• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spending big bucks on HiFi Audio

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In another forum I belong to, a member just mentioned buying an $83,000 preamp. Which I personally find a little disgusting as far as spending money goes. But it's not my money. Nor will I ever have that much to throw away on one stereo item.
I don't find it disgusting but I do wonder what benefits they think they are getting over, say, a $2K pre-amp.

Now if they replied 'I know there's none but I just liked the look of it' I'd be fine with that. But that's almost certainly not what they'd say.

JimBean

I don't find it disgusting but I do wonder what benefits they think they are getting over, say, a $2K pre-amp.

Now if they replied 'I know there's none but I just liked the look of it' I'd be fine with that. But that's almost certainly not what they'd say.
Well, he ordered a VAC Statement Line Preamp, in custom silver flake finish, so I'm sure he believes it is totally worth all that money. He also made sure to note that his sister isn't going to get any of his money when he dies. So an all around great guy.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
He also made sure to note that his sister isn't going to get any of his money when he dies. So an all around great guy.
Maybe she bullied him as a kid. LOL

Lord only knows how it measures or sounds but for sure a very expensive component to manufacture.
I'm sure sound quality wise, it can be equaled or surpassed for a couple hundred bucks.

That's one hell of a Volume Control, wow.
"The volume control is a massive one-pound multisection potentiometer some two inches long and nearly two inches in diameter, with machined brass shielding between the sections and against the outside world. This extraordinary part is critical in obtaining the highest fidelity in the world. A custom engineered VAC motor drive system allows the volume to be adjusted by remote control."

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom