• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Your Favorite Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

I am not affiliated with any brands of cables, audio, etc. As for Mapleshade I have had a GREAT experience with the company. When I wanted to order speaker stands Pierre Sprey, the owner said I should try a LOWER priced stand instead (the bedrock stands). This guy sold me a lower priced product because it was the right thing to do, great guy. If I didn't like his stands, his cables, even the CD's from his record studio you just refund them. NP.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice a new troll on cables :)

I recently purchased a RME ADI 6432 that gives me 64 AES channels ins and out. I have a fair amount of microphone cables that works as microphone cables but failed to carry the AES signal.

My question is: which one are supposed to work?
AES requires a cable with 110 Ohm impedance (at radio frequencies). I don't think that all microphone cables adhere to this requirement. On the other hand a 110 Ohm cable can also be used for analog signals, but I'm not sure whether all of them are suited for microphone level signals.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I DIY my interconnects:
  • RG58 or RG59 for unbalanced analog
  • RG59 for SPDIF coax
  • Klotz or similar (whatever the local produce shop sells) for balanced analog
  • Neutrik connectors
For power cables I use what the unit came with, or a longer one from said pro shop.

No more speaker cables, it's all active here.

OP
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

I DIY my interconnects:
  • RG58 or RG59 for unbalanced analog
  • RG59 for SPDIF coax
  • Klotz or similar (whatever the local produce shop sells) for balanced analog
  • Neutrik connectors
For power cables I use what the unit came with, or a longer one from said pro shop.

No more speaker cables, it's all active here.

I am nearly all active too, 15.1 immersive HT with active speakers.

As for connectors I tried Viborg shopping on Amazon and WOW, very nice:

http://viborgaudio.com/en/Product/

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Maybe it depends if you think you already have TOTL or if there is an 'upgrade path'.
It would not be the least surprised if this was so.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Your woofers wont boom like that annoying purple Honda CRX that we always seem to get stuck next to at stoplights.

The purple CRX sure looks cooler and more fun than the cables, though.

hondacrxfullbodykitpurple.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mansr

Major Contributor
Someone by that name got banned from Audiophool Stool back when that place was somewhat sane.

Katji

Major Contributor
their Clearview Golden Helix speakers cables
:) The helix again. How original. ...ok, since 2000, maybe they were the originators. LOL!

Not to mention these are ugly as hell:
:oops: Wth is going on with that green wire?!

Is it a joke? i mean if you actually want to sell speaker cables to audiophiles, surely you have the sense to use braided sheath and...... :oops: ...Even the story is weird. Pink Floyd, and the heartbeat? Honda CRX?

The best thing about that cable /wire/ is the end. Classic, old school. When it becomes oxidised, you just cut off 1cm and when you tighten the screw, there is no question of contact points of banana plugs. :) When the copper wire is squashed then you know.

1608412136526.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom