• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables and Tonearms | Designs

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
When I first posted the picture that's what it said under the pic: Magnetic Linear Tonearm Bearing
It's probably a typo; I think the author meant Magne http://www.bergmannaudio.com/products/separate_tonearms/magne_tonearm

pagemod.gallery.full.asp

Yes, definitely; someone made a typo...not me, I just typed exactly what it said under the picture:
Magnetic Linear Tonearm Bearing
The matching Sindre tone arm is a linear tracking air-bearing device which moves parallel to the record axis.
6moons.com

So forget Magnetic, and go with Magne instead; the name of that tonearm.
Click on that top left picture, and you'll see what I mean (from that link; large characters).

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No problem, it just peaked my curiosity. Pretty sure I saw that same typo'd discription before. Very sweet none the less.
Your a vinyl guy, grab one up and let us know how she runs. ;)

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
That would be beyond my most urgent needs.

But some TT explorers could find redemption and solace in that triple combo. The first TT in the first post of this thread, designed by Rainer, was retailing for $650,000 @ the time. ...Tonearm included.

fas42

Major Contributor
Just a video of that flash tone arm that Bob mentioned earlier, in action ...

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Cool Frank, I never saw that one ↑ (video, with distorted sound :D) . Quite a tonearm, and it has a bicycle chain to make it move! :cool:
• Pictures provided by the designer himself: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?3212-650K-Turntable&p=350190&viewfull=1#post350190
________

This one ↓ was deleted, probably by accidental involuntary will...from another thread. :confused::mad:;):D

_____

♪ Bonus: https://www.newvelle-records.com/

♫ Bonus #2:

♥ Info (TT directly related...vinyl 45rpm): http://store.ericclapton.com/i-still-do-2-lp-vinyl.html
___

<> I stopped using drugs when I was nineteen. I started @ thirteen.
I have been clean free for over forty years. Very little still remains in my system...only occasionally it resurfaces out of the blue. :emo:

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I own a 1959 Garrard Changer that worked the last time it was tried. 1973, maybe.

It got plenty of use when I was much younger.

I'd say it is this one:

$_57.JPG

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's one mighty find machine Ray. Bet she makes some purdy music. :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This looks looks like a solution in search of a problem. Or perhaps an "Art for Art's sake" kind of project. The complication in this, seems to me similar to the "useless" and likely unreliable complications on luxury watches...What are all those pulleys, cylinders for? Show? Do they need to be so numerous? convoluted? Rube Goldberg would have a field day and tons of money if he lived today and was a TT designer... Of course with all this going it would sound great, has great PRAT and the music would come from a blacker background in spite of all this plexiglass

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
1. The long 20" tonearm; I don't know enough. If someone can illuminate me I wouldn't mind.

2. That super complex building design all plastic/plexiglass quasi TT; I don't know either. Can it sound better than a more simple industrial look like Air Force One?
{It looks like it was made for a great Pharaoh King or Queen of Egypt and to be played inside the center of his pyramid kingdom.}

Derainer

Hello every one,
Quite a tonearm, and it has a bicycle chain to make it move!
I'm sorry, but this chain is not a bicycle chain. It is a so called energy chain. It contains a lot of cables.
Cables for lift motor, measuring laser, stop switches, symmetric audio cables and more, for example.
Such energy chains are used mostly in much bigger size in big machines. I hope, that I could explane.

best wishes,
Rainer

Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Hi Rainer; I was just humorous. I should have been more precise and said that it "looks" like.
Sorry about that; it's not easy I agree for first time readers to decipher the innocence in the humor.

It's nice you joined Audio Science Review and I welcome you with both "arms" wide open (pun intended and unintended).
Please feel comfy in detailing the mechanics behind your tonearm activation and more, without fear of reverse engineering.
It's a great honor to have you here...one of the highest TT designers in the world.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Personally, I don't think so. I think that what we have is good enough (damn good, actually), and people will still be listening to the same types of system (probably worse) in another 100 years' time. I don't think domestic hi fi has changed a lot in the last 50 years - in fact for the vinyl enthusiasts it hasn't changed at all.

