• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

Somafunk

Major Contributor
So far i'm almost 5000€ in it. I only need a KVM switch and a good DAC and then i'm happy.

I can sympathise as I followed a very similar route, built a desk out 2m of walnut worktop and thought I was done but my MacBook/Cambridge audio DacMagic and KRK Rokit 5‘s/KRK 10s subwoofer looked lost on it/underneath it, so I bought KRK Rokit 7’s, then a 27” iMac, then a Cambridge audio cxn v2 streamer, then upgraded my speakers/sub to Dynaudio Lyd 48’s/dynaudio 18s dual opposed sub, then thought about room acoustics for my preferred dry/direct sound for electronic music so got a friend in who does ”studio” stuff (understatement of the year) and after measurements I bought 17 GIK panels then final “tweak” using peq in roon and I guess I’m now done.

£8000+ later………… I just wanted a new desk :facepalm:

( i”m very happy and no regrets at all :D)

napfkuchen

So far i'm almost 5000€ in it. I only need a KVM switch and a good DAC and then i'm happy.
View attachment 357101
Looks like Finnish Orange-Pi :)
Just this week I was able to successfully upgrade my gaming pc, it was just too slow for VR (quest 3). Decided to only max out AMD socket AM4 (with Ryzen 7 5800X3D and RTX4080) and kept the rest of the system. My "entertainment budget" had already been strained by a pair of new front speakers for the living room, so strict budgetary discipline was in place. :D

napfkuchen

New speaker day. :D Unfortunately, it will still take a while until the appropriate stands are added. In order to save the time-consuming setup until then, I first switched off the two subwoofers, Dirac and Auro3D, and it immediately sounded the way I wanted it to. Kind of like my office setup, just a little bigger. I lowered the bass by 2 dB and that was it. Unfortunately, this gave rise to the desire to also swap the center and the two rear speakers. Maybe next year...

IMG20240320200400.jpg

Mikig

7C205C69-B266-4A34-B8E9-2524D7C1F9C4.jpeg

In use for some time now..

Piega Twen Anniversary speakers
Halcro DM38 power amp
Khozmo Acoustic passive preamp (attenuator)
SMSL DO300
MacBook Pro (very old)
Mark Levinson N 31.5 CD Transport

Mikig

I see. The vintage Infinity speakers always get my attention. I like them.
and me too!!!
I worked on it a lot, firstly because I didn't have clear instructions.
Then you have to use two amplifiers, a myriad of cables, the active crossover to configure... beautiful, wonderful, but in the end I couldn't stand having that mess behind the system anymore, and what's more it always seemed to me that something was missing....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you lived near here I would gladly give them to you to try!!;)
Oh so nice! Thank you for your kindness. :D I enjoyed the Infinity Kappa Series very much and the INFINITY REFERENCE STANDARD RS II-B was cool too. I enjoy the high frequency part of speakers and I found the Infinity vintage speakers to be good for that.
infinity-reference-standard-rs-ii-b-vintage-ribbon-speakers-with-lf-eq-near-perfect-687.jpg

InfinityRS9KappaSeries4-WaySpeakerSystem(7).jpg

Mikig

Oh so nice! Thank you for your kindness. :D I enjoyed the Infinity Kappa Series very much and the INFINITY REFERENCE STANDARD RS II-B was cool too. I enjoy the high frequency part of speakers and I found the Infinity vintage speakers to be good for that.
infinity-reference-standard-rs-ii-b-vintage-ribbon-speakers-with-lf-eq-near-perfect-687.jpg

InfinityRS9KappaSeries4-WaySpeakerSystem(7).jpg
beautiful,
when I think that they practically don't do anything about these things anymore...
those “Emit” and “Emim” are amazing!!!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Crossover Epsilon
This is a very nice construction. The PCB is top quality for sure. This is the kind of PCB that one needs a lot of experience and the proper kind of tools to work on it...

Mikig

This is a very nice construction. The PCB is top quality for sure. This is the kind of PCB that one needs a lot of experience and the proper kind of tools to work on it...
Yes very nice! I open everything very carefully, and I must say that this is rare in terms of order, components, cleanliness...

Mikig

They really are. I see people selling vintage Infinity speakers and it seems they take good care of them now.
they are becoming increasingly rare…there are few spare parts, unfortunately, so yes, it's better to take it slow….

Mikig

I used them with Halcro and 332 Levinson, then 332 started having a distortion problem. Then I started using a class D Halcro MC for the basses, but it was inverting. So I always had the impression that, even though there is the 180* button, there was something that wasn't right. I've tried other configurations, but the other power amps I have are a hair underpowered for the need... at a certain point, I unplugged everything and switched to a much simpler system...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used them with Halcro and 332 Levinson, then 332 started having a distortion problem. Then I started using a class D Halcro MC for the basses, but it was inverting. So I always had the impression that, even though there is the 180* button, there was something that wasn't right. I've tried other configurations, but the other power amps I have are a hair underpowered for the need... at a certain point, I unplugged everything and switched to a much simpler system...
Back!!! Fell asleep at my desk for awhile...LoL. :D
Yes, Big Infinity speakers can be power hungry for sure. I never had a large enough power amp to operate them at their limits without feeling like the amp was was at maximum output. I have a propensity for exaggerated high frequencies and tight thumpy bass and the Infinity can do those things very well especially when EQ and bas and treble controls are used with great effect.

Mikig

Back!!! Fell asleep at my desk for awhile...LoL. :D
Yes, Big Infinity speakers can be power hungry for sure. I never had a large enough power amp to operate them at their limits without feeling like the amp was was at maximum output. I have a propensity for exaggerated high frequencies and tight thumpy bass and the Infinity can do those things very well especially when EQ and bas and treble controls are used with great effect.
and I think I'm leaving now too... where I come from, the rooster will crow in 3 hours!!!;)

honestly I also prefer medium and high! I like the bass but "just right"!! Of course the Epsilons don't have any problems anywhere, the ones I use now are a bit "dry" but it's nice to listen to...

Top Bottom