• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volume Matching JND

John Kenny

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know the "received wisdom" is that blind tests require volume matching to within 0.1dB for a valid test otherwise the "louder" device/track will be perceived as of better quality & not perceived as louder. My question is where are the blind test results which support this claim? Are there any blind test results with music as the signal (this is what we are talking about in most blind testing) that show level differences > 0.1dB are perceived differentially?

Now in my researching this topic I came across this Audioholics article which seems quite sensible in it's approach & does as survey of the research papers on the topic

In it a chart of research results over 60 years is given & the lowest JND is 0.25dB F.E. Toole and S. Olive, "The Modification of Timbre by Resonances: Perception and Measurements", JAES vol 36, # 3, March 1988, pp 122-142

The author states "Toole and Olive, on the other hand, in their 1988 study used pink noise for their acoustic signal source and determined that a 5 kHz resonance, with Q = 1 was just detectable at .25 dB." But later "The .25 dB figure quoted from the Toole & Olive research seems to contradict this (his JND of 0.75dB or 1dB), but consider the filter Q = 1. That's a pretty broad chunk of the audible spectrum over which that resonance exists. With the ear-brain combo performing an integration across that broad a portion of the audible spectrum than its easy to see how a large amount of acoustical energy is captured, leaving a change that small noticeable. However, pink noise is not real world and one thing my research has shown is that the hearing process reacts very differently to different types of sound; a .25 dB detectable difference using real music just isn't plausible and the research supports that."

He goes on to state "In this particular article, I settled on a minimum discernable difference dB value of .75 - 1.0. My experience has shown that this is what the average listener, under average listening conditions, listening to music played back through typical consumer-grade audio gear will be able to clearly identify - and do so repeatedly."

Now loudness is a psychoacoustic phenomena i.e intensity + auditory processing -> perception of loudness so some factors relating to this. The frequency filterbank (ERBs) that we split the sound into & analyse over is instrumental in how we perceive loudness. In other words, a single tone whose frequency falls into one filterbank, will be perceived as quieter than a wider band signal that spans more than one frequency filterbank, given that both are the same intensity (dB).

A consequence of this is that we are more sensitive to broadband noise intensity than to single tones & hence there is a curve of noise sensitivity called ITU-R 468 which defines our sensitivity to noise intensity & it is different to the Fletcher-Munson curves. here's the comparison which shows that we are more sensitive to noise @ 6KHz frequency than to a single tone at this frequency by > 12dB as can be seen here:
400px-Lindos3.svg.png

So, my questions again
- what evidence do we have that intensity mismatches of > 0.1dB will be perceived as quality issues with music signal
- what is the JND for amplitude differences with music signal?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a good topic :).

I will post more but the question should not be if there is a quality difference. But rather, any difference at all. If there is a difference, testers will attempt to use that to identify the clip as to "win the competition." So the threshold should be detectability in my opinion.

That said, it would also be interesting to identify at one volume differential fidelity preferences kick in.

OP
J

John Kenny

This is a good topic :).

I will post more but the question should not be if there is a quality difference. But rather, any difference at all.
Right, but that is the claim I see - "the higher amplitude will be perceived as better quality" - I haven't seen it stated that the "the higher volume will be perceived as louder"
If there is a difference, testers will attempt to use that to identify the clip as to "win the competition." So the threshold should be detectability in my opinion.
Yes, I'm not restricting it to a metric of "quality differentiation" - that's just the way I've seen it framed

That said, it would also be interesting to identify at one volume differential fidelity preferences kick in.
Right

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I should have been more clear. If you are running an ABX test the job is simple identification. Any volume difference there allows that identification whether there is quality difference or not. This is why level matching is stressed so much in forced choice tests like this.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
...level matching is stressed so much in forced choice...

If there are differences in frequency response, how are levels matched?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If there are differences in frequency response, how are levels matched?
It is a problem. I have to find an AES paper where they did some listening tests to determine what is most important to match when the responses vary. In general, such matching then is only good for preference, not detectability.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Caveat: not my area of expertise.

Our perception of loudness varies over frequency and average power (energy) is a function of bandwidth so I would expect the JND to depend upon those parameters (among others). Matching over frequency if the FR is dissimilar seems tricky; I'd probably match up around 1 to 3 kHz where the speaker's FR should be (but often is not) pretty flat and our hearing is most sensitive.

