• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 12.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 264 82.0%

• Total voters

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Interesting because the Octo version is more praised with YouTube reviewers than the Sabre. BTW, I also have the Sabre version but never heard the Octo.
I have The Quad, as they might have called the D30 Pro, and it sounds excellent.

Audiobliss2

Interesting because the Octo version is more praised with YouTube reviewers than the Sabre. BTW, I also have the Sabre version but never heard the Octo.
Maybe I just didn't give it enough time, but you know what they say about first impressions. Usually if a new unit is a keeper, it sounds good right out the box.
The Octo was not like that. I saw all those great reviews, that's why I got it.
The Sabre chips are just better .

Audiobliss2

Been having a output drop out issue with my D70 Pro Sabre for the pass weeks.
It was driving me crazy trying to isolate the problem. First I thought it was my streamer, didn't want to believe it was the dac, as it is the newest item in the system.
But after I realized that the drop out would happen with all inputs to the dac, I swapped the D70 for a E70 I have in another system , and that proved it.

So of course the return period had just passed, so after many emails back and forth with the dealer, I had to send them a video of the music stuttering, which I was lucky to catch one night, because you never know when it's going to happen.

They factory finally recommended that I update the firmware to v1.07 , mine was v1.05 when I checked. So I took it over to my IT friend yesterday, as I did not trust myself doing it. Well as he did a search looking for v1.07 , v1.08 showed up, just released yesterday. So he installed that, and it streams to have cured the problem.
Been playing it since with about six hours on it with no drop outs.
Sounding excellent again.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Been playing it since with about six hours on it with no drop outs.
Sounding excellent again.
Should the drop outs return, try increasing the Bandwidth setting:
Screenshot_20240602-001550_Drive.png

It was designed specifically for that purpose.

Audiobliss2

I saw that while searching through the manual for a solution, but since the dac had no issues with bandwidth for over 30 days, I was reluctant to mess with that setting.
But if it does start happening again I surely will, as the only other option the Amazon dealer was giving me , was to mail it back to China at my expense and wait months, and hope it doesn't get lost.

Nordling

Should the drop outs return, try increasing the Bandwidth setting:
View attachment 372581

It was designed specifically for that purpose.
"Bandwidth: the larger the number is, the stronger the ability to adapt to jitter, and the smaller the number the better the performance."

I'm curious: what does this mean for the performance. How much will SINAD be influenced?

Bleib

Major Contributor
"Bandwidth: the larger the number is, the stronger the ability to adapt to jitter, and the smaller the number the better the performance."

I'm curious: what does this mean for the performance. How much will SINAD be influenced?
If I remember correctly it increases jitter. It should all be inaudible though.

Top Bottom