• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Things that cannot be measured"

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Coincidence?
I think not.
Definitely not. The musicians surrounding Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Miles Davis, Paul Simon, Tony Bennett, Art Blakey (to name a few great band assemblers) are always extraordinary.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
He spent a fair amount of quality time playing sessions with (for is probably more accurate) Mssrs. Becker and Fagen (i.e., Steely Dan).

If that's not an endorsement, I'm not sure what would be.

im_gumby

My honest guess is that they likely do nothing(like every other cable measured), but I suppose it's possible they degrade the sound in some way. Simple copper wire is already 100% perfect, so if the MIT cable is different in any way, it's guaranteed to be worse than the simple copper.

I'm sure many have heard a difference, but I think the most likely explanation for that is either placebo, or demo sleight of hand(several cable manufacturers have been caught increasing the volume for their cables).
what about inducing a magnetic field inside that box as the signal passes through?

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Something the subjectivist crowd often brings up. "There are things we cannot measure but the human ear/brain can hear
When I was a kid I tried to record by microphone the sound of music in my room. That learned me that 2 ears and a brain perceives music very differently from a microphone. 50 years later I read something very similar in Toole’s book “Sound reproduction,,,,”.
I think he is correct, that hearing perception is the element we cannot measure.
The electrical signals upstream the speakers can be measured in every way and gives the complete truth about the signal.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
what about inducing a magnetic field inside that box as the signal passes through?
From https://www.physicsbook.gatech.edu/Magnetic_Field_of_Coaxial_Cable_Using_Ampere's_Law

"Conclusion.
To conclude, we now know that the coax produces no magnetic field outside the wire as long as current in each wire are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction."

Twisted pair also creates very little external magnetic field.

As far as audiphool cables go all bets are off.

im_gumby

From https://www.physicsbook.gatech.edu/Magnetic_Field_of_Coaxial_Cable_Using_Ampere's_Law

"Conclusion.
To conclude, we now know that the coax produces no magnetic field outside the wire as long as current in each wire are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction."

Twisted pair also creates very little external magnetic field.

As far as audiphool cables go all bets are off.
I'm sorry, let me rephrase that.
What would happen if they induce a magnetic field around the cable?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry, let me rephrase that.
What would happen if they induce a magnetic field around the cable?
It would act as a inductor does. It will induce current flow as long as magnetic/electromagnetic change is occurring.

im_gumby

It would act as a inductor does. It will induce current flow as long as magnetic/electromagnetic change is occurring.
Ok,
So these MIT devices would be able to 'color' the signal in the wire?

Look, I have no clue or skin in the game here.
Snake oil? Ok... at 100K or some insane number... most likely.

But beyond the placebo effect, do they change the sound as it passes thru the box?
You see the 'audiophile experts' claiming to hear a difference. If you give them the benefit of the doubt that they heard something... what would cause it?

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok,

But beyond the placebo effect, do they change the sound as it passes thru the box?
You see the 'audiophile experts' claiming to hear a difference. If you give them the benefit of the doubt that they heard something... what would cause it?
Why give them the benefit of the doubt when they are quite obviously imagining things?

im_gumby

Why give them the benefit of the doubt when they are quite obviously imagining things?
Because there may be some truth in their advertising/claims.
If what I suspect is true... it would be measurable. Would it be audible? I don't know.

Now I am not Richie Rich or Scrooge McDuck w money to burn so I could test this out... nor do I believe that MIT would allow someone like Amir or anyone w the right equipment to test it. (Ok, I used comic book characters to represent ludicrous wealth. I guess I could have said Bill Gates or Zuckerberg...) :p

Besides you know the old saying... even if you're paranoid, there may be people who are out to get you.... ;-)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok,

I just dropped into this commentary. Can you please bring me up to speed on this MIT box and what it is/model number?

Emlin

If what I suspect is true... it would be measurable. Would it be audible? I don't know.

Now I am not Richie Rich or Scrooge McDuck w money to burn so I could test this out... nor do I believe that MIT would allow someone like Amir or anyone w the right equipment to test it. (Ok, I used comic book characters to represent ludicrous wealth. I guess I could have said Bill Gates or Zuckerberg...) :p

Besides you know the old saying... even if you're paranoid, there may be people who are out to get you.... ;-)
There's no truth in their claims. If they had proof, they'd publish it. It's bollocks.

im_gumby

I just dropped into this commentary. Can you please bring me up to speed on this MIT box and what it is/model number?

I think this is the link to the short, but if you go thru his recent videos... you can find it.

I've been looking at a bunch of speaker cable threads, so I apologize if this hadn't come up in this one.
(I'm looking to make my own cables and looking at the different cable options and then connection options. )

And yes, I may consider speaker cable risers. Not to improve sound, but that I have a husky and I want her fluff bunnies to have free range in my office and not be trapped by the speaker cable.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Here you can see the inside of a patented MIT digital cable. The flowery language about micro-components and yada yada yada proved not to be so impressive. View the photo in the link.

Or here you can see what was inside some of their cable and what it does to frequency response.

Last edited:

Emlin

I think this is the link to the short, but if you go thru his recent videos... you can find it.

I've been looking at a bunch of speaker cable threads, so I apologize if this hadn't come up in this one.
(I'm looking to make my own cables and looking at the different cable options and then connection options. )

And yes, I may consider speaker cable risers. Not to improve sound, but that I have a husky and I want her fluff bunnies to have free range in my office and not be trapped by the speaker cable.
Hint: use wire.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Why are you making your own cables? Just buy some. If you want some nice ends and covers you can get those without paying too much. There is nothing to gain from making your own other than doing it cheaply.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Why are you making your own cables? Just buy some. If you want some nice ends and covers you can get those without paying too much. There is nothing to gain from making your own other than doing it cheaply.
Indeed, Home Depot, Lowes, or any Ace Hardware can help you out there, just fine.

Top Bottom