• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Ricin is actually really interesting stuff, both in terms of how it targets and gets into cells (binding and uptake via a carbohydrate-mediated process) and how it kills them (enzymatic disruption of protein biosynthesis by functional destruction of ribosomal RNA).

Sounds like a slow death :oops:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Anyway, we had a fairly large koi pond right outside the science building, and one of the more chromosomally-challenged of my classmates retrieved the block of it (preserved in oil I believe?) from the chemistry cabinet after class. You can see where this is going.

One of my classmates tried something similar. Only, it resulted in a pulverized toilet and a lot of water damage.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Usually a few days.

The goal of the immunoconjugates was to abrogate the innate cell surface carbohydrate mediated toxicity of ricin but to use it as the payload attached to a monoclonal antibody to target cancer cells. It wasn't a new idea (dating back to Paul Ehrlich's "magic bullet" hypothesis), but our wrinkle was a very specific modification of the carbohydrate-binding subunit ("B chain") of ricin (as opposed to just chemically removing it and using only the toxic "A chain", which was what most researchers and companies had been doing) to minimize 'off target effects' (so to speak). ;)

... but I digress.
:cool:

PS No, it didn't work all that well in the clinic, but it was a great gig for a "glycobiologist" (which is what we call ourselves).

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Me neither. It was only used for demonstration purposes, and the students weren't allowed to touch it. But it always just sat in a jar of mineral oil among all of the harmless stuff. Didn't take many brain cells, or the lack thereof, to plan a theft.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me neither. It was only used for demonstration purposes, and the students weren't allowed to touch it. But it always just sat in a jar of mineral oil among all of the harmless stuff. Didn't take many brain cells, or the lack thereof, to plan a theft.
No it doesn’t however the brain cells seem to have been selectively distributed in my classmate.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a relatively slow death. It inactivates ribosomes, essentially halting protein synthesis (and thus every enzymatic reaction in the body), although it only impacts cells with carbohydrate moeities on their surfaces (which is most of them). Time to lethality depends on route of ingestion—oral—>inhaled—>parenteral. Even the IV route takes up to 72 hours to cause death. The prodrome is exceedingly unpleasant however; and it would be pretty hard to get much accomplished before you went feet up. I’m baffled as to why castor plants evolved this stealthy defense mechanism if the beans are so impenetrable that they pass through the GI tract undisturbed.

Future anthropologists will be highly perplexed by the evolution of this thread. How did we get from snake oil to bioterrorism agents again?

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of my classmates tried something similar. Only, it resulted in a pulverized toilet and a lot of water damage.
Based on your screen name there’s a very exciting ricin topic going on in this thread. Should I be alarmed that you and @Palladium have suddenly taken interest in this chemical warfare topic on the Snake Oil thread?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nahh... My online nickname was inspired by this short animation back when I was young(er) and didn't realize how it would present itself later in life :D:
Synchronicity! I’m left to wonder whether the animators had castor beans in mind? To me lima beans are much more my mortal enemies…

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m obsessed with this today. This is a particularly depressing read…

egellings

Major Contributor
Don't understand the worry about fuse direction since AC goes both directions through those that fuse AC circuits.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Don't understand the worry about fuse direction since AC goes both directions through those that fuse AC circuits.
Yeah -- it's only for DC fuses that it matters!
By the way, what happens if we use an AC fuse for DC?
It's bad, isn't it?

ghostbusters-dont-cross-the-streams.gif

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

:facepalm:

That really is a depressing read. Not a hint of self awareness amongst the lot of them.

egellings

Major Contributor
Yeah -- it's only DC fuses that matter!
By the way, what happens if we use an AC fuse for DC.
It's bad, isn't it?

View attachment 353007
Fuses for DC when voltages are large enough can present a problem. Once the fuse blows under a fault condition in such a setting, the vaporized metal can form a plasma that keeps conducting and may start a fire. With AC, the zero-crossings allow the ark-over to stop and extinguish the continuous burn.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

I love how Paul of all people subtlety tried to make them use their brain a little, but got nothing but gibberish in return :D

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love how Paul of all people subtlety tried to make them use their brain a little, but got nothing but gibberish in return :D
As long as they keep plugging that I2S connector so he can sell more DirectStream/Perfectwave SACD/DAC combos.

Top Bottom