I helped with DBT/ABX studies decades ago but have no idea where the results might be published now. Some of it fed into papers for Audio and supposedly AES but I am not sure I saw the AES paper and do not recall the Audio article (I was a kid and most of my files from that age have vanished over the course of many moves; I have looked!) That was when DBT and ABX testing was becoming more popular (this would have been late 1970's/early 1980's) and there were a lot of things going on (like CD's vs. LP's). We used pink noise and single tones IIRC. Same electronics, speakers, etc. and we were carefuly to have people sit in the same place in a well-treated room. We also did a little testing in an anechoic chamber and the results were essentially the same. If you did a rapid switch using pink noise <1 dB was readily detectable, probably <0.5 dB in our testing, and my memory is that 0.1 dB was not. Not sure the resolution of our steps, probably 0.1 dB, and we walked back and forth among levels until nobody could tell. We had a relatively small test sample ( maybe 12 ~ 20 folk over a couple of sessions plus people off the street we tried our test out on just for fun). Using tones it was a little harder, guessing we saw around 0.5 dB at 1 kHz or so. Using music (tape loops) and a little longer delay (for the machine to restart the loop), most people could not identify a 1 dB step, it was closer to 2 or 3 dB.

All ancient memory, take with a block of salt.

Don Hills

OP
J

John Kenny

Thanks Don & Don
So to sum up - the JNDs are in your experience:
- with pinknoise <0.5dB
- with tones about 0.5dB
- with music between 2 & 3dB

So would this suggest that volume matching with music signal is not the big factor that it's made out to be?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Depends. For ABX testing, with rapid switching between the same samples, then 0.1 dB is what we used. Rapid switching almost always made the louder source sound better to people IME. That is, run the same source through an attenuator with a slight (~0.5 dB) difference in amplitude, switch "instantly" and a slightly louder signal was virtually always "better" even when the difference in loudness was not obvious to the listeners. Interesting the responses we got, even from ourselves, when supposedly comparing two components but actually only a difference in loudness(*). Walk in and out of a room, or mute and allow a few seconds to pass, then it took more like 2 ~ 3 dB for people to notice that it was a little louder or softer. So to some extent the JND threshold depends upon the situation.

Based on an old, old memory...

If I am running a sound board and someone asks for it to be "just a little louder" I'll bump it about 3 dB. That is about what most people IME perceive as a slight volume change.

All IME/IMO/FWIWFM/etc. - Don

(*) We designed the attenuators so input and output impedances of both paths were the same to avoid any possibility of frequency changes and so forth. Not that we expected anything but to forestall that being thrown at us as a variable.

Also note this was not rigorously vetted by the type of analysis folks who I have seen commenting upon statistical studies these days. It was an engineering/premed student (me) doing an interesting study with the assistance of (my) college engineering and psychology teachers. Psychoacoustics I would love to know more about and I claim no real expertise in this area.

OP
J

John Kenny

Depends. For ABX testing, with rapid switching between the same samples, then 0.1 dB is what we used. Rapid switching almost always made the louder source sound better to people IME. That is, run the same source through an attenuator with a slight (~0.5 dB) difference in amplitude, switch "instantly" and a slightly louder signal was virtually always "better" even when the difference in loudness was not obvious to the listeners. Interesting the responses we got, even from ourselves, when supposedly comparing two components but actually only a difference in loudness(*). Walk in and out of a room, or mute and allow a few seconds to pass, then it took more like 2 ~ 3 dB for people to notice that it was a little louder or softer. So to some extent the JND threshold depends upon the situation.
OK, thanks but one more question if you don't mind? Does the highlighted text mean that they didn't perceive ANY difference, not just a loudness difference? If they didn't perceive any difference then that is the JND for "normal" A/B switching of devices where there is more than a few seconds gap. As you say it depends on circumstances - so those who insist on volume matching of 0.1dB should also be insisting on instant A/B switching

Based on an old, old memory...

If I am running a sound board and someone asks for it to be "just a little louder" I'll bump it about 3 dB. That is about what most people IME perceive as a slight volume change.

All IME/IMO/FWIWFM/etc. - Don

(*) We designed the attenuators so input and output impedances of both paths were the same to avoid any possibility of frequency changes and so forth. Not that we expected anything but to forestall that being thrown at us as a variable.

