• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Willem

Major Contributor
Oxford bus station used to be a hell of diesel fumes. Apparently this is going to change. In our town nearly all busses have been electrical for the last few years, and it has made the city centre a lot cleaner, and quieter.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oxford bus station used to be a hell of diesel fumes. Apparently this is going to change. In our town nearly all busses have been electrical for the last few years, and it has made the city centre a lot cleaner, and quieter.
The bus station is mainly just long distance busses, London and airports. The local buses just have a stop every few hundred meters. There is a bus into the centre, where parking is expensive if you can find a place, the car parks are usually all full be 10 o'clock, every 10 minutes.
If the weather is bad and travelling as a family a car may be worth the gamble.

007Shortz

My car is actually pretty boring except for one thing, it has minimalist VanEssa camping equipment in the form of a bed and two drawers. The top drawer is my kitchen with an Iwatani stove and the bottom drawer is my pantry. It looks like a normal VW Caddy from the outside. Installation and removal with two screws within 15 minutes:
20190623_150911_small.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
A mate has something very similar in his VW Caddy van for mtb trips, good vans, I had a 2013 1.6 tdi highline and gave it to my brother 6 years ago but the 1.6tdi is an absolute money pit if injectors/dpf/turbo and associated sensors start playing up, just had a £4k bill to repair my brothers van :oops:

007Shortz

Mine is a petrol 1.4 tsi. I've never had a diesel before. I'm just too worried that I'll accidentally take the wrong fuel in a state of confusion. The power of habit.
But the 1.6 tdi is supposed to be a pretty good engine. Unfortunately, everything has become quite expensive in recent years, especially repairs.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
But the 1.6 tdi is supposed to be a pretty good engine.

It is…..until it’s not, 150bhp/340nm and I gave it to my bro with 120,000 miles on it but modern diesel emission equipment to meet regulations is an absolute money pit to replace when things go wrong, there’s zero chance I’d be buying a diesel made after 2015.

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
I have no desire to buy an electric car right now.
same here, still makes no sense at all for me

tho, i went for a Skoda, too,
a few sizes bigger than the Fabia...and from (a Corolla) HEV to Superb PHEV (i'm throwing cables from my balcony since it can only do 3.6KW charging max anyway on the 13something KWh battery which almost covers my weekly commute to work and back home)

1715796661161.png

sorry for the low quality pic, it's still from the dealer's, it looks damn blue here but in "neture" it's got a greener hue to it, almost like petroleum...love the sunroof tho

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad to hear that another EV maker is about to bite the dust.:(
RIP Fisker!
[You were a brilliant designer. FullStop]

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
My car is actually pretty boring except for one thing, it has minimalist VanEssa camping equipment in the form of a bed and two drawers. The top drawer is my kitchen with an Iwatani stove and the bottom drawer is my pantry. It looks like a normal VW Caddy from the outside. Installation and removal with two screws within 15 minutes:
View attachment 369669
Love it.

Now if they get full self driving sorted you could just have a nice nap while travelling to your destination. Unfortunately, going by Elon Musk's schedule, that will be some time around the turn of the century. :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was never a big fan of him or the VW group but this video is really a superbly made must watch for every IC car lover:

VW XL1 So Cool! Thanks @thewas

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love it.

Now if they get full self driving sorted you could just have a nice nap while travelling to your destination. Unfortunately, going by Elon Musk's schedule, that will be some time around the turn of the century. :)
I LOVE driving (almost as good as sex, even in heavy traffic). I would never want someone or something to drive for me.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was never a big fan of him or the VW group but this video is really a superbly made must watch for every IC car lover:
I guess I must be a fan as we have owned a 911 and a Coupe Quattro.
I guess I am not a fan as we have owned 5 Mazda rotaries!;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I must be a fan as we have owned a 911 and a Coupe Quattro.
I guess I am not a fan as we have owned 5 Mazda rotaries!;)
Rotaries are great fun!!! Apex seals: not so much.

The evinrude Johnson 4 rotor race motor​

27 Oct 2016
OMC (outboard motor company) built 4 rotor race motors in 1974 to compete with mercury in formula 1. It was based off of their 2 rotor snowmobile engine and produced 260hp at a displacement of 2112cc.
Mercury Marine managed to get them banned in 1976 because they where losing to them before they were even fully worked out.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The evinrude Johnson 4 rotor race motor​

27 Oct 2016
OMC (outboard motor company) built 4 rotor race motors in 1974 to compete with mercury in formula 1. It was based off of their 2 rotor snowmobile engine and produced 260hp at a displacement of 2112cc.
Mercury Marine managed to get them banned in 1976 because they where losing to them before they were even fully worked out.
Rumor is you just put Marvel Mystery Oil in each tank of gas, and never let the RPM drop below 4000. Then your apex seals last forever. Everything else, maybe not so much. ;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rumor is you just put Marvel Mystery Oil in each tank of gas, and never let the RPM drop below 4000. Then your apex seals last forever. Everything else, maybe not so much. ;)
Yes, yes.
Much like the early to mid 70's Kawasaki Moto Cross bikes. If you did not rebuild them between races, you were riding a grenade with an interment amount of fuse (but for sure, it would blow before you crossed the finish line).

Completely Insane 250 Two Stroke Racing - Dead Last to Podium!​

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Only, if you've driven one. It takes time for the brain to acclimate to shifting near 9,000rpm RedLine.
Those seals (class-action resultant warranty repairs) helped me partially pay for tuition.;)
"...In June 2023, the company [Mazda] resumed mass production of vehicles with rotary engines for the first time in approximately 11 years since the end of production of the Mazda RX-8 in 2012. Currently, the Mazda MX-30 e-SKYACTIV R-EV, the 12th model that mounts a rotary engine, has been introduced in Japan and Europe..."
Link
\/\/The rotary-hybrid Mazda Iconic SP concept debuted at the Japan Mobility Show in October 2023.\/\/
202405_MazdaRotary.jpg

Some SoCal gear-heads were playing around with a 3-rotor version, while getting NA-no boost) 500+HP on the dyno, stuffed inside a 2004 Camaro.:cool:

Last edited: