• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables and Tonearms | Designs

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
1967 is one thing, but move forward ten years and things were completely different. I'm certainly not convinced that the majority of todays megabuck "audiophile" turntables are objectively better than the flagship direct-drive tables produced by the big Japanese brands like Yamaha, Technics, and Micro Seiki in the seventies to mid-eighties.

Just because something gives fetishists like Fremer a chubby, does not mean that it's actually worth considering.

I agree that late 70s early 80s was peak of turntable R&D and quality manufacturing and scale.

Oh and eff you for making me think of Fremer's little sack urchin.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

If you ask me it doesn't sound that bad for an old plastic Akai design turntable with an Ortofon cart. The album spinning helps.
____

The humorous full long version:

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
That's a good TT.

Also, 45rpm albums are better (better speed), better bass. ...Almost/equal like good CD music recordings.
Today is a beautiful day, with blue sky, some clouds, perfect temperature (23° Celsius). About time because for the last six weeks or so it's been painfully hot.
And for the last two weeks or so the sky was covered of smoke from the forest fires burning everywhere.
Now I can bike my ride with my hair free in the air, and see the mountains and ocean deep down to the infinite horizon.
Everything is more colorful and the greens are greener.
Music sounds better too, with cleaner air to cut through.

A.wayne

One of the best TT experiences i ever had , was with a TT using A linear tracking arm.

Regards

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
This video is not available.

That's what I got for clicking on it.

But I found this one, that works:

_____

Maybe Canadians are censored when it comes to some youtube videos? Nah, it's not a bug, it's a glitch.

Last edited:

CuteStudio

Some of the giant platters may have a problem of dynamic wow, once a bit of needle drag slows it down it could take a while to get back up to speed again.

That was something the Goldring Lenco handled very well (an idler wheel drive in place of the usual rubber band), more modern and trendy belt drive tables had lighter platters to shorten the problem, whereas Linn added the Valhalla board for the motor to effectively do the same thing.
The problem with the Lenco is they didn't develop it and to use the turntable was quite a bit of DIY to hack off the imperfect arm they fitted.
I still have my old Rega which had a glass platter which was Ok, never noticed any trouble with that, I actually bought that before I knew about the Lencos.

I do like the turntables that look like oil rigs or the spacecraft from The Forbidden Planet though.

Wombat

Master Contributor
My two:

Technics SL10 - exceptional MC standard cartridge. Unfortunately unobtainium, now.

pics_v2.jpg

Pioneer PL L1000

pics_v2.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The Harman Kardon ST8 with the Rabco linear tracking arm was my sweetheart.
With the exception of a couple rubber belt replacements, it ran without issue for 25 years till the day I sold it.
IMG_0999.jpg

Top Bottom