• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers: Technology Vs Implementation

D

Deleted member 21219

Could you elaborate on that one? Other than maybe something like Manger or MBL or Purifi, I can't find a lot of those. I'm sure there's plenty.

I'm not a patent lawyer, not am I an engineer. I've been told, however, that many patents are an endeavor similar to start-ups; they are applied for (or issued) in the hope that some entity will buy them up.

Like these:

Actual patents assigned:

This is essentially an investor's game. How effective it is overall, I don't know.

Jim

OP
B

BKr0n

In my limited interaction with the audiophile community I am in touch with, I have heard:
  • I like "live performance" therefore I hate box speakers, I prefer open baffle/omni as it is closer to "live performance"
  • I like studio monitors that producers use so that I can hear what the producers intended.
  • I like speakers that throw a "huge soundstage"
  • I like "warm and musical" presentation
  • I like "pin point imaging"
  • Some like audio jewellery "statement pieces".
  • etc...
No one speaker can do all of the above .... I guess that's why speakers are so varied in design and prices.
Yeah this has been probably the biggest issue I've had when picking drivers. Like I was saying about tweeters: I was thinking about investing in either a set of RAALs or a couple of Bliesma tweeters. I can find a lot of anecdote, but not a whole lot of data by comparison. I get that ribbons inherently have much better transient response, but Bliesma definitely proves good design has its merits. But also like I was saying before, I also may need to retool the shape of the speaker itself in order to get the most out of them anyway.
This is essentially an investor's game. How effective it is overall, I don't know.
I recognize a few of those. Other than the Paradigm ones, I think I saw one for the BMR from Tectonic or Dayton. Paradigm definitely have a lot of more exotic speakers. Their high end has all of the cone faces made of beryllium including the woofers. Only other company that I've seen do that is Accuton, but theirs are even crazier because their faces are diamond crystal.

Top Bottom