Also note this was not rigorously vetted by the type of analysis folks who I have seen commenting upon statistical studies these days. It was an engineering/premed student (me) doing an interesting study with the assistance of (my) college engineering and psychology teachers. Psychoacoustics I would love to know more about and I claim no real expertise in this area.
Thanks again, Don

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A personal experience. Roon has the ability to resample DSD to PCM on the fly. Bluecoast Records was kind enough to give me DSD native versions of the PCM files I had bought with them. I played the DSD against PCM and found the former to be far, far higher fidelity on my PCM-only DAC. The real-time converted DSD had more resolution and flat out better sound. Then I realized it was actually louder. Looked inside Roon settings and it had applied by default a 6 dB boost in the process of converting DSD to PCM. I brought that down to 4 db and the two had similar level to my ear. Gone was any fidelity difference as it should have been. After all, I was always playing PCM, in one case pre-converted to PCM and the other, on the fly. So for sure 2 dB higher volume translated into better fidelity, not just louder.

Don Hills

The lesson I learnt was that small level differences were noticed as quality differences and larger level differences were noticed as such. It's as if the human auditory system requires a little time to measure small level differences, and the time-varying nature of music can cause instantaneous large level changes wihich don't allow time for the measurement to occur.

I refer once again to one of my "party tricks", where I play a 1 KHz test tone from a test record, then a tone from a generator or digital source. The LP source contains micro variations in level and pitch, as well as the usual noise. On a good turntable the tone can initially sound very good, but after a second or two the variations start to appear. The point for this discussion is that the same variations appear in all music LPs played on that turntable, but we don't hear them because of the time-varying nature of the musical signal. The signal doesn't "stand still" long enough to make a fine determination of pitch and level.

As to why a small difference can be described as "higher quality", it may be linked to the auditory ssytem's response to transients. Transients are processed much more quickly, the snap of a twig may be life or death. Louder transients excite a larger response.

OP
J

John Kenny

A personal experience. Roon has the ability to resample DSD to PCM on the fly. Bluecoast Records was kind enough to give me DSD native versions of the PCM files I had bought with them. I played the DSD against PCM and found the former to be far, far higher fidelity on my PCM-only DAC. The real-time converted DSD had more resolution and flat out better sound. Then I realized it was actually louder. Looked inside Roon settings and it had applied by default a 6 dB boost in the process of converting DSD to PCM. I brought that down to 4 db and the two had similar level to my ear. Gone was any fidelity difference as it should have been. After all, I was always playing PCM, in one case pre-converted to PCM and the other, on the fly. So for sure 2 dB higher volume translated into better fidelity, not just louder.
I presume you mean "brought that down BY 4 db"?

OP
J

John Kenny

The lesson I learnt was that small level differences were noticed as quality differences and larger level differences were noticed as such.
Thanks but can you put approx values to "small level difference" & "larger level differences"?
It's as if the human auditory system requires a little time to measure small level differences, and the time-varying nature of music can cause instantaneous large level changes wihich don't allow time for the measurement to occur.
That makes sense

I refer once again to one of my "party tricks", where I play a 1 KHz test tone from a test record, then a tone from a generator or digital source. The LP source contains micro variations in level and pitch, as well as the usual noise. On a good turntable the tone can initially sound very good, but after a second or two the variations start to appear. The point for this discussion is that the same variations appear in all music LPs played on that turntable, but we don't hear them because of the time-varying nature of the musical signal. The signal doesn't "stand still" long enough to make a fine determination of pitch and level.

As to why a small difference can be described as "higher quality", it may be linked to the auditory ssytem's response to transients. Transients are processed much more quickly, the snap of a twig may be life or death. Louder transients excite a larger response.
Could be?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
OK, thanks but one more question if you don't mind? Does the highlighted text mean that they didn't perceive ANY difference, not just a loudness difference? If they didn't perceive any difference then that is the JND for "normal" A/B switching of devices where there is more than a few seconds gap. As you say it depends on circumstances - so those who insist on volume matching of 0.1dB should also be insisting on instant A/B switching

Thanks again, Don

IIRC we just asked if they heard any difference. I do not think we specified what the difference was or might be.

I recall reading that auditory memory is/was about 6 seconds. No idea the source; would have been Audio or JAES as that's all I was really reading back then.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I presume you mean "brought that down BY 4 db"?
No the default was +6 and I set it to +4 by ear to get the same level. Not sure why such a boost is needed but setting it to zero made it less loud.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
IIRC we just asked if they heard any difference. I do not think we specified what the difference was or might be.

I recall reading that auditory memory is/was about 6 seconds. No idea the source; would have been Audio or JAES as that's all I was really reading back then.
I have seen numbers all the way up to 17-18 seconds. But my experience and the more common value I see are a few seconds.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Top Bottom