• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sold Out - Revel Salon2 New Stock w/ full warranty $12k plus shipping

How many subs w/ your Salons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back to speakers…

They are equivalent to 14" drivers in each.

Yes, and?

As previously discussed by @NTK, the volume displacement of 3 8" woofers is likely not going to equal the volume displacement (I.e. what actually matters; we don't care about swept area except in that larger swept area requires less excursion for a given volume displacement) of a good 12" woofer. However, Salon2 use large vented cabinets so they have more headroom above their port tuning than a closed box using the same drivers. BUT, placement is also an issue - and subwoofers are more likely to be placed to take advantage of boundary loading. So balancing all factors it's reasonable to assume in room a good 12" closed box sub individually will provide slightly greater mean output than a single Revel Salon2 above Salon2's tuning, and much greater output below. If you use 4 subwoofers, as Dr. Toole does with his Salon2, that's an additional headroom boost.

Though to add another layer, Sound Field Management subwoofer calibration sacrifices headroom for bass linearity and consistency throughout the room, so in that particular case the delta in headroom with and without subs may not actually be that high. Bass quality at all volume settings over all seats should improve (dramatically in some spots, subtly in others) from well integrated multisubs. For certain movies, there may also be more significant headroom benefits given the ability of closed boxes to pressurize the room below their nominal cutoff.

So really I think there are two questions here:
First, how much bass output do you need? Personally I think it's hard to argue that for most musical program Salon2 should have adequate volume displacement in most if not all rooms, and can be made to sound very good in one seat with judicious placement and EQ of peaks. In that sense, subs are not necessary.

Second, how large of an area with good bass with good bass you want? If the answer is more than "1 prime listening seat" then distributed subwoofers are of huge benefit almost regardless of output capabilities.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Back to speakers…

Yes, and?

As previously discussed by @NTK, the volume displacement of 3 8" woofers is likely not going to equal the volume displacement (I.e. what actually matters; we don't care about swept area except in that larger swept area requires less excursion for a given volume displacement) of a good 12" woofer. However, Salon2 use large vented cabinets so they have more headroom above their port tuning than a closed box using the same drivers. BUT, placement is also an issue - and subwoofers are more likely to be placed to take advantage of boundary loading. So balancing all factors it's reasonable to assume in room a good 12" closed box sub individually will provide slightly greater mean output than a single Revel Salon2 above Salon2's tuning, and much greater output below. If you use 4 subwoofers, as Dr. Toole does with his Salon2, that's an additional headroom boost.

Though to add another layer, Sound Field Management subwoofer calibration sacrifices headroom for bass linearity and consistency throughout the room, so in that particular case the delta in headroom with and without subs may not actually be that high. Bass quality at all volume settings over all seats should improve (dramatically in some spots, subtly in others) from well integrated multisubs. For certain movies, there may also be more significant headroom benefits given the ability of closed boxes to pressurize the room below their nominal cutoff.

So really I think there are two questions here:
First, how much bass output do you need? Personally I think it's hard to argue that for most musical program Salon2 should have adequate volume displacement in most if not all rooms, and can be made to sound very good in one seat with judicious placement and EQ of peaks. In that sense, subs are not necessary.

Second, how large of an area with good bass with good bass you want? If the answer is more than "1 prime listening seat" then distributed subwoofers are of huge benefit almost regardless of output capabilities.
In short, you agree that Salon2 have sufficient sub-bass response and the only reason to use a sub is for acoustically treating the room.

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You still don't show that they speakers are above anything else. Maybe ASR members should think and act by themselves and not wait for their guru approval...
As to your challenge to "show they are above anything else"... no one said that anywhere in this thread, to my knowledge. So, you've conjured up that tidbit on your own. I don't think that this bunch is waiting for Godot. If you're curious(?), a more insightful and articulate voice than my own, Pirsig's precepts of quality have been pissing people off since the '70's... have at it. MOQ. Yes... I know... "Metaphysics" is in the title and we're objectivists. There's always more questions than answers. (If you'd like a reading list on this perspective, start with Plato and Aristotle, include Beckett and Santayana and don't forget Pirsig, Feynman and Bueno de Mesquita.) Personally, I'm not waiting for anyone, why would I, the delivery of my Salon2s have already arrived... and they're playing in the other room as I write this ("I've got the world on a string"). 2 pairs left... tick... tock... lol. C.D.

I totally agree with @jhaider... "Back to speakers..."

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In short, you agree that Salon2 have sufficient sub-bass response and the only reason to use a sub is for acoustically treating the room.
Strategically located and optimized subs can also more efficiently transfer sound energy into the room (by avoiding cancellations, aka destructive interferences).

From Dr Toole's article in Audioholics. By adding 2 more sub at the back of the room, in-room SPL was increased while total output power from the sub was reduced. The output power from the rear subs were only at 6.3%, and thus they didn't need to be big.

Audioholics_SFM.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Strategically located and optimized subs can also more efficiently transfer sound energy into the room (by avoiding cancellations, aka destructive interferences).

