• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm:

That really is a depressing read. Not a hint of self awareness amongst the lot of them.
“Put in simpler terms…one direction gives more detail liveness, the other direction gives a warmer, fuller sound…with less quickness and detail.

The choice then becomes which type of sound
characteristics most please you…

Again it is how we appreciate what we are hearing.

Hope this helps
Best wishes”

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who knows what this is supposed to mean. This supposed great mind of engineering is weighing in on the sonic influences of fuse direction on his own forum, and all he thinks to add is this bit of existential apocrypha. This may be the greatest documented example of his fraudulence on record:

IMG_0018.jpeg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
“Put in simpler terms…one direction gives more detail liveness, the other direction gives a warmer, fuller sound…with less quickness and detail.

The choice then becomes which type of sound
characteristics most please you…

Again it is how we appreciate what we are hearing.

Hope this helps
Best wishes”
One way lively
Other way deadly

Got it!
:cool:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Don't understand the worry about fuse direction since AC goes both directions through those that fuse AC circuits.

Common misconception about audiophile fuses. Of course you have to use them with an audiophile fuse holder that rotates 50 times per second (or 60), so the current always flows the correct way.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Fuses for DC when voltages are large enough can present a problem. Once the fuse blows under a fault condition in such a setting, the vaporized metal can form a plasma that keeps conducting and may start a fire. With AC, the zero-crossings allow the ark-over to stop and extinguish the continuous burn.
ark-over :cool:

1709153072293.png

I'm sorry! Sometimes* I just can't help myself.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Fuses for DC when voltages are large enough can present a problem. Once the fuse blows under a fault condition in such a setting, the vaporized metal can form a plasma that keeps conducting and may start a fire. With AC, the zero-crossings allow the ark-over to stop and extinguish the continuous burn.

Yes, I remember fuses (even AC ones) in power substations being filled with black powder or some other mild explosive, in order to properly blow out and prevent arcing.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I take it as him telling people they are idiots, without telling them they are idiots. Unfortunately it was interpreted as genuine curiosity.
Given the potential hazards that could arise from the stuff they’re playing around with, one would think that such discussions on your own company’s forum would warrant a stern note of caution, if anything just for CYA purposes. There is no sense of ethics at play anywhere near that company.

I wish some “eminent” editorialist at Stereophool or some equivalent industry tastemaker with significant power over his bottom line would finally expose his charlatanism and scientific incredulity once and for all—it would be an absolute orgiastic ecstacy of schadenfreude.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wish some “eminent” editorialist at Stereophool or some equivalent industry tastemaker with significant power over his bottom line would finally expose his charlatanism and scientific incredulity once and for all—it would be an absolute orgiastic ecstacy of schadenfreude.
Happens all the time implicitly :)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I’m obsessed with this today. This is a particularly depressing read…

I can't unread that crap on fusing A/C cords to one direction. Even Paul came on and said that it is A/C current so it is changing every 16.7ms. A polite way of saying "Guys this is pure crap". They totally ignored Paul and continued defining insanity and lunacy by trying to explain the Official Synergistic answer to how it works. They said "It just does". Can't get any more scientific than that. So, even Paul is ignored when trying to get these morons to think about what they are actually saying and doing. Unbelievable.
Oh crap, Killingbeans beat me to this. oh well.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I think what Paul meant to say is that they should make themselves the fusible link in the system. Put your hand on one end of the fuse and the other hand on a water pipe. Then hang on for the ride. Afterwards I'm sure the thrill of being the fuse will be very exciting rather than just changing the fuse. When will the now organic fusible link blow? Who knows. It is all science!:D:facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think what Paul meant to say is that they should make themselves the fusible link in the system. Put your hand on one end of the fuse and the other hand on a water pipe. Then hang on for the ride. Afterwards I'm sure the thrill of being the fuse will be very exciting rather than just changing the fuse. When will the now organic fusible link blow? Who knows. It is all science!:D:facepalm:
A cold water pipe. Some newbies make the mistake of a hot water pipe, which may not be grounded.

Top Bottom