• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

OP
G

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It can be as easy as duplicating the chip manufacturer's circuit suggestions from datasheets such as this one for Texas Instrument's DRV603.
hi thank you very much for this very helpful link I think i will try this for sure
Considering the small power consumption and the low voltage a power supply based on batteries could be a very interesting option
I am using small portable headphone amps powered by a battery to watch the TV and the absence of noise impresses me a lot
Unfortunately the crcuits are so small that is difficult to work on them I was thinking to cannibalize their guts put them in a box and make a line preamp with a better pot and panel connectors
The chip you mention has excellent performance indeed
I will try it soon

OP
G

gino1961

hi congratulations for your spectacular system this is the approach i love at least for speakers They are really really nice indeed
Have you ever tried a solid state amplification with it ? for sure these speakers must be exceptionally revealing of any issue with the amplification
i would try a simple but good sounding class A integrated maybe ? a one box solution
I love tubes for mids and highs
For the bass Hz i prefer the damping provided by a solid state amp

OP
G

gino1961

I owned one of the Zen power amps. https://www.passdiy.com/project/amplifiers/the-zen-amplifier

Quite the simple circuit for the output stage.
View attachment 364733
hi thanks a lot for the kind suggestion Did you enjoy its sound ? still using these days ? was the heat so high ?
i have seen the old Pass Aleph 1 and i am surprised to see no ventilation holes in the box I am sure that with some big holes in the bottom and on top the temperature could rise less Maybe also adding a low noise fan above the output stages
i am very curious about the advice of persons who have owned very good sounding units and what they ended with
I am always trying to get profit from other people experience and knowledge

OP
G

gino1961

Me too in 1997. I tried a similar approach with bipolar transistors and found out fast that to get sufficient gain for negative feedback you have to add current sources, for better performance get a differential input stage, then improve it with Wilson current mirrors, and still the DC performance was meagre and very temperature dependent.
Hi thanks a lot I am attaching the circuit i simulated It is just a gain block The recommended Vsupply is +60VDC but also with +48VDC the distortion spectrum of a 1kHz sine was very satisfying with a 2nd order harmonic at -90dB
I used other bjts because i did not find the models of the originals But the option of different bjts pairs is endless
The original preamp is the Radford ZD22 The line stage is made complex for the presence of a tone control stage between an input amp and an output amp that share the same topology This preamp was used as a reference by an Italian audio magazine in the late '70s
if i can get sufficient performance from a 2 bjts circuit i would not be motivated to try a 20 bjts design for sure
Regarding current sources i understand it is possible to get very low distortion also without them I read a lab report confirming this
Again the problem will be to check if the instruments will confirm the good results obtained with the simulation
Looking at the last circuit I'd tried I realized that it makes much more sense to use an opamp which contains all this and more in a thermocoupled package with tightly matched components, and all this for almost no money. I just kept a power Mosfet for sufficient output current.
Yes i will try also the opamp i have been suggested I like the fact that it works also with low voltage and low consumption
I could use batteries and therefore avoid the power supply design and build

Attachments

• gain stage .png
    gain stage .png
    122.3 KB · Views: 15

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A complex discrete (for audio) + digital control (for remote, volume, switching, display) preamplifier from 20 years ago.

All those little black things are transistors.

Single ended and balanced in and out with voltage or current drive outouts with two zones for simultaneous separate (or same) input and output.

3785418-8bb32f17-krell-kct-preamplifier-krell-current-tunnel-pure-class-a.jpg

1713617904783.png

I wouldn't bother but I have one so might as well show.

OP
G

gino1961

A complex discrete (for audio) + digital control (for remote, volume, switching, display) preamplifier from 20 years ago.

All those little black things are transistors.

Single ended and balanced in and out with voltage or current drive outouts with two zones for simultaneous separate (or same) input and output.

3785418-8bb32f17-krell-kct-preamplifier-krell-current-tunnel-pure-class-a.jpg

View attachment 364860

I wouldn't bother but I have one so might as well show.
Hi wow this is electronic art at its best
Just to be clear I admire deeply this type of units that could end the game
To be perfectly honest I like a little more the two boxes solution with the Power supply separated from the amplification circuits
But this is a complete control unit Very nice Gorgeous

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hi thanks a lot for the kind suggestion Did you enjoy its sound ? still using these days ? was the heat so high ?
i have seen the old Pass Aleph 1 and i am surprised to see no ventilation holes in the box I am sure that with some big holes in the bottom and on top the temperature could rise less Maybe also adding a low noise fan above the output stages
i am very curious about the advice of persons who have owned very good sounding units and what they ended with
I am always trying to get profit from other people experience and knowledge
What I had was the commercial version, the Aleph 0. It was one big cubic heat sink. It got very, very hot. 30 wpc @ 8 ohms, single ended MOSFET. It sounded good on my Quad ESL63 speakers. It was okay, but underpowered on a couple different Magnepans. It seemed to fall apart on any ported speaker. Lent it to friends. It was terrible on Thiels, Mirage M3si, even fell apart on some little Radio Shack Linaeum speakers. On ported speakers it wasn't just power, the Aleph sounded bad at any volume. After satisfying my curiosity I sold it to someone who had LS3/5a speakers. Near that time I had a 35 watt triode amp. It was much more capable on most speakers if limited in power itself.

If you read this you'll note the reviewer used it with ESLs, Maggies and his own design of a sealed box speaker. Did he try it with ported units and find the same problem? Don't know.

Last edited:
OP
G

gino1961

Hi thank you for the very interesting reply
I like a lot this kind of aesthetic Very like industrial but attractive design Even if the best way to listen music is in complete darkness
I understand that today extremely high power MOSFET are available Like 300w MOSFET
Maybe a different choice of output device could improve performance ?
Or maybe using more output devices in parallel
I have seen this solution adoted in some high end tube preamps from Conrad & Johnson
It's all beyond my knowledge by the way
I would have chosen the right speakers after the amp
Others prefer to choose speakers first and the an amp that can make them sing

Last edited:
Top Bottom