From Dr Toole's article in Audioholics. By adding 2 more sub at the back of the room, in-room SPL was increased while total output power from the sub was reduced. The output power from the rear subs were only at 6.3%, and thus they didn't need to be big.

View attachment 300433
I agree but as I said that is about acoustically treating the room. You can employ even more subwoofers on front and rear walls and use Trinnov Waveform.

For listening stereo music in an acoustically treated room (not in a media room like Dr. Tootle’s) I cannot see how sub(s) will benefit a pair of those big Revel speakers.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We need to go back to the history of the speaker dedicated to listening music at home.
In the 80's there were the West Coast sound using cubicle speaker equipped with 1 large woofer.
Then came the tower speaker fashion using at first 1, then 2 smaller woofers.
Now some high end tower speakers as the Studio2 have 3 smaller woofers.
As they are well engineers speakers, it is obvious that the 3 smaller woofers solution is suitable to listen music at home!

Since the Home Theater fashion we can add 1 or multiple subwoofers connected to the LFE channel.
Good for movies, not needed for music.

Personnaly I prefer to route the LFE channel to the Tower speakers and boost the power sent to the integrated woofers (2 in my case).
We are free to enjoy our hobby as we want.

Indiana Jones

Forum Donor
Man I don't know what happen to this Happy thread.... But I sure have enjoyed it AND I Really thank the OP for sharing the link to pick up a pair. I would like to report I was able to get the last set of brand new, black, Salon2's!! I am super pumped I've been eyeing wanting these for a few years now and it is a really good day!! They will arrive on a 400lb pallet on Monday!! Cheers and thanks again Viva Las Vegas!!!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Man I don't know what happen to this Happy thread.... But I sure have enjoyed it AND I Really thank the OP for sharing the link to pick up a pair. I would like to report I was able to get the last set of brand new, black, Salon2's!! I am super pumped I've been eyeing wanting these for a few years now and it is a really good day!! They will arrive on a 400lb pallet on Monday!! Cheers and thanks again Viva Las Vegas!!!
Wowow! Far out! A happy camper for sure. :D

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats on your Salons. That means that ASR members got at least 3 of the 4 pairs that they had. As I said before, that was the original purpose of this thread... the rest was fueled by exuberant existentialism... lol. Your purchase also brings this thread to a very happy conclusion, since other members have reaped all the rewards to be had. Seize the day ASR dudes.

Last edited:
OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just spoke to the dealer. It turns out that he has 2 pairs left. A demo in black $11k + shipping. A brand new pair in mahogany $12k + shipping. These are ASR prices, $3k discount for ASR members... so mention it to Sean, he'll treat you well. http://Salon2 $11-12k Good luck.

Tachyon88

How much did shipping cost ?

serlv

I just spoke to the dealer. It turns out that he has 2 pairs left. A demo in black $11k + shipping. A brand new pair in mahogany $12k + shipping. These are ASR prices, $3k discount for ASR members... so mention it to Sean, he'll treat you well. http://Salon2 $11-12k Good luck.
You are in Las Vegas? Me too. I'm on the west side of the strip/I-15. What was the shipping from VA to Vegas? And the cost. Was it 12,000, plus 8.35% ( or is it 8.375 now? ) And, one more question. Why is the dealer doing this? In your last post you mentioned a demo ( black ); is he discontinuing Revel or something? ( OK, that was two... :) )

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are in Las Vegas? Me too. I'm on the west side of the strip/I-15. What was the shipping from VA to Vegas? And the cost. Was it 12,000, plus 8.35% ( or is it 8.375 now? ) And, one more question. Why is the dealer doing this? In your last post you mentioned a demo ( black ); is he discontinuing Revel or something? ( OK, that was two... :) )
Shipping was $750, no tax which was the tipping point for me, saving nearly $1k in tax alone motivated me to pull the trigger. As to why, you'd have to ask him, but it looks like he's reducing inventory on hand. This is the last production run for the Salon2s. Mention ASR and he's been discounting Salon2s to members. They are still being advertised, so he may still have a pair or two. After spending time with these every day, it's the best money that I've ever spent on audio gear, even though it's more than I've ever spent by a lot. That along with knowing that I don't have to ever buy anything else, is a huge satisfaction. If you can, jump on this deal. You won't have buyer's regret, believe me. Good luck.

serlv

The mahogany pair was just bought by me. w00t! Thanks for this thread and forum. Sean does still have the one, in perfect shape, black demo pair left, for 11K

OP
Astoneroad

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The mahogany pair was just bought by me. w00t! Thanks for this thread and forum. Sean does still have the one, in perfect shape, black demo pair left, for 11K
That makes 4 pairs that ASR members scooped up!! Enjoy the music.

Lsc

Congratulations!!! They are great speakers.

AnalogBits

Just out of curiosity, for the more learned members here - is there an upgrade to the Salon2 in the works from Revel? I've done a little searching, but haven't turned anything up as of yet.
As I type that, I find this -

Intent by Revel to use the F328Be to replace the Salon2. Lots of corporate marketing talk about why its better. And a small nugget where Sean Olive says he likes the Salon2. Inter-departmental spat? :D
Cheers,

Last edited:
Top Bottom