plan to cover the two glass tiled doors with felt fabric as removing them is not an option.

That could potentially help but measurements can help confirm. The room looks to be good sized, nice carpet and other absorption in the near field. Do you have some of the REW measurements you can share with us?

I personally don't think a streamer can offer you anything a pc can't especially if its on all the time anyway.

A CD player/transport or Bandcamp could though (or a turntable if you really want to complicate your life) as there is so much great stuff not available on streaming.

OP
K

kolestonin

@DWPress
Most items in the room have been chosen with sound in my mind.
Double curtains with one being a thick thermal one, thick carpets, wooden furniture, a lot of paintings in the walls.

As for measurements you can see from here and below.

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you could share the .mdat file it would be more helpful.

er|κzvio1in

the low hanging fruit is definitely DSP to apply time alignment with the subs, set cross overs and apply some PEQs to tone down room resonances. This is not rocket science! And your SVS subs have it built in.

DMill

Forum Donor
Then I will have an end game system? With two entry level subs and two bookshelf speakers
For many people you would have an end game system with room correction. The Kef R3 is very highly regarded as are the SVS subs. Objectively speaking your system would be nearly flawless. Could you spend a lot more money? Of course, and you might have some nicer features or the system might be more impressive looking. But any differences you’d hear would most likely be preference vs. being “better”. Or perhaps playing louder if you listen at the extremely high volume.

Top Bottom