• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Your Favorite Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

I tested their digital coax and their XLR, I left it in my system for most of the 30 day audition period and it was no difference I could tell so returned them.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You don't do DIY near your system while listening? ;) I agree that the test is silly. And my understanding is that interference is unlikely to be an issue in a home setting. I just wanted something at a reasonable price, with decent build quality (and that could be shipped here). It's plausible there's some differentiation between manufacturers on build quality.

Right.

Which is why the test is goofy AF.

I'm sure the cables are fine.

But as a piece technical marketing or product demo.....:facepalm:

It's so gimmicky it actually makes me suspicious of the company.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't do DIY near your system while listening? ;) I agree that the test is silly. And my understanding is that interference is unlikely to be an issue in a home setting. I just wanted something at a reasonable price, with decent build quality (and that could be shipped here). It's plausible there's some differentiation between manufacturers on build quality.
They are priced well with good connectors. Obviously they don't have a problem with noise rejection from an extreme and unrealistic test.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've neither heard the difference between wires, not am I aware of any reason they might make an audible difference, but looking at the vipers' orgy behind my equipment, I do wish there were a manufacturer who made 150 mm coax with phono connectors. Oh, and in an array of colours for easy tracing from point to point (I know this can be remedied with ultra-basic skills, but poor fine motor skills can make even simple tasks quite vexing).

You can buy many different lengths of Canare cables in many different colors from Martertek. Look for Sescom cables.

Martin

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you guys want to talk cables for real, you should talk about where it really matters:

Phono cables

My neighborhood thrift store has taken in a lot of donations of analog a/v cables, and the designated video cables (RG58?) generally have thin center conductors, foamed dielectric and full foil shielding, and weigh in at around 70 pF/M: Not too bad for for $5 considering that connectors are already installed. I liked how the stock cables were thin and flexible, but capacitance was a mediocre 120 pF for the same length.

Rock Rabbit

Nice a new troll on cables :)

I recently purchased a RME ADI 6432 that gives me 64 AES channels ins and out. I have a fair amount of microphone cables that works as microphone cables but failed to carry the AES signal.

My question is: which one are supposed to work?

I have dirt cheap one from Thomann that are failing. Normal pro cables from Cordial are all working.
https://m.thomannmusic.com/sommer_cable_peacock_aes_ebu_black.htm
...but almost any mic cable could work...at least up to 30 feets

Robin L

Master Contributor
My neighborhood thrift store has taken in a lot of donations of analog a/v cables, and the designated video cables (RG58?) generally have thin center conductors, foamed dielectric and full foil shielding, and weigh in at around 70 pF/M: Not too bad for for $5 considering that connectors are already installed. I liked how the stock cables were thin and flexible, but capacitance was a mediocre 120 pF for the same length.
I got a lot of low-end Monster interconnect from Amvets in Fresno, usually around $5, with a lot in lengths greater than two meters. Useful for the multiple subwoofers in the garage for the 5.1 system purchased at Amvets.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are the categories?

I've had excellent results with this USB cable from Lightspeed ($1999).

View attachment 100255

The lifters shown in the image come at an additional cost from the company, but I've found they make a subtle but noticeable difference.

This is of course for connecting my dot matrix printer to my PC:

View attachment 100256

You might ask why I'm using a dot matrix in the first place. Well, I find that it generates smoother, more analogue-like print-outs than the various (very expensive in fact) inkjets and laser that I've had through the system.

With the Lightspeed cable feeding the printer via a USB to printer port adapter, I feel that my print-outs have all the resolution and detail of a high-dpi modern laser, but with the warmth and richness that only dot-matrix printing can provide. And ofc, the print-outs are completely free of "laser glare".

The only remaining bottleneck in this setup is the USB-printer port converter cable, which is necessary given my PC doesn't have a printer out. I've experimented with a number of adapters purchased off AliExpress, and the differences in print quality are actually quite significant. The best I've found so far is this one, although it won't ship directly to Europe. If you want details of the freight forwarding service I used from Japan, send me a PM.

View attachment 100257

Thanks! Finally another person who hears the very same things that I hear! Finally!

OP
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

From my recent reading on this topic (some of it on ASR), Audioblast and Benchmark seem to produce reasonably-priced, high quality XLR cables. I went with Audioblast simply because Benchmark were sold out when I was ordering.
I like the Audioblast "value proposition", seems worth a try. I need some IC's for my desktop system and will try a pair, thanks for posting!
They do speaker cables too:

https://www.amazon.com/Audioblast-H...ords=AUDIOBLAST+CABLES&qid=1608400529&sr=8-19

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL thanks for the laugh @witchdoctor, those buying from the cable charlatans are connoisseurs.....snorted my coffee out my nose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom