• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speakers to buy

• Thread starter Deleted member 69358
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 69358

My kid has a small room and am looking for speakers that have a small footprint and no need for speaker stands.

The speakers will be run from a Fosi amp about 40wpc and basically play vinyl from an Audio Technica turntable. She is not big into music so not even sure if it is worth doing. I would like to at least introduce her to something a bit better than her kiddie LG Shelf system.

Contenders, looking for under $200

Magnat Monitor Supreme 1002 - $99 each
Jamo S 809 (comes with center channel not needed.) - $219 pair
Dayton Audio T652 - $149 pair
Monolith by Monoprice Audition T4 - $99 each

Specs on the Magnat Monitor Supreme 1002 look best, down to 19hz and 92db sensitivity but I have never heard of these.
Jamos seem to be hit or miss
Dayton Audio and Monolith do not seem to go much below 50hz and are low sensitivity.

OTOH, a pair of Dayton Audio B652 is only $49 but only go down to 70hz and have 87db sensitivity and maybe I can build a set of speaker stands. The Daytons seem to be no better than the Infinity satellites from, my old HTIB set.

For used, I have a seller locally with a pair of Bose 201 IV @ $65 and a set of Infinity Reference 2000.1 @ $50

What should I do?

Beave

Major Contributor
Where are you located?

For an entry-level system, and a small room, I would look at good used bookshelf speakers, or bookshelf speakers on a closeout sale. Big cheap towers tend to be very cheaply made.

tmuikku

Yeah, if one counts in any profits for the whole supply chain, the parts and labor for a 100$ speaker cannot cost more than a pack of cigarettes, so the "quality" is quite poor by definition, everything in them is penny pinched to max. Thus, I would buy which ever looks best to you, or if you can audition try to avoid really nasty sounding ones. Used market might provide nicer audio with similar money, but it's also partly luck if any suitable happen to be on sale near your location.

edit. googled some of them. These are on 50% discount

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
My kid has a small room and am looking for speakers that have a small footprint and no need for speaker stands.

The speakers will be run from a Fosi amp about 40wpc and basically play vinyl from an Audio Technica turntable. She is not big into music so not even sure if it is worth doing. I would like to at least introduce her to something a bit better than her kiddie LG Shelf system.

Specs on the Magnat Monitor Supreme 1002 look best, down to 19hz and 92db sensitivity but I have never heard of these.
Dayton Audio and Monolith do not seem to go much below 50hz and are low sensitivity.

OTOH, a pair of Dayton Audio B652 is only $49 but only go down to 70hz and have 87db sensitivity and maybe I can build a set of speaker stands. The Daytons seem to be no better than the Infinity satellites from, my old HTIB set.

For used, I have a seller locally with a pair of Bose 201 IV @ $65 and a set of Infinity Reference 2000.1 @ $50

What should I do?

As noted earlier, inexpensive tower speakers can cut corners that are not seen but can be measured. Consider continuing to search for a used pair of floor-standing loudspeakers. Amir found the Polk T50 tower loudspeaker to be performant. Woot ! is currently selling the Polk T50 for $129.99 each

OP
D

Deleted member 69358

Yeah, if one counts in any profits for the whole supply chain, the parts and labor for a 100$ speaker cannot cost more than a pack of cigarettes, so the "quality" is quite poor by definition, everything in them is penny pinched to max. Thus, I would buy which ever looks best to you, or if you can audition try to avoid really nasty sounding ones. Used market might provide nicer audio with similar money, but it's also partly luck if any suitable happen to be on sale near your location.

edit. googled some of them. These are on 50% discount

For each $1 in profit in China, a US company has to make $10. So that $7 cost of components is like $70 USD

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 69358

As noted earlier, inexpensive tower speakers can cut corners that are not seen but can be measured. Consider continuing to search for a used pair of floor-standing loudspeakers. Amir found the Polk T50 tower loudspeaker to be performant. Woot ! is currently selling the Polk T50 for $129.99 each

I got my JBL A170s for $99 each on clearance, if could get that deal again, I would in a heartbeat.

Has anyone ever paid $399 each for the Jamo Studio 8 S 809? Just not believable that you can get a pair + center for $219 at Adorama though the slickdeals link that seems to be a persistent price. Klipsch and Jamo seem to do this super high MSRP and then super low package priced deals.

The Magnat Monitor Supreme 1002 seem to be on liquidation so the $279 MSRP seems legit, but unlike more popular brands, professional reviews seem to not exist. Supposedly super popular in Germany, but worried these are more like white van speakers. I am gravitating towards these. Just wish I could know more about the brand.

I will never buy anything brand name at Amazon/Woot, they commingle inventory and so tired of getting counterfeit crap. Even when not counterfeit, nearly everything they ship that is sold as new to me is either used or a customer return. I have literally made several dozen complaints to various government agencies about Amazon selling used and customer returns as new. They do nothing to Amazon, but if my small business did it, they would sue, fine and bankrupt me and probably jail me if the product was counterfeit.

coonmanx

Great speakers with the Philips tweeter. I listen to them quite a bit. Small enough size. Very good sounding... So good that I thought about getting a second pair, even though I have no use for more speakers...

jooc

What should I do?

Sony SSCS5, $125 or so shipped.

djb

For $100 I really like the Neumi BS5. They look nice too. I greatly prefer them to the beloved Sony CS5.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

Deleted member 69358

At that price is likely more expensive to ship them back than to keep them!

Don't know why they were so cheap on newegg.com, seller was Monoprice. Will see on Wednesday.

Top Bottom