50 years of no improvement for vinyl?

Well, in 1967, they didn't really have very good speed controls for turntables.

That's certainly one thing that is much better now than back then.

Also, the LPs themselves, at least in the enthusiast 180+ gram market, are pressed much better than when they were made in high volumes, in mass.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's cool looking, and I've seen it before, but I don't think anything on that is adjustable (speed, VTA, SRA, azimuth, skate, etc).
That design is sure to turn the LP into one big resonating disc. With strong bass you might even see the edge of the record vibrating in sympathy. LOL
I can imagine seeing a situation where disc warp combined with the tone arm and stylus suspension could set off a oscillation that might be destructive. A bit like a high speed wobble. :eek:
Just nuts IMHO ;)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That design is sure to turn the LP into one big resonating disc. With strong bass you might even see the edge of the record vibrating in sympathy. LOL
I can imagine seeing a situation where disc warp combined with the tone arm and stylus suspension could set off a oscillation that might be destructive. A bit like a high speed wobble. :eek:
Just nuts IMHO ;)

LOL...yeah, all that, too.

Actually it would be fun to watch it go into an oscillatory frenzy.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
MHO is that great turntable design really started with the AR series of suspended isolation, belt drive rigs. Their greatest weakness was that club of a tonearm they had. My first table was a AR-XB that I ran for many years and later had done a arm swap with some low mass type who's name I don't remember now.
Then came the big redesign of the AR called the Linn Sondek. It's now been though about a zillion updates, add on's etc, but still probably offers a sound that can get you very close to the vinyl SOTA..
Quite a number of years later came the original Oracle, another play on the AR and some great thinking went into it's design. Most of today's huge money rigs are expansions on the Oracle mainly adding mass to the platter and frame, tricks to the suspension, and tweaky electrical speed control.
I believe today's builds have made big improvements in the measurable areas like speed stability, isolation from floor and airborne vibrations and like. The problems that remain come from the antiquated mechanical design of dragging a rock thru a ditch that is 50+ years past it's day. No amount of money and great thinking is going to put into the 21st century of sound reproduction.
A 1967 C2 Corvette is incredibly sweet ride that will give it's owner a incredible amount of pleasure to drive for many reasons.
But it will never be in the same league as a new 2017 C7 Vette in real and measurable performance.
9d9645b7198e7a2f9b64246337960aba.jpg

web%20LINN%20SondekLP12Right.jpg

1210oracle.1.jpg

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
50 years of no improvement for vinyl?

Well, in 1967, they didn't really have very good speed controls for turntables.

That's certainly one thing that is much better now than back then.

Also, the LPs themselves, at least in the enthusiast 180+ gram market, are pressed much better than when they were made in high volumes, in mass.

1967 is one thing, but move forward ten years and things were completely different. I'm certainly not convinced that the majority of todays megabuck "audiophile" turntables are objectively better than the flagship direct-drive tables produced by the big Japanese brands like Yamaha, Technics, and Micro Seiki in the seventies to mid-eighties.

Just because something gives fetishists like Fremer a chubby, does not mean that it's actually worth considering.

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh, and on the whole belt drive thing: If you ask me, the main reason that todays "audiophile" tables are mostly belt drives, is because the (relatively) small companies who currently design and manufacture turntables lack both the engineering know-how and budget required to develop tables who run on anything else than rubber bands.

And the myth that was created by the European and american "audiophile" cottage industry and media in the seventies that direct drives are somehow "inferior" plays a huge part as well.
It's as dumb as the "source first" bullshit that arose around the same time that many placebophiles still cling to.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And the myth that was created by the European and american "audiophile" cottage industry and media in the seventies that direct drives are somehow "inferior" plays a huge part as well.
I could debate that with you, but seeing as I sold my last TT (belt drive) 7 years ago I'll dis-qualify my opinions as irrelevant. ;)

Top